DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

43 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm still heartbroken for Eddie Kingston. All his promos, all his interviews made me believe in his journey, and I wanted to see it culminate in a world title win.

I love Eddie Kingston, and this story was perfect...but it's ending was, too. Sometimes you can dedicate your life to reaching the peak, but what if you fail? I'm intrigued by where Eddie goes from here: the story has so much potential this way, in his picking himself up to succeed or fall further. And I hate to say it, but Moxley totally outclassed Eddie as an athlete: Mox looks like the part of a world champion, and Eddie looked the part of a guy toiling on the indies for 18 years and got his lucky break...and that's as far as the dream goes.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Really good show, I agree it ran a little long and one match could have been cut.

FTR/Bucks was pretty good. I didn't have much of an issue with the finish, Cash has been busting out more and more lucha moves he could barely hit to show up the Bucks and it finally backfired on him, they got cocky and paid for it.

Page/Omega was really good although it did feel like the first match in a series. Loved the struggle to hit the OWA but when he did it was over. 

Cody/Darby was fine. I'm not really into either guy at this point, I don't know what Cody is going for and Darby's brooding isn't that appealing to me. Glad we can go in a new direction with the TNT title.

Main event was perfect, a brutal fight for respect that ended the way it should have. Kingston may have been a face in real life but he's a shitty heel in kayfabe and got what was coming to him.

Lots of great stuff has been set up and some questionable angles are behind us, I think what I'm most excited about is AEW moving towards new things now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I love Eddie Kingston, and this story was perfect...but it's ending was, too. Sometimes you can dedicate your life to reaching the peak, but what if you fail? I'm intrigued by where Eddie goes from here: the story has so much potential this way, in his picking himself up to succeed or fall further. And I hate to say it, but Moxley totally outclassed Eddie as an athlete: Mox looks like the part of a world champion, and Eddie looked the part of a guy toiling on the indies for 18 years and got his lucky break...and that's as far as the dream goes.

What about Mick Foley?

Anyone else feel that having commentary during the Elite Deletion match kinda killed the magic of what a Deletion Match is?

I’m also pissed Sammy didn’t go into the Lake of Reincarnation and come out in his panda head dress abs be all mad about it.

Other then that I liked the show. I wouldn’t of had The Bucks win I would have had them loose then shove JR out of the chair then Excalibur sticks up for Jim gets into it physically with the Bucks and takes a Meltzer on the concrete I’d have turned the Bucks Heel. 

MJF with the Eddie tribute of playing dead only to roll Chris up for the 3 when Chris was arguing with the ref I thought was genius.

Im bummed Eddie lost but I agree with what @Marty Sugarsaid about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

They’ve said in the past they want to basically tour around and wrestle the best tags team globally. I can see something like that in their AEW contracts.

I’d be totally down if they  showed up on Impact challenging The North. 

Post WWE Pre AEW they did an hour long interview with Jim Cornette, now its about half shoot/ half in character but they did say they didn't have a contract just a handshake deal with Tony Khan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

More and more I feel like like Eddie is a hero in an ancient greek tragedy. He has to come up just short at the end of his journey. His character also reminds me of Killmonger in Black Panther, he's the villain but you understand him and sympathize with him 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

My top five AEW Matches in no particular order as I need to think on that:

Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes, AEW Double or Nothing 2019. *****.

Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson, AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

Kenny Omega vs. PAC's Iron Man match on AEW Dynamite, 26th February 2020.

Stadium Stampede. AEW Double or Nothing II 2020.

Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson, AEW Full Gear II.

Am I missing something?

What's yours?

I would definitely would have Bucks/Lucha Brothers ladder match from All Out in there, and strongly consider the Best Friends/Santana and Ortiz parking lot brawl from Dynamite. My sort of darkhorse match for consideration would be Mox/Brodie Lee from Double or Nothing II (Mox's best overall match in AEW in my opinion, and definitely his best regular match).

Loved the PPV on the whole, but like many people in this thread, watched it in a very good mood for certain reasons. Bucks/FTR was everything you could have dreamed up, and best FTR I've ever seen (and I'm a big fan, and loved their stuff with American Alpha and DIY in NXT). I could see an eventual re-match main eventing a PPV. Hangman/Omega was simultaneously really good, while wisely leaving a little bit in the holster for their eventual re-match when Hangman wins the title. Mox/Kingston was very good, a couple of steps below Tully/Magnum and Flair/Funk I Quit Matches, but still a very good blow-off for the feud. I am a huge fan of Cody, but Darby winning just felt right. Also, if we are not going full Kenny heel just yet, it would be fine to turn Cody heel (and have hell Cody versus Darby re-match at Revolution). Very much in line with the common thought on Jericho/MJF (okay enough, but definitely worst match on show), women's match (very good, but a touch below their match at Double or Nothing II), and Orange/Silver (fun match, good cool down after Kenny/Hangman). Finally, I absolutely loved Final Deletion, though the end may have gone a touch far (but that actually is a fitting conclusion to the feud). I'm glad that AEW adds fun to the great serious work, and in a PPV full of high-level action, mixing in this wackiness is the perfect complement to the rest of the show. With his performances Wednesday, and tonight, this should be Sammy's last PPV match as a heel for awhile. He can definitely be a high-level heel again in his career, but he is due for a face turn now.

