DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

One thing I really enjoyed with Silver and Orange was the manner of the finish. Cassidy wins with the shock Mouse Trap against established guys ahead of him on the pecking order and hits the punch and beach break for those below. Wish we'd see more stuff like that from others.

• Like 2

Great show. Serena/Allysin was pretty good stuff as expected. Omega/Hangman delivered, though I would've liked to go a little longer. the Cinderella feud video package is my favorite thing to come of all the build to this show.  Cody/Darby was good even if I'm sad to see Cody lose the title again already. I thought Cody liked being the American Nightmare Cody and wasn't going to use the Rhodes name, but his intro was amusing with Justin Roberts unusually subdued until the big Rhodes announcement. Neat finish coming in the reversal sequence felt rare, though the exposed buckle spot seemed pointless. I predicted back in May during the initial tournament that Darby would be the guy to beat Cody for the title eventually. In hindsight I kinda wish the Brodie switch didn't happen. 

Loved Hikaru/Nyla again, much like their last match. They work great together and I always come away feeling like Hikaru is just the best. Loved the falcon arrows and the finishing knees was pretty cool. FTR/Bucks delivered the goods, great stuff there. Overall FTR's reign felt kind of surprisingly short and it seemed like they just started that 20 minute match thing on TV, but that above tweet does kind of sound like taking a leave so who knows. Glad this match finally happened even if the build wasn't perfect. 

I'm in the minority but I absolutely loved The Elite Deletion. A perfect trip back to the true Broken Universe. As a huge fan of the original Impact stuff, this was great to see. Marked for Gangrel appearing and Matt explaining to Hurricane how they were long term storytelling from two years ago. "Get up before old people think this is a mud show" classic. Jericho/MJF was fine, not great or bad, but I did like Jericho's top rope rana. Main event was perfectly brutal as expected, although it's another I would've liked to seen go a little longer with that build. Moxley is the man and comes off rightfully as such. I wonder when Moxley/Omega happens with Revolution not until the end of February but it should be another great one.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

That was a fantastic show, top to bottom!

One thing before I crash...one of my favorite JRisms these days is his fandom of Chicago PD and Hank Voight. He's repeated it on his pods a few times but I think this was its first mention on AEW TV. Just so out of left field lol.

My top five AEW Matches in no particular order as I need to think on that:

Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes, AEW Double or Nothing 2019. *****.

Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson, AEW Revolution 2020. *****.

Kenny Omega vs. PAC's Iron Man match on AEW Dynamite, 26th February 2020.

Stadium Stampede. AEW Double or Nothing II 2020.

Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson, AEW Full Gear II.

Am I missing something?

What's yours?

• Thanks 1

Wardlow was my favourite part of the Jericho vs. MJF match, he basically does everything that Hager does but better. Can't wait for him to snap and start launching people into the Atlantic.

Was really impressed by the women's match; Glad to see Shida bringing some real fire. Not exactly a heel turn, but I can see her booting some nice girls in the face a lot easier now.

I was wondering how the fact there were two Flags of Victory going up for the Young Bucks in the build up, (the stip and the injury,) would affect the match; do they cancel each other out? Turns out, no. Although with JR talking up Nick Jackson's singles potential I was still hoping for an FTR win as the match was going on. There's something about the Young Bucks that I just don't like, but I guess they're pretty good.

Glad they put Darby over before he breaks himself. I love watching him move but goddamn he just makes every spill look as awkward as possible.

Edited by DangerMark
Grammar.

I agree with FTR. The Revival vs. #DIY from NXT TakeOver: Toronto is the best tag team match of this generation. The best tag team match of all time is Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue, AJPW, 9th June 1995.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

FTR never got the All Elite graphic, did they? Dax might be working everyone, but that feels like a "goodbye for now" tweet.

They’ve said in the past they want to basically tour around and wrestle the best tags team globally. I can see something like that in their AEW contracts.

I’d be totally down if they  showed up on Impact challenging The North. 

