DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

While it might be for the Buy In good for Silver anyway.  I heard a lot of love for him not long after he first joined Dark Order.  So it's been great seeing him showcased more and I'm looking forward to it.  Plus since it'll be on Fite anyway it'll be a funny conversation piece before the main show.

If there were full arena crowds now, they'd be forced into doing a Dark Order dissension angle by the fact that they're a heel faction but Silver is over as a top face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If there were full arena crowds now, they'd be forced into doing a Dark Order dissension angle by the fact that they're a heel faction but Silver is over as a top face.

I could imagine a huge "Johnny Hungie *clap clap clap clap clap*" breaking out during his shine spot in the 4 way tag match alright. 

• Like 2

It just dawned on me that if not for the pandemic there's a good chance I would have seen this live.  They were intending to make Baltimore their traditional place for Full Gear (similar to DoN being in Vegas)  and I can only imagine how wild this would have been.  That shit really bums me out now.  So assuming everything's back to normal I'm hoping if/when they do come back they put on something that's worthwhile.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

It just dawned on me that if not for the pandemic there's a good chance I would have seen this live.  They were intending to make Baltimore their traditional place for Full Gear (similar to DoN being in Vegas)  and I can only imagine how wild this would have been.  That shit really bums me out now.  So assuming everything's back to normal I'm hoping if/when they do come back they put on something that's worthwhile.

I don't doubt you'll get something worthwhile whenever things return to normal. I got cheated out of Blood & Guts, so I'm sure whenever AEW makes its Newark debut, it's going to kick all kinds of ass.

• Like 1

I definitely think Hangman can win this match, and Kenny take it is not a foregone conclusion.

Its always good to remember that these PPV #1 contender matches typically result in Dynamite title matches, not PPV title matches.  It’s hard for me to imagine them giving away Mox/Omega II on TV.

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

I definitely think Hangman can win this match, and Kenny take it is not a foregone conclusion.

Its always good to remember that these PPV #1 contender matches typically result in Dynamite title matches, not PPV title matches.  It’s hard for me to imagine them giving away Mox/Omega II on TV.

It's hard for me to imagine them burning Hangman's challenge that way too, especially if he's coming off a huge win like one over Omega. Maybe they'll put it off until Revolution?

Although, if Hangman loses to Mox on a special episode of Dynamite, you can have Kenny talk shit about how Hangman is just too much of a tag team wrestler and how Hangman can't win the big one. Kenny trying to gaslight everyone when Hangman was the one winning matches for them would be one of the more unique and newer ways of making someone a heel. 

Then Kenny beats Mox at Revolution and we begin the build to Kenny vs Hangman where Hangman wins the big one.

Although, I still say that it would be a good idea to at least have Eddie win the title on Saturday and then drop it back to Mox in 3 or 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

It's hard for me to imagine them burning Hangman's challenge that way too, especially if he's coming off a huge win like one over Omega. Maybe they'll put it off until Revolution?

You can easily have Omega cost Hangman the match to continue their feud while protecting Mox/Page for the future.

Granted, Kenny has been allergic to presenting himself in an overtly heel manner in all of this, so it’s entirely possible such a defining moment will never come.

50 minutes ago, EVA said:

You can easily have Omega cost Hangman the match to continue their feud while protecting Mox/Page for the future.

Granted, Kenny has been allergic to presenting himself in an overtly heel manner in all of this, so it’s entirely possible such a defining moment will never come.

This is true, and it would be a good way to show Page is on the world title level while letting him cook a little longer. It's tough for me to tell if Hangman is ready to be champ without fuller crowds but I suspect it's still too early. 

Having a fuck finish to the title match earned through a month's long tournament and a big marquee PPV match seems like a bad idea. Omega will likely beat Hangman to earn the shot, Omega will beat Moxley at Revolution, and when it's time, Hangman beats Omega for the title. WWF has made wrestling way too complicated, hah.

• Like 1

Unless they move Revolution up on the calendar, you’re talking about putting the word title on ice for a long-ass time, if Kenny/Mox doesn’t happen until then.  Hard to see that happening with ratings being so important for them.

They can sell it as a title shot at the next PPV. Mox can beat up yet another midcarder or two to kill time. It feels like that's been his entire title run but they are lacking super duper top stars, so it is what it is. Maybe they do a men's world title change on TV, but they haven't done it yet and I don't know why you'd give away a match that's already headlined a PPV on free TV when they've done such a good job of saving the few marquee matches they have for PPVs.

They could do it that way, but these AEW contender matches have always been for “the next shot,” even if not explicitly stated as such, so it would be weird for them to change now, especially as it would leave them with 3 months of lame duck Mox side-story defenses and Kenny sitting around waiting (which would be heelish but doesn’t necessarily do anything to help heat him up; and based on the ratings last week, he still needs to be heated up).

