DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXIV - 11/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Finishing up the show just now since I started about 2 hours late.

Pre-show battle royale was alright.

Skipped the men's match aside from checking out the finish. Glad Lee got the final pin.

Lashley/Zayn was actually fun for how the Hurt Business trapped Sami in and how Sami tried to get dq victory a couple of times.

Women's SS match was pretty solid. It had time to breathe. The action was nice. The eliminations were well done and paced. Peyton was looking nice right before she went out. Bianca segment with Shayna and Nia at the end was pretty good. Honestly its just a bit annoying to see things end with the worst wrestler being the sole woman standing. Lana wasn't even bad for the few moments she had in the ring, but she also wasn't impressive enogh to leave you satisfied with the end either. Its fine for a tv match but a bit too much for a ppv. I don't see it really leaving fans behind Lana one bit.

Tag titles match and women's match were both good.

Roman/Drew was surpassingly great. Like I expected it to be good, but it went beyond that. 

Taker's retirement ceremony was fine. I was happy there was no bs. I just wish it had happened in front of fans.

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Can someone explain to me how that women's match was supposed to get Lana over?

We were discussing bullshit count out booking vs. good count out booking in the AEW Dynamite thread last week and that definitely falls under bullshit count out booking.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

We were discussing bullshit count out booking vs. good count out booking in the AEW Dynamite thread last week and that definitely falls under bullshit count out booking.

What annoys me is I actually thought the count out itself was done well. As a finish for match to put over Lana though it was just a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

ROYCE

Lol, that makes complete sense and yet would have been one of my last guesses.  Yeah, the text never looked like "Royce" to me.  I was actually debating whether the last character was an S or the symbol for a trademark.   I thought it spelled out "Rogo" or "Rogos" or something similar.

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What annoys me is I actually thought the count out itself was done well. As a finish for match to put over Lana though it was just a bad idea.

You don't think wrestling fans will get behind a babyface who spent most of the match standing in the corner trying not to cry?  

I was so sure it was going to have Bianca just barely beat the count, Nia counted out and Lana able to take advantage of her having been choked out and all that to get the shocking win.

What they went with instead was... Also an option?

I resubscribed to the Network, and this is literally the first show I've seen in the Thunderdome. Cool atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Lol, that makes complete sense and yet would have been one of my last guesses.  Yeah, the text never looked like "Royce" to me.  I was actually debating whether the last character was an S or the symbol for a trademark.   I thought it spelled out "Rogo" or "Rogos" or something similar.

Roos? A natural tie-in for an Aussie lass. 

I got a kick out of Lashley/Sami and also liked the Undertaker ceremony.  Was expecting some BS and thankfully that didn't happen.  I liked New Day in the Gears outfits and was happy to see Profits win in what was a fun match.  But I have a problem with Lana winning in the lamest way possible.  I didn't realize it was hard to book a redemption story arc but they managed to do that.  And I feel awful for Lana who will have to act like she achieved something great but the fans will shit all over her for this.  And this was done on the same show where from the little bit I saw had great matches in Sasha/Asuka and Roman/Drew (need to watch them in full soon)

Seemed like there were a lot of obvious whiffs on this show. Not sure if the main roster wrestlers are working lighter now or it was just a bad night for them/the camera crew.

Matt Riddle losing half his name might be worse than "Tucker" and that men's elimination match was the worst of its kind in some time.

New Day/Street Profits was a solid midcard tag and worked around Angelo Dawkins not being nearly as good as the other 3 nicely.

Lashley/Sami was there.

Good to see Sasha getting back to back ppv title match wins, 4 years overdue.

Women's tag wasn't much better than the men's. Lana is still a terrible actress. The whole angle fell super flat and the "I'm a survivor" bit was major cringe.

Drew/Roman was fine. Overkill formula makes sense in a champ vs. champ match and it was justified to protect Drew anyway.

The Taker farewell was underwhelming minus the Paul Bearer hologram, but this was something that had no chance to feel as big as it should in a crowd-less show. The Thunderdome helps the matches feel more right, but it's not there for a moment like this.