• Thanks 1

As glad as I am Darby finally won the big one, I hope he drops the title on Thursday to Starks (with or without Hobbs heel turn).

Don't feel like Darby needs the title, is better chasing it, and gives guys something to do (Hobbs/Starks/Cage vs Dustin/Cody/Darby could be fun).

Concerned at the pace they're going through programs at the moment though. Page and the Elite aside, every other program seems to be burned through in 6 weeks. 

Theres a lot of guys with statuses of "where now?" and generally you have to be optimistic about some of it, but for the most part I dont see them doing much but wheel spinning.

19 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I love Eddie and it's cool that he was trying to pay homage to Misawa, but the Green and White outfit he had did not suit him AT ALL! I'm so used to seeing Eddie in black and yellow and it just didn't work for me. It's a real shame too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

This was wonderfully put and spot on. Sometimes the guy who's very unlikely to beat the odds, just does not beat those odds. Pick yourself up from the ground, pick up the pieces and go back to the grind, because it's the only thing you know. Let's see, where he goes from here, as you said.

• Like 2

So quick note while catching up on the thread but I did reach out to Godfrey and Natural this morning about Discord.  So as long as it's still around hopefully they'll be able to join for the next show.

Man, what a helluva show that was.  I was busy being party host but caught what I possibly could.  But while I did see the main matches I feel I'll be going back and re-watching some of them when I'm not distracted.  But we had a great time whether it was celebrating something else (you know) or just laughing our asses off at the Deletion match.  And I agree it was their best PPV to date which is incredible considering it was in the pandemic era.

The only thing that wasn't pointed out yet was I absolutely loved Nyla with the Mega Man gear.  That was pretty cool to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I feel like Shida/Nyla has been underrated.  Not saying it was great or anything, but they have weirdly good chemistry, despite Nyla seemingly getting worse in recent months.  They came into the match ice cold but did a great job heating things up in the ring. I liked the role reversals from their DON match, with Shida being the dominant champ and kicking ass, until Vickie’s interference, and ultimately winning in decisive, emphatic fashion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I feel like Shida/Nyla has been underrated.  Not saying it was great or anything, but they have weirdly good chemistry, despite Nyla seemingly getting worse in recent months.  They came into the match ice cold but did a great job heating things up in the ring. I liked the role reversals from their DON match, with Shida being the dominant champ and kicking ass, until Vickie’s interference, and ultimately winning in decisive, emphatic fashion.

I kinda thought Nyla looked a lot better out there than she did in their last outing, but to each their own

Props to Moxley , I read that its was him that wanted to Headline a PPV with Kingston in such a quick time frame. By the time the match took place people were split between who they thought would win and People were so invested in Kingston. Its no real surprise anyway because Kingston is the best modern wrestler and selling an match. I'm glad he didn't take WWE offer as a trainer because he'd be wasted like Hero was, for that matter I hope they cross paths again in AEW at some point, bring that feud to the mainstream,Hero hasn't lost a step

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, TheVileOne said:

What about Mick Foley?

This is like when people say "Real Wrestlers Wear Proper Gear!" and then people ask, "What about John Cena?" It's an exception to the rule, that in itself reinforces said rule. Mick Foley came along at the right place at the right time and found a special niche within the wrestling community. I'm not remotely suggesting that Eddie cannot do the same in this day and age, but on a national scale I don't feel he has...yet. I hope he does, though: he fucking deserves it.

29 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

This is like when people say "Real Wrestlers Wear Proper Gear!" and then people ask, "What about John Cena?" It's an exception to the rule, that in itself reinforces said rule. Mick Foley came along at the right place at the right time and found a special niche within the wrestling community. I'm not remotely suggesting that Eddie cannot do the same in this day and age, but on a national scale I don't feel he has...yet. I hope he does, though: he fucking deserves it.

I think my point with Mick Foley is if one guy was able to do that, then someone else can do it again. It's not unprecedented.