Plus, if you put off Mox/Kenny to Revolution, then by extension you’re also putting off Kenny/Hangman to some point after that, because you’re obviously not blowing that rematch on TV ahead of Kenny getting the belt in that scenario.  And, whoo boy, does that storyline not need to be artificially dragged out at a snail’s pace for another 3 months.

Mox/Kenny at Revolution doesn’t do anything to help those 3 guys. 

Edited by EVA

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I don't expect Kingston to knock off Mox on Saturday...but what if Kingston knocks off Mox on Saturday? 

Kingston to Omega then? That I could see happening on TNT. And it would save Omega/Mox for another time. AND it would rule.

• Like 1

That could work. Omega can say he wants to face Moxley to avenge his loss in the lights out match and bide his time, playing up his cockiness that it's only a matter of time for him anyway and he's waited this long, what's another few months?

I know there are a handful of people on here that don't see Omega as a star or ready to win the title or think he never should win the title, but this is his big moment in AEW and I think they've saved the big moments for PPV barring TNT title changes (it's a TV title, so that makes sense), one women's title change iirc, and Omega/Hangman winning the tag gold at their first true, "named," televised special.  If they follow 2020's specials run, they have the homecoming episode, anniversary episode, and Bash at the Beach all in January. Moxley can win the title back at Bash from Kingston and that sets up the Omega match for February. But with COVID, no cruise, and basically being restricted to Daily's Place, who knows if they do BatB in January again. Either way, they could run it back in January at whatever special they want to do and Mox regains the title there.

If anybody has overdelivered in their time in AEW, it's Eddie Kingston. He came in on what was a one-off, impressed so much so that there was a fan campaign to get him signed, he then made sense of what seemed at the time silly booking with the whining about Mox not taking Eddie with him to WWE, and has crushed it on the mic and in angles. He made a disparate group pair of tag teams fit with his past connections to each of them. The first Moxley match and the Cody match were both great, particularly the latter. That match was short but one of the best matches I've seen from 2020. Moxley beating up midcarders has been fun but I think it's become too predictable and I've not had any serious doubt about a title change in any of his defenses. He's done some great work on the mic and his in-ring psychology and general ability has come a long way since his WWE run. He may even well be pushing for it. I don't love short world championship runs, but Kingston could make it work. I don't think they do it and instead they find something else to fill the void between PPVs but I would love to see Kingston get a brief run. We all would. Only problem is there's no way you can justify badass babyface Jon Moxley saying "I quit" without shenanigans and I don't want the title changing hands on shenanigans. The stip kind of gives away the finish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I know there are a handful of people on here that don't see Omega as a star...

I kind of think it's just one nincompoop who keeps popping into the AEW threads and endlessly repeating the same dumb idea that Kenny is not a star in North America. 

Definitely there are a few people who don't like Kenny because he makes funny faces and does video game gestures. 

You were certainly not alone in calling Kenny a full-fledged heel even before he went with the self-aggrandizing entrance and over-the-top phony "look what a great guy I am" post-match against Kiss. (I think he's still kind of teetering on the precipice, and I find that entertaining).

But I think "Kenny's not a star" is just one solitary dude who refuses to let a bad idea go. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2

AEW just lost to nxt for the first time in weeks in the ratings with Omega in the main event. People who don't watch New Japan don't give a shit about Kenny Omega. He's not a good promo and comes off as an aloof dweeb in interviews away from AEW TV, like talk shows or youtube or podcasts or whatever. Putting the top belt on him would scuttle the momentum AEW has built over the last year. You not liking it doesn't make it less true.

Edited by just drew

I've said it a few times now, but there's nothing wrong with Eddie winning on Saturday and then dropping the title back to Mox in a few weeks on a special edition of Dynamite. Basically, Eddie submits Moxley, but Moxley never says "I quit." Gives Moxley a reason to get a rematch and then we move onto Moxley vs Kenny.

By the way, how big a dick is Kenny going to be to Hangman in their match? Like, the biggest piece of shit ever, right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, just drew said:

AEW just lost to nxt for the first time in weeks in the ratings with Omega in the main event. People who don't watch New Japan don't give a shit about Kenny Omega. He's not a good promo and comes off as an aloof dweeb in interviews away from TV. Putting the top belt on him would scuttle the momentum AEW has built over the last year. You not liking it doesn't make it less true.

AEW lost to NXT because NXT put on a PPV style show while Dynamite was your run of the mill Dynamite. It would be weird and a bad sign if NXT didn't come close to having more viewers, let alone winning the night outright.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1