DVDVR Message Board

Over/under used moves

• 2 weeks later...

AFter reading this and realizing Cena kicked out of a Pile-Driver which at least the way it should be treated Kayfabe wise is a match ender... Does this make Bryans Knee of DOOOOOM kayfabe more deadly than the pile driver since Cena didn't kick out of it?

Also, outside of Cena who is someone working today that has the ability of putting over a move by laying down clean? Taker?

I always say to my less internet savy fan friend, "Bryan's knee killed Cena, so it kills EVERYONE!"

AFter reading this and realizing Cena kicked out of a Pile-Driver which at least the way it should be treated Kayfabe wise is a match ender... 

In the WWE that's never been the case. Usually the piledriver was a near fall spot in the late 80's, and early 90's until it was banned from regular use.

On the St. Louis indy scene, Jake Dirden started using the Asiatic Spike after a tour of Japan.  Also Ron Powers finishes with the piledriver.

Always thought Alicia Fox should finish with the Northern Light suplex since it's one of her most impressive moves(Regal always compliments her bridging pin on the move).

Bret did a killer piledriver but never finished with it.

• Like 1

On the St. Louis indy scene, Jake Dirden started using the Asiatic Spike after a tour of Japan.  Also Ron Powers finishes with the piledriver.

Always thought Alicia Fox should finish with the Northern Light suplex since it's one of her most impressive moves(Regal always compliments her bridging pin on the move).

I think that was his pre-WWF finisher.

Yes he did. He seemed to be auditioning several finishes, second rope elbow, back breaker, and the piled river. First time I recall him doing the sharpshooter was the IC title match where he beat Hennig.

I thought he was using the piledriver as a finisher in his first singles run?

I thought he was using the piledriver as a finisher in his first singles run?

I remember he killed Danny Davis with it in one of his first MSG face matches in 88.  And he used it more than once during his "F off Jimmy Hart" squash match phase.  His singles run in 88 was so brief, he just never got to use that much.

He definitely had the sharpshooter before the Perfect match, although I don't think long before.

IIRC from his book, Bret used the piledriver in his first WWF match, and got told to never use it again, because it was Orndorff's move.

HBK briefly used a piledriver after he stopped using the (fucking awesome) Teardrop Suplex but before he just settled on the Superkick as his finish.

I really don't mind overused rules usually but GOD I really hate those damned reverse-ranas in every fucking crazy cruserweight match and they are never ever the finisher. It always feels like a contrived cliche "we are trying to have a crazy match so let's put a reverse rana there" and that is not the kind of move that should happen naturally in a match but rather something that should only be pulled out in REALLY special occasions and be the finisher.

That and Chris Hero doing Blockbusters in this day and age. 

Having just seen him in the photo thread, I am reminded how boss Volkoff's gorilla press into a backbreaker used to be.

I would also be happy to see the return of the slingshot suplex and if it could be coupled with Barry Windham's float over into a pinning combination, I would be extra stoked. 

Finally if Big E. could learn to pull out the Scott Norton shoulder breaker...

Having just seen him in the photo thread, I am reminded how boss Volkoff's gorilla press into a backbreaker used to be.

I would also be happy to see the return of the slingshot suplex and if it could be coupled with Barry Windham's float over into a pinning combination, I would be extra stoked. 

Finally if Big E. could learn to pull out the Scott Norton shoulder breaker...

I just want gorilla presses to come back. Always a cool spot when a face just presses the heel over his head a bunch of times and slams him. Big E already has the muscle head splash so he needs to add Warrior's gorilla press.

And not a specific move per se, but I just want tag-team finishers to come back. It makes the team feel more like a team. Off the top of my head, The Matadores are the only team with a tandem finisher. Reigns and Rollins had a thing where Reigns would torture rack a guy and Rollins would come off the top with a knee but they usually just finish with Reigns' spear or Rollins' knee/curbstomp.

He definitely had the sharpshooter before the Perfect match, although I don't think long before.

IIRC from his book, Bret used the piledriver in his first WWF match, and got told to never use it again, because it was Orndorff's move.

HBK briefly used a piledriver after he stopped using the (fucking awesome) Teardrop Suplex but before he just settled on the Superkick as his finish.

Bret Hart was absolutely positively using the Sharpshooter from his first TV jobber match after he split from Neidhart. This was only a few months before (the) SummerSlam naturally, but he never used anything else other than that in the months prior to that (schoolboys and crucifixes against the likes of Haku and The Barbarian notwithstanding).

Michaels didn't really use the Superkick as his regular finish until 1995 having won the Rumble, but didn't use the Teardrop Suplex much after 1992. He was even using the Razor's Edge for a short time, but basically had no regular finish for 2 years.

Someone (maybe Big E. Langston?) needs to bring back Ron Simmons' Dominator.  That move always looked good and a power guy like Langston could pull it off easily most guys.

The thing is, if the guy doesn't take it right and takes it on his knees, a) it looks like crap, and B) it's probably hard on the knees. And wasn't Bobby Lashley using it, or am I imagining things?