Enjoyed that immensely. With the exception of Hardy over Sammy every result either went the way I wanted it (OC, Shida, MJF, Darby) or I understood and could see the storyline reasons for going the other way. 

Some things I loved and haven't seen mentioned:

sad Hangman lurking in the tunnel

MJFs light up robe

"now that's what I call a squash job" 

Sammy running away from things

Silver ripping out OC's pockets

Silver's 1 arm gorilla press slam ?

• Like 2

The only match on the card I didn't enjoy at all was Shida/Nyla.  It's time to get the belt off Shida,  I don't know what the contract situation is with Thunder Rosa and the other NWA women but their matches have been so far superior to the current AEW women's roster and it was also weird to not have Dr. Britt on the show. 

Brit should be next. I get wanting to extend Shida's run but she's not quite good enough to carry the division and needs help that she is definitely not going to get more often than she needs. Brit probably won't fare any better but at least the build to matches should be fun. And Rosa showed up during the pre show to challenge Deeb. 

I checked cagematch's community ratings for the show and am stunned to see Cody vs. Darby not even ranked. Here I am thinking it was close to five stars in that it told a consistently logical story and had a tonne of drama. I preferred it to the tag match to be honest though I can see why others liked that match more. It was close. Show gave us three fantastic matches, a good but disappointing main event, and some really fun supporting matches.

Did Mox ever feel at risk of saying I quit once? Didn't feel like it even with the gimmicks. I vacillate on Moxley but that's another big show match that was overshadowed and this time by three other matches. Part of it was the show was too long (that's a lesson I hope TK learns because every ppv it's the same) but part of it is on Moxley. Omega still hasn't hit his stride in AEW as a singles competitor. The matches with Pac were probably closer and he has a way better match with Hangman in him too. That match was a bit wonky due to the knee strain and abrupt ending. 

• Like 1

Wow. I was emotionally exhausted after that match between Moxley and Kingston. That was outstanding from all aspects of story telling. I actually found myself getting a little teary eyed when Moxley was choking Eddie out with the barbwire. I can not remember the last time that has happened for me while watching a match. I found myself so damn invested in Eddie Kingston winning the title. Moxley saying I Quit was always an impossibility, but I was hoping it could happen.

From top to bottom the show was great. Only thing as usual is it went on too damn long. I would have put that Silver/Cassidy match on Dynamite to open the show next week. John Silver reminds me of a very amped up Crash Holly. I can totally see Mr. Brody getting upset with Silver becoming a star on his own and he ends up kicking him out of the Dark Order. Brody/Silver would be some fun matches.

Kenny/Hangman has a great match as I expected they would.  I figured Eddie would win so Omega could eventually take the title off him. But I guess we're gonna get Omega/Moxley and this time Kenny wants none of the hardcore stuff.

FTR/Bucks I think lived up to the hype. I just wish they had more of an official build rather than "oh they've been shit talking each other on twitter for a few years". Of all the ways to lose, Cash going for Springboard flip was amazing. The eventual rematch in a steel cage is going to be good. I wonder if they can build this all up to a scaffold match at Revolution? Though who knows if they hold the titles that long if Matt has a bad knee.

Jericho/MJF I thought was a bit of a let down despite it being a good match. I think Jericho needs to transition into being a manager. I mean he's still on his game, but man his body is starting to look like hell from all that drinking he does. Jericho as a manager/commentator who occasionally wrestles still would be a perfect role. I still see MJF stealing The Inner Circle out from and then we get MJF/Sammy which is going to be an amazing feud. 

I was glad Shida retained the women's title. But where do they go from here? Unless they are building to a unification match with the NWA Women's championship, they really need to figure out this women's division. But overall a highly enjoyable show.

• Like 2

Absolutely loved Omega-Page.  And I like wishing it had gone longer.  I look forward to the re-match (for the AEW title).  Bucks-FTR was really good.  I may need to re-watch to see the elevated praise, but I liked it a lot as expected.  The build was too poor for it to be the Main Event, but I was kinda hoping nonetheless.  

Allin-Cody and OC-Silver were both really good too.  

