DVDVR Message Board

Over/under used moves

The shoulder to the ringpost spot is still horribly overused, but not as bad as it was a few years ago. I swear I remember an episode of SD where it was in literally every match.

Underused is definitely good old knife-edge chops. No reason a few guys couldn't be dishing those out as signature strikes. 

When someone does the complete shot at a show I'm announcing, I'm always so happy I'm there to explain to the fans who actually takes the impact from that. That is not the most legible move in the world, if you will. (edit: Depending on who takes it and how, of course.)

The shoulder to the ringpost spot is still horribly overused, but not as bad as it was a few years ago. I swear I remember an episode of SD where it was in literally every match.

Underused is definitely good old knife-edge chops. No reason a few guys couldn't be dishing those out as signature strikes. 

Under WWE ordenence wrestlers are not allowed to do the knifehand chops anymore. Yes one of the "banned" moves as per Vince. 

When someone does the complete shot at a show I'm announcing, I'm always so happy I'm there to explain to the fans who actually takes the impact from that. That is not the most legible move in the world, if you will. (edit: Depending on who takes it and how, of course.)

Thank you Gorilla Monsoon.

I require more atomic drops on my television. Lift the dude up and drum his ass on your knee. Then he just sort of stands there, hands on his ass and thrusting his hips while doing the "ouchieee" face.Loved that when I was a kid.

Tito Santana did a spot a couple times where his opponent would give him an atomic drop, but he would "block" it somehow and turn it into a figure-four.

Rick Rude did the best atomic drop sell, IMO.

• Like 1

Can't remember the last time I saw someone go for the eyes in contemporary wrestling. No pokes, no rakes, no gouging. Not even getting a guy in a headlock and rubbing his face along the top rope. Heels are just too damn respectful these days.

• Like 1

Piledrivers are woefully underutilized in this day and age. See the Punk/Cena match where Punk busted it out from out of nowhere and the fans gasped in horror. Used sparingly, it's an absolute death move.

Can't remember the last time I saw someone go for the eyes in contemporary wrestling. No pokes, no rakes, no gouging. Not even getting a guy in a headlock and rubbing his face along the top rope. Heels are just too damn respectful these days.

I've seen Ambrose rake a guy's face along the top rope. The one thing I hate now is that sometimes an eye poke is treated as a DQ. Could you imagine if that was the case when Flair or Piper were in their primes? Hell, Hogan used to rake the eyes a ton.

Piledrivers are woefully underutilized in this day and age. See the Punk/Cena match where Punk busted it out from out of nowhere and the fans gasped in horror. Used sparingly, it's an absolute death move.

I thought for sure Sandow was going to bust out a piledriver against Cena.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Ryback bring back Sarge's Atomic Noogie as part of his anti-bullying campaign.  Bo Dallas and his black glove can bring back the Claw.  I think the overused move would be the DDT because everyone has a variant of it.  The underused moves are the slingshot suplex and Widow's Peak.

Has any move gone from overused to underused like the powerbomb?  Everyone and their mom had a powerbomb variation in the mid to late '90s, but now you rarely see them.  I can't think of a more credible move for a big guy to use. 

Moves that I wish would be brought back.

Crossface Chickenwing  It just looks painful, and you can put it on damn near anyone.

The Cloverleaf always looked better than the sharpshooter to me, but we see 100 sharpshooters for every one cloverleaf

Somebody needs to use a Northern Lights Suplex, I'm a mark for any and all suplexes, but it's a pretty safe bump and always looks good.

Is there a reason no one has used the Jackhammer, everyone does a spear no one does a Jackhammer.

Has any move gone from overused to underused like the powerbomb?  Everyone and their mom had a powerbomb variation in the mid to late '90s, but now you rarely see them.  I can't think of a more credible move for a big guy to use. 

Michinoku Driver II comes to mind right away. Arguably the hottest move in the world during TAKA's North American stint- even slugs like Balls Mahoney and Cibernetico were doing them. Kind of faded away over the years.

Moves that I wish would be brought back.

Crossface Chickenwing  It just looks painful, and you can put it on damn near anyone.

The Cloverleaf always looked better than the sharpshooter to me, but we see 100 sharpshooters for every one cloverleaf

Somebody needs to use a Northern Lights Suplex, I'm a mark for any and all suplexes, but it's a pretty safe bump and always looks good.

Is there a reason no one has used the Jackhammer, everyone does a spear no one does a Jackhammer.

I've always found it disappointing when someone in WCW or WWE did/does a Northern Lights Suplex. I think it was mainly Benoit who used it. I used to watch New Japan before I had even heard of the WWF, and Hiroshi Hase used the Northern Lights Suplex as his finisher. Only one or twice did I see someone kick out of it. It was a killer move, like it was impossible to kick out of. And then, years later, I saw it being used as a lukewarm near-fall in WCW and WWE. It always hurts me a little inside.

WWE, give someone the Uranage (another move you don't see often enough) and the Northern Lights Suplex as signature moves/finishers.