DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXIV - 11/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

According to Dave Meltzer, Seth giving himself up ("for the greater good") and letting Sheamus kick his head off was meant to write him off tv for awhile.   Becky's due date is in December, so Seth is taking some time off.

I'm hoping they repackage him and drop the Messiah gimmick.   Does anyone really like the gimmick?  It doesn't work for me.  It seemed like a wrong-headed idea from the start.  I like Seth more than most and thought he was fine as the point man for the Authority, and I was really interested in the Seth-Murphy-AOP stable at first.  But, the AOP never seemed like the sort that would be brainwashed disciples of a cult leader.  And when they left, WWE didn't put anyone with Seth to replace him.  That was a problem with the Straight Edge Society too.  Really small cult.  WWE seems to want to do cult gimmicks from time to time, but not push them too heavily.

To me, Seth has lost whatever momentum he had since he started the Savior gimmick.  Remember, this is the guy the company finally chose to go over Lesnar.  Now he seems like just another guy on the heel roster.  Being on Smackdown with the Tribal Chief probably isn't going to do much for him in that regard.  Maybe send him to Raw when he comes back?

Edited by Eoae

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

WWE does cult leader gimmicks and then strips the leader of the cult, which winds up making the person look like a fucking dork. They did it multiple times to Bray. Then they did it to Seth.

CM Punk as well with the Straight Edge Society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I'm hoping they repackage him and drop the Messiah gimmick.   Does anyone really like the gimmick?

I like the gimmick it self, but it was not one Seth could pull off. Should have been given to someone who could do a a decent job with it. Seth tends to just be terrible as a character in general.

• Like 1

I think the Piccolo idea would work, or even the "Vegita" style were its a very self aware and self depricating Seth realizes that while yeah he can beat some of the same guys, he ain't Goku.  Hes #2 and while he whines about it, he also has found happiness with a hottie.  He fights with the good guys to keep his wife happy, and slowly develops grudging respect for his good guy peers.

• Like 2

Its pretty jarring to watch any late 90s / early 00s WWE up to Evolution era on the Network then tune in to this show .. Foley, Flair, McMahon .. I know its 15 years but man, just transformed by Father Time. Undertaker looks remarkably good comparatively. Like tears in rain indeed ..