DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've said it a few times now, but there's nothing wrong with Eddie winning on Saturday and then dropping the title back to Mox in a few weeks on a special edition of Dynamite. Basically, Eddie submits Moxley, but Moxley never says "I quit." Gives Moxley a reason to get a rematch and then we move onto Moxley vs Kenny.

Fine idea if Saturday's match were a regular match, but it's an "I Quit" match. You're suggesting they not deliver on the advertised stipulation for a PPV title match. Bad idea IMO.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

AEW lost to NXT because NXT put on a PPV style show while Dynamite was your run of the mill Dynamite. It would be weird and a bad sign if NXT didn't come close to having more viewers, let alone winning the night outright.

I hope one day someone's delusional enough about me to make excuses for everything I do that sucks. Putting the belt on Omega is a mistake. This isn't Japan and promos matter, and his are the hottest of trash. His delivery is weird and unrelatable, and in a world where Mox and Kingston (among others) are on the same show has him, his ring work isn't strong enough to hide what a dogshit promo he is.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Fine idea if Saturday's match were a regular match, but it's an "I Quit" match. You're suggesting they not deliver on the advertised stipulation for a PPV title match. Bad idea IMO.

Agreed. The stipulation is the only thing that is holding me back from actually thinking Kingston could win. I just don't see a world where Jon Moxley says I quit unless like The Butcher is going to press slam Renee Young into a vat of acid and even then I'm not so sure. 

2 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Nothing could make it less true (because it is false).

Then why did AEW lose on Wednesday for the first time in weeks with him in the main event? His numbers aren't strong. Y'all are obsessed with shit that happened in Japan. This isn't Japan and Kenny isn't a draw in America.

I feel like the Police Chief in TMNT. "You're reminded of something that supposedly happened YEARS AGO IN JAPAN!!!"

Edited by just drew
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Was it terrible when Austin didn't actually submit to Bret Hart?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Slightly different, because that was a Submission match, not an I Quit. The point wasn't to make someone say "I quit" but to make them give up, which Austin's body literally did. He got the moral victory, but he definitely 100% lost the match per the stipulation.

I'd love for Kingston to win, but in the end it won't hurt him to say "I quit", because he is the heel and should have some false bravado in him. Moxley losing via shenanigans would be silly. If they want King to win, I'm sure they could find someway for Mox to say "I quit" without killing the character. I haven't agreed with a lot of their booking decisions, but I feel like they have a good handle on Moxley.

Edited by elizium

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I hope one day someone's delusional enough about me to make excuses for everything I do that sucks. Putting the belt on Omega is a mistake. This isn't Japan and promos matter, and his are the hottest of trash. His delivery is weird and unrelatable, and in a world where Mox and Kingston (among others) are on the same show has him, his ring work isn't strong enough to hide what a dogshit promo he is.

I'll admit I wasn't familiar with Omega prior to him joining AEW. I knew of him, but never watched any of his matches. A year later, I'm not sure what his gimmick is exactly. To me he seems like a huge weaboo, but surely that can't be it.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

So here’s ratings for the Omega main event Dynamite’s vs NXT. I used Cagematch which was annoying to scroll through and click and then googled ratings results. I just went back to Feb. 

February 26th - vs PAC (Ironman Man) * NXT had Charlotte Flair in the Main Event

Dynamite 865,00 / NXT 717,000

March 25th - vs Sammy Guevara (AAA  SuperduperIforgetthenameofthebelt Title Match) * Jericho segment with Matt Hardy did close the show. NXT has Matt Riddle vs Roderick Strong followed by a HHH promo with Chiampa and Gargano.

Dynamite 819,000 / NXT 669,000

May 6th - w/ Matt Hardy vs Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara (Falls Count Anywhere Street Fight) * NXT’s main event had Charlotte Flair.

Dynamite 732,000 vs 693,000

July 1st - W/ Hangman Adam Page vs Best Friends (Fyter Fest night 1) * NXT’s main event had Sasha Banks

Dynamite 747,000 / NXT 792,000

October 28th vs Pentagon * NXT was Halloween Havoc

Dynamite 781,000 / NXT 876,000

If someone wants to go deeper with hourly numbers or demos, I included the dates you can dig further for more information.

I have no dog in the argument. I like to see everything play out. Maybe they hit the right storyline to make or break his eventual (I assume) title run. 

Using an argument of most recent ratings is fair, but you should include both context and a larger sample size. Kenny lost out to Halloween Havoc and Sasha Banks. Omega beat Charlotte Flair twice and the NXT squad an additional time.

Take that for what you will and hopefully this adds to both your discussion.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fair point. But as Elizium pointed out, a submissions match and an "I Quit" match aren't precisely the same thing. Also, that was an iconic moment in wrestling history, so it's unsurprising that the ending didn't piss off fans. Sure, Moxley and Kingston are probably capable of delivering something just as good, but counting on them to do so seems risky to me.

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

The problem is that they did the "passing out" finish already. 

See, that doesn't strike me as a problem. It would just make Kingston a bigger heel having him happily accept the title on those terms after whining for weeks about how he didn't submit to Moxley.

I feel like we’ll see Best Friends vs Best Mens added to the PPV this week.  

And/or some kind of big shmoz match to get a bunch of other guys on the show.  No Team Taz on the show right now seems like an oversight.

They announced 1000 fans at Full Gear. Do we have a rough idea of what they've been running lately? 1000 seems like many times what they have. Wrestling is all about emotion and crowd buy-in but fuck that sounds like a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They announced 1000 fans at Full Gear. Do we have a rough idea of what they've been running lately? 1000 seems like many times what they have. Wrestling is all about emotion and crowd buy-in but fuck that sounds like a bad idea.

I think it was about 300 or so. But with how much TK is adamant about following guidelines they'll be spaced out enough where ideally there shouldn't be an issue. At least they're not going full Florida and having a capacity crowd. 

So this is it right? Tully Blanchard has been barred from ringside in the FTR vs Young Bucks match. This has to be the night, finally, that Arn Anderson teams up with Tully and creates the new Apocalypse.

Have Anderson “accidentally” cost Cody the TNT title earlier in the PPV.  Then in the final match of the night Anderson replaces Tully in managing FTR and Young Bucks lose and creation of Four Horsemen stands tall right in the middle of the ring as Full Gear fades to black.

This is the time...correct?....Tony?

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Seeing all the clips with fans during the Kenny/Hangman Cinderella video really hammered home how much the big crowds are missed.

• Like 1