DVDVR Message Board

AEW Full Gear II - 11/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Next big AEW show is in 2 weeks.   The card:  

"I QUIT" MATCH FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley (c) vs. Eddie Kingston

FOR THE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Nyla Rose 

FINALS OF THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP ELIMINATOR TOURNAMENT - Eddie "Hangman" Page vs. Kenny Omega

FOR THE AEW TNT CHAMPIONSHIP - Cody (c) vs. Darby Allin

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - FTP (c) vs. The Young Bucks

THE ELITE DELETION MATCH - Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara

Chris Jericho vs. MJF

Orange Cassidy vs. John "4" Silver

Do we get MJF-Jericho?  I think it's too soon, but I also can't fathom leaving either of the PPV.  Only option I can see is MJF turning on Wardlow and having a singles match but where does that leave Jericho?  Not that much time left to build matches and there is a lot of talent without matches. All of you know I'm not the biggest Brit fan but at this point pointing anyone but Brit in the women's title match wouldn't make sense. Has to be Baker.

On paper this looks like a can't miss show. This could and should be Darby's moment to take the ball and run with it. 

Fucking hell that looks like an amazing card.  I would have thought with how All Out was that the interest for Full Gear wouldn't be there.  But you can't go wrong with Bucks/FTR and the I Quit match.  And talking with some folks the interest from them is pretty high as well so barring some senseless stunt it looks like it's gonna be a fun night.

I still feel like there’s another rather large shoe waiting to drop on the TNT title situation.  Surely, Brodie is going to get involved in the lumberjack match this week.  Based on how that plays out, that could spin out a number of different possibilities for Full Gear.  I wouldn’t necessarily rule out a Cody/Orange/Brodie/Darby 4-way.

51 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

So we're getting another Shida match with little to no build?

Probably. I'm generally positive about AEW's booking, but they really are comparable to WWE in its worst periods when it comes to treating the women's division as an afterthought. We're two weeks from the PPV; are any of the women on the roster involved in a storyline? I guess Anna Jay vs Brandi is still going, maybe. Anybody else?

Well, Shida defeatet Nyla Rose, Penelope Ford, Thunder Rosa and Big Swole... she's beaten everyone who could make a claim for the gold.

Shidas reign just shows how thin the womens roster is. Statlander und Britt got injured while Covid took care of the Joshi challengers. The rest of the roster are jobbers from Dark.

But, I don't really understand why Nyla never got a rematch. I don't know why Nyla and Shida aren't feuding for the last few months. Yes, the roster got thinned out, but they made nothing out of a bad situation.

Edited by MrKothoga

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I like Wardlow a lot but the Finals of the tournament needs to be Kenny Omega vs. Hangman Page I would think. 

People working themselves into expecting the unexpected because they've watched too much WWE refusing to do the logical thing for so long. I'd be absolutely shocked if it's not Hangman/Omega in the final in what could be the only match imo to rival their tag vs. the Bucks from February. It's been built up really well and Omega's new character direction fucking rules. I trust Omega to deliver in big matches more than just about anybody.

This card is going to be great. FTR/Bucks will probably keep some stuff in their back pocket for future matches with crowds, hence the injury angle. That's okay. I think we'll get something really good but I do agree with the notion that FTR haven't quite lived up to their NXT heights yet, but again the lack of crowds does hurt. Kingston and Moxley is going to be ultra violent. If it's a straight singles match, I'd be upset if Darby doesn't win the title. Now is the time. I get why the women's division is in limbo but even with the limited people that are ready for the big show, you can still do a better job of building up the PPV match. It's two weeks out and we don't really know much beyond probably Nyla challenging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrKothoga said:

Well, Shida defeatet Nyla Rose, Penelope Ford, Thunder Rosa and Big Swole... she's beaten everyone who could make a claim for the gold.

Shidas reign just shows how thin the womens roster is. Statlander und Britt got injured while Covid took care of the Joshi challengers. The rest of the roster are jobbers from Dark.

But, I don't really understand why Nyla never got a rematch. I don't know why Nyla and Shida aren't feuding for the last few months. Yes, the roster got thinned out, but they made nothing out of a bad situation.

Abadon is currently ranked higher than Britt Baker, and since she won the title, Shida hasn’t faced her. We don’t know how serious her throat injury is, so who knows if that’s where they were going with that eventually. All signs point to Nyla currently.

I had an idea that maybe Eddie could get Moxely trapped in a submission, nearly unconscious and Renee comes out to throw in the towel. Then you could have a third match built around the fact that neither man had ever given up to the other before you move on to a feud witch Page (assuming he wins the title) 

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

People working themselves into expecting the unexpected because they've watched too much WWE refusing to do the logical thing for so long. I'd be absolutely shocked if it's not Hangman/Omega in the final

This.  Thank you.

AEW is not afraid to book a tournament where the final is damn near a foregone conclusion.  The TNT title tournament was Cody/Archer start to finish.  Booking that is expected and makes sense is not a bad thing.  Watching something develop, putting things together, and having it pay off logically is really satisfying.  It's why people like mystery novels.   

• Like 4

I agree with everything you two are saying. But I also wouldn't be mad if they went with Wardlow, because I still think he should get the Brock Lesnar push damnit. But yeah, I'll definitely pay $50 to see a long Hangman/Omega match (and Kingston/Moxley??? Oh fuck yes please).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I agree with everything you two are saying. But I also wouldn't be mad if they went with Wardlow, because I still think he should get the Brock Lesnar push damnit. But yeah, I'll definitely pay $50 to see a long Hangman/Omega match (and Kingston/Moxley??? Oh fuck yes please).

Absolutely.  I'm definitely on the Wardlow train.  If anything, if they're using him to reestablish Omega with a big win, they need to push Wardlow's record more than they are.  Make it really mean something when Page beats him.  Because if you've only watched Dynamite (like me), Wardlow is awesome but hasn't done much of note in the ring.  But anyway, it's a testament to their efforts to building up a strong setup guy for Page that we're all thinking Wardlow might possibly win.  Thank you AEW for actually getting us invested in wrestling storylines again.

Someone else pointed out that it's pretty awesome booking (excusing that it may be coincidence) that Omega will likely get to the finals by beating two tag wrestlers while Page has to beat two singles guys.

• Like 2