I probably should have watched this show in two parts with a break.  Even watching on tape delay (this morning) with the  fast forward option over Shida-Nyla, the Hardy Bullshit and MJF-Jericho (I just had no interest in seeing these two wrestle and the clips in between FFwding  confirmed this) I found the lengthy running time exhausting (as per usual).  As is the case with a lot of these AEWPPV shows I got to the Moxley main event and had less interest than I would have liked.  As solid as this match with Kingston was I've got Moxley-style-main-event-fatigue.   

This was most definitely a solid show, but I'd love for AEW to trim about 50 minutes off.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I missed Omega/Page and most of Orange/Silver. The only two matches I liked were Cody/Darby (although the lack of heel turn by Cody at the end was...counter-productive, maybe?), and Mox/Kingston. I felt Jericho/MJF was clunky, as  heel-heel matches often are, and Shida/Nyla was downright bad: hopefully this tantrum by Vickie means Nyla can become a face, because as a heel she cannot carry a match whatsoever. Bucks/FTR was overdone and mostly ridiculous, which is sad but to be expected. Matt/Sammy was fun for what it was, and while not the best of these backyard matches Matt has had, it told a good story that took  most of the Inner Circle away from the PPV itself; and hey, Hurricane and Gangrel AND Senior Benjamin!

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

I missed Omega/Page and most of Orange/Silver. The only two matches I liked were Cody/Darby (although the lack of heel turn by Cody at the end was...counter-productive, maybe?), and Mox/Kingston. I felt Jericho/MJF was clunky, as  heel-heel matches often are, and Shida/Nyla was downright bad: hopefully this tantrum by Vickie means Nyla can become a face, because as a heel she cannot carry a match whatsoever. Bucks/FTR was overdone and mostly ridiculous, which is sad but to be expected. Matt/Sammy was fun for what it was, and while not the best of these backyard matches Matt has had, it told a good story that took  most of the Inner Circle away from the PPV itself; and hey, Hurricane and Gangrel AND Senior Benjamin!

Absolutely agree on Bucks/FTR being overdone. Asides from not liking the finish, I thought it was far too rehearsed for the match to become an "ode to the legends" with all the finishers from tag teams of the past that were used. They spammed the match.... and I absolutely hated the double submission spot.

I expected more of a Rock N Roll vs Midnight's vibe... but FTR hasn't quite clicked with me since they left NXT and no longer had DIY or Aa to work off of.

I dont want them to take the belt off Shida... yet. I don't think the division is ready for a comedic champion with zero credibility like Britt Baker.... and Nyla I just don't see much progress in over the last year. 

Really curious what they do with Hangman and Cody. Every other major singles player came out of this show with a clear next step (unless you include Brodie), and we are clearly headed to Hangman/Omega 2 around this time next year, but it’s not clear what’s in store next for either of these guys.

I guess you could tie it all together and have Page blame FTR for his life going to shit, recruit Cody to help and then put an exclamation point on Cody’s heel turn by doing it against the most sympathetic guy on the roster. Then Page spending 1H 2021 rebuilding himself Rocky 3 style. But lots of options here 

Edited by For Great Justice

I'm still heartbroken for Eddie Kingston. All his promos, all his interviews made me believe in his journey, and I wanted to see it culminate in a world title win. It reminds me a little bit of Raven when he came into TNA. And I remember when Raven did win the NWA World title it was sort of an era of good feelings for the company. 

I'm not sure why Brodie Lee couldn't have been the guy to lose the TNT title to Darby. I'm assuming because Cody and Darby had that past history with their first two matches, so this time they wanted to have Darby come through and pick up the win. But they sort of transitioned to this match rather quickly when Darby was really feuding with Team Taz.

I wouldn't have had the Bucks go over here, but I think they messed up with the never getting a title shot again with a loss stipulation. If anything, I feel like the Bucks should've lost here, and then really sell the run of FTR as champs a while longer before they come through the next time. FTR only had two months as champion, I think they could've sold that run a little more at least to Revolution.