DVDVR Message Board

Over/under used moves

We've had this thread before on the old forum, but the recent posts in the general wrestling chat thread made it seem like this could warrant its own topic.  What moves (or variations thereof) are being overused, or are just too bothersome to continue being used regularly?  Are there any moves that you've seen certain guys use a time or two or in the past that should be done more often?

It seems like every year there's some move that gets done way too often, especially on the indies.  My personal memories recal the standing SSP being a bit thing in 02 or so followed by the shining wizard, lungblower, canadian destroyer/code red variations, and nowadays the flying/diving knee strike.

It seems like every year there's some move that gets done way too often, especially on the indies.  My personal memories recal the standing SSP being a bit thing in 02 or so followed by the shining wizard, lungblower, canadian destroyer/code red variations, and nowadays the flying/diving knee strike.

Superkicks.

Superkicks everywhere.

For under-used moves, I sort of like ring-assisted moves as long as they aren't too contrived. I remember being a kid and totally buying the Stun Gun getting an insta-three, but maybe that's because I have a bit of a choking/suffocating phobia.

Still, someone on weekly TV should be using the Stun Gun as a finisher. 

Anybody over 350 lbs using the splash or the avalanche and that not being the end of the match. That was part of the charm of big men.  If they wore you down enough to squash you, that was the end.  Now even running avalanches are just transition moves. 

On the other side of the coin - non-hosses using a lariat as a finisher.

Underused:  Brought up in the chit chat thread, but somebody needs to be doing THE POUNCE on my tv again.

Overused:  The goddamn spear in WWE.  Even with Batista and Edge gone, we still can't get below 4 people who use it regularly.

And if we're discussing overused moves from any period, it seemed like every third guy had a powerbomb between 1989-1992.  Which coincidentally was roughly the same time the DDT was ruined forever.

They were all trying to be the first to POWERBOMB KIDMAN before he even existed. They all failed, obviously, because YOU CANNOT POWERBOMB KIDMAN!

• Like 3

For under-used moves, I sort of like ring-assisted moves as long as they aren't too contrived. I remember being a kid and totally buying the Stun Gun getting an insta-three, but maybe that's because I have a bit of a choking/suffocating phobia.Still, someone on weekly TV should be using the Stun Gun as a finisher.

Speaking of ring-assisted moves, I wish someone would bust out Bret's old figure four around the ring post. That always looked excruciating, which might be why it isn't used anymore. Maybe no one wants to take it.As far as overused, I'm pretty sure there's a Houston City Ordinance that states every area indy show must feature no fewer than two Falcon Arrows per show.

That rear naked choke phase from 2001-2003, which evolved into a rear naked choke drop/bomb/slam.

Or when guys started using UFC stuff like the go-go-plata until it became Taker's only. Can't remember which one, but I swear there was an ROH show from about 2003/4 where there was a lungblower in every match on the card.

Didn't Bret knock himself silly once doing the ring-post figure four and banging his head on the floor?

(Also, is it just my imagination, or did it at some start getting called The Hart Lock?)

Speaking of ring-assisted moves, I wish someone would bust out Bret's old figure four around the ring post. That always looked excruciating, which might be why it isn't used anymore. Maybe no one wants to take it.

Gail Kim's been using the ring post figure four in TNA

Didn't Bret knock himself silly once doing the ring-post figure four and banging his head on the floor?

(Also, is it just my imagination, or did it at some start getting called The Hart Lock?)

I think it was in THEE match against Goldberg and one of the things he attributed ending his career to. He blamed Goldberg for not properly holding his leg.