DVDVR Message Board

Over/under used moves

I require more atomic drops on my television. Lift the dude up and drum his ass on your knee. Then he just sort of stands there, hands on his ass and thrusting his hips while doing the "ouchieee" face.Loved that when I was a kid.

Tito Santana did a spot a couple times where his opponent would give him an atomic drop, but he would "block" it somehow and turn it into a figure-four.

Rick Rude did the best atomic drop sell, IMO.

Speaking of Rick Rude, somebody needs to do a neckbreaker as a finisher and have the announcers sell it as death because that worked on me big time when I was a kid, and when I go back and watch late '80s WWF/early '90s WCW, it still works on me. 

Also, and unrelated to the topic, Rick Rude is the absolute BEST. 

EDIT: Oops, didn't see this before I posted. This person is sooooo right though. 

The Rude Awakening. It always looks brutal, surprised someone like Sandow doesn't use it.

Did Sheamus stop using the Razor's Edge? Because that's something that should be done more, I want to see Roman or Antonio lobbing jobbers for distance.

Yes.  IIRC he hurt someone (Tyson Kidd maybe?) with it.

That's weird. It's a pretty safe move all things considered so long as you don't end up Awesome bombing a guy or something. 

One of the NXT Divas has a Rude Awakening like finisher. Actually, isn't it Layla's too? 

Has any move gone from overused to underused like the powerbomb?  Everyone and their mom had a powerbomb variation in the mid to late '90s, but now you rarely see them.  I can't think of a more credible move for a big guy to use. 

Moves that I wish would be brought back.

Crossface Chickenwing  It just looks painful, and you can put it on damn near anyone.

The Cloverleaf always looked better than the sharpshooter to me, but we see 100 sharpshooters for every one cloverleaf

Somebody needs to use a Northern Lights Suplex, I'm a mark for any and all suplexes, but it's a pretty safe bump and always looks good.

Is there a reason no one has used the Jackhammer, everyone does a spear no one does a Jackhammer.

If a move gets banned by the WWE- folks use it less.  Why we see fewer piledrivers and neck drops these days.

+1 on the Cloverleaf love.  If I ever had been able to become a wrestler, I would crib Malenko's Cloverleaf and Spinning Belly-to-Back so hard.

I want the Slingshot Suplex and Flair delayed vertical to come back.

Hangman's Neckbreaker- I remember Chono having a nice one.

I'm also surprised no one uses the Perfect Plex or the Torture Rack. Both effective in looking awesome when done right. I could also see someone use Cattle Mutilation as a submission if Daniel Bryan won't use it. Why doesn't someone like a Ryback or Big E use a Exploder or Wrist Clutch Exploder?

I'm also surprised no one uses the Perfect Plex or the Torture Rack. Both effective in looking awesome when done right. I could also see someone use Cattle Mutilation as a submission if Daniel Bryan won't use it. Why doesn't someone like a Ryback or Big E use a Exploder or Wrist Clutch Exploder?

The Torture Rack is a good one, I put that one right up there with the Jackhammer for moves that are due for a come back.  I think there are plenty of submissions that just seem to go away for seemingly no reason.  When was the last time someone used the Dragon Sleeper or the Rings of Saturn?  Konan's Tequila Sunrise is another submission that looked great, but then disappeared from the face of the earth. 

As far as overused moves, remember when every other move was a version of the Diamond Cutter/Stunner? 

Has any move gone from overused to underused like the powerbomb?  Everyone and their mom had a powerbomb variation in the mid to late '90s, but now you rarely see them.  I can't think of a more credible move for a big guy to use. 

Crossface Chickenwing  It just looks painful, and you can put it on damn near anyone.

The Cloverleaf always looked better than the sharpshooter to me, but we see 100 sharpshooters for every one cloverleaf

Somebody needs to use a Northern Lights Suplex, I'm a mark for any and all suplexes, but it's a pretty safe bump and always looks good.

Is there a reason no one has used the Jackhammer, everyone does a spear no one does a Jackhammer.

I want the Slingshot Suplex and Flair delayed vertical to come back.

I second the slingshot suplex, which I still think is awesome, and I wonder why more wrestlers just don't rip off the Horsemen in terms of cool signature moves. HHH is a suit and not a full-time wrestler anymore, so someone else should take Arn Anderson's spinebuster as his own as well. Also, Arn might have my favorite DDT ever. 

I would also buy the Savage-style double-axehandle as a finish. Just adjust it so that you really clubber the guy as you come down instead of just making contact. 

I remember Ambrose using a chicken wing in a match, though not as a finisher, and thought that would work really well for him.  The facial expressions and mad laughter he worked in reminded me of Backlund's and it came off as really appropriate for his character.

Doesn't Adam Cole use an arm trap northern lights?  Or is that a german?

Did Sheamus stop using the Razor's Edge? Because that's something that should be done more, I want to see Roman or Antonio lobbing jobbers for distance.

Yes.  IIRC he hurt someone (Tyson Kidd maybe?) with it.

That's weird. It's a pretty safe move all things considered so long as you don't end up Awesome bombing a guy or something. 

Tell that to Doug Williams.

How has no one mentioned the moonsault yet?  Mutoh got the move over and everyone and their dog started doing it.  I'd guess the moonsault, powerbomb, and michinoku driver are the three most overused moves of the past 20 or so years. 

WWE has successfully killed my desire to see anyone use the flatliner (or a variation thereof).

I think Cody Hall is doing the Claw. He is a Big Man but he doesnt have the monster gimmick for it.

The double stomp in over done

I'd like to he a big Man use the brainbuster as a finnish in WWE, its been dont to death by smaller guys, Id like maybe Axel having it as a protected finish like Hashimoto in Japan.

I know the Yakuza/Mafia Kick has been done to death on the indies over the past decade or more but Generico/Zanes version in the corner never gets old to me.

The Razor's Edge the way Hall usually did it is, I think, quite a bit safer than the Border Toss/what Sheamus's variation is called version where Hall guided the guy all the way down, vs. throwing him forward.

• Like 1

The shoulder to the ringpost spot is still horribly overused, but not as bad as it was a few years ago. I swear I remember an episode of SD where it was in literally every match.

Underused is definitely good old knife-edge chops. No reason a few guys couldn't be dishing those out as signature strikes. 

Under WWE ordenence wrestlers are not allowed to do the knifehand chops anymore. Yes one of the "banned" moves as per Vince. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen Punk and Ambrose use them recently, but not with any regularity. Had no idea they were banned.

Something has always struck me as dangerous about that move. I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE banned it. 

Something has always struck me as dangerous about that move. I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE banned it. 

I think it was Lance Storm who said that people don't like to take the move because you don't have much control over how you land with that bump. You're basically relying on the other guy not to break your neck. Hall and Sheamus always seemed to do it relatively safely while I don't know what amount of money you'd have to pay me to take Hernandez' version.