DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2020 - WEEK EIGHT

Dolfan in NYC

This could go in the college thread too but I am putting it here

Trevor Lawrence has started dropping the hints that he will stay in school if the Jets have the #1 pick

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30203144/clemson-tigers-qb-trevor-lawrence-hints-staying-senior-season-rather-opting-nfl-draft

Someone needs to tell him how *extremely* bad an idea this is for him.  

The sports talk people may say "oh that's smart."   The actual NFL people are going to give him an instant demerit for it.  

"Can't handle the pressure of a big city/the NFL",  "Soft",  "Whiner"  will all get him pushed down the list and ultimately cost him money.  

Don't believe me?   Ask Josh Rosen.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The sports talk people may say "oh that's smart."   The actual NFL people are going to give him an instant demerit for it.  

"Can't handle the pressure of a big city/the NFL",  "Soft",  "Whiner"  will all get him pushed down the list and ultimately cost him money.  

Lawerence is good enough to not have it be that much of a strike against him, plus the owners and GM's of actual functioning franchises know the Jets are a total mess that should be avoided by any decent player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Counter - ask Eli Manning

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Somebody just signed Antonio Brown after threatening a woman's kids...they'll sign anybody not named Colin Kaepernick if they think he can play.

• Like 3

Difference is AB was in the league for years and was at one point the unquestioned best receiver in the game. They signed AB at the league minimum (I think) and would cut him faster than you can imagine if he even breathes wrong.  

There's a difference between that and getting a guy who's never played a down in the NFL and doesn't want to play for a particular team.  

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There's a difference between that and getting a guy who's never played a down in the NFL and doesn't want to play for a particular team.  

And again it didn't hurt Eli or John Elway for that matter

Of course there is also another big factor why those two (and Lawrence) would be able to get away with it

• Like 2

In theory maybe but in reality I've never seen a team care about that. Its not like the Jags would pass on Lawrence if he has an equally good year next year just because he passed on playing for the Jets the year before. But I think its likely just fake news, the injury risk wouldn't be worth it.

Even on the bye week Texans can't avoid bad news:

Not that Max has been playing (he should've been playing after being productive his rookie year and Kelemete being an absolute atrocity (not that any decent run blocking would help the corpse of David Johnson find holes)) but now we gon somehow lose to the Jags. 

I'm still shuddering to think what returns our Interim GM nee Pastor Easterby gets in trade for our best dudes.  If he trades Watt I'm going to cry.  (Unless it's for a 1st.) (probably still cry).