DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I liked everything on the show, including the Dinner Debonaire (which was weird fun in that intentionally campy kind of way), but part of me wonders who is in the AEW audience with me. There was a reference to Bill Belichick and a Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra song on the same show, which seems to cast a wide net at least.

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Another guy you should all put eyes on is a wrestler by the name of Bulk Nasty.  The guy had a classic with Wardlow and  Wardlow is pushing to get him into AEW.  The guy is ridiculously strong and is over huge.  

Wardlow was asked to pick his Dark opponent and wanted Bulk but was told it would be a squash more or less so he picked Man Dime Elijah Dean. I believe that Bulk will be in AEW within the next year.  

@paintedbynumbers I don't mean to take this question in a direction away from AEW (you can actually PM me the answer if you want) but, since you're talking IWC, what happened with Ray Lyn and Dylan Bostic? Looks like she's dating Sam Adonis now? I figured you'd likely know.

• Like 1

Rock solid show. Maybe the most consistent in-ring one since the excellent New Year's Day episode, every match had something and I don't know the last time there were two better promo guys carrying a world title feud than Mox and Kingston.

The John Silver shine segment was totally the highlight of the show though yeah. Hadn't noticed Reynolds being hurt!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

BTW, You can tell Shawn Spears doesn't mean shit -- when it came to someone to help FTR with a beatdown, old-ass Tully did it.  That's hilarious.

Spears has  actually put together a string of good, productive matches on dark lately. He’s wrestling with a lot more confidence and is working within himself. By not trying to do too much, he’s been enjoyable. He still has too many gimmicks. 

Knox might be the worst referee in all the land. The embarrassing prat fall finish to the FTR match last week and being totally oblivious this week is just a bad look. AEW really should look at its referees and try to get them more consistent and less attention seeking.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

BTW, You can tell Shawn Spears doesn't mean shit -- when it came to someone to help FTR with a beatdown, old-ass Tully did it.  That's hilarious.

They've made it a point on commentary multiple times to say that Spears and FTR are completely separate entities under Tully and have no alliance.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peck said:

They've made it a point on commentary multiple times to say that Spears and FTR are completely separate entities under Tully and have no alliance.

It's smart keeping the stink of Spears off FTR. There's nobody in AEW I'd rather watch less than Shawn Spears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Spears has  actually put together a string of good, productive matches on dark lately. He’s wrestling with a lot more confidence and is working within himself. By not trying to do too much, he’s been enjoyable. He still has too many gimmicks. 

Knox might be the worst referee in all the land. The embarrassing prat fall finish to the FTR match last week and being totally oblivious this week is just a bad look. AEW really should look at its referees and try to get them more consistent and less attention seeking.

Well, that's disappointing. The bolded part.

And I've thought Knox has been a terrible ref for awhile now. He seems like a good dude, but he's as bad as Red Shoes and I can't stand Red Shoes.

* They’re going in on Wardlow, which I like, though I do have my concerns that they’ve sacrificed so many big men to Cody and Mox that he’ll just end up another big fella treading water in the upper mid-card. Still, you gotta hope for the best and this was absolutely the right result – Jungle Boy can take a few losses and still keep his “up and coming hungry young tiger” aura. Wardlow looked decent, too. I mean, he should, he’s been wrestling for a decade.

* Eddie Kingston versus Jon Moxley is turning into THE feud of the year so far, and the best thing is that it’s got a taste of the real to it. Kingston being mad at Mox for going to WWE is understandable, and for AEW fans that’s a babyface move, but the finesse is that Kingston is mad at Mox because he didn’t take HIM to WWE with him. The promos this pair have been cutting are the best I’ve seen in years, and take me back to much better days, storywise. Good work fellas!

* Did Joey Janela pull himself off the show because of Covid-19 or because he’s the smartest man in wrestling? I mean, it was totally the right thing for Omega to win with a squash – although he could have killed Kiss a tiny bit more – but Janela saw this one coming. Oh, and I loved Omega’s intro but ditch the sweepy women, Ken, eh?

* Don’t interview Orange Cassidy. Less is more.

* I LOVE Rey Fenix and the Penagon man, and this was shaping up to be one of their best matches together (I mean, they’ve had some phone-in stinkers so…) but Fenix was knocked stupid halfway through and it’s a mark of just how good he is that they did some major spots with him all loopy. The thing is, though, as they again proved later, the match should have been stopped. He wasn’t in a proper condition to carry on and the refs need to get more assertive with talent, even if it means calling an audible. Sure, Omega versus Fenix would be the better match, but did it really matter if Penta won this?

* John Silver is a wonderful, ridiculous man.

* Hangman Page looked good but did this need to go – looks it up – oh. It was only eleven minutes? It felt much, much longer. Huh. Anyway, I was half expecting shenanigans here because there’s no way they should be having Omega versus Page at Full Gear.

* I am excited for Elite Deletion. If it turns out not to be shot on the Hardy compound I reserve the right to rescind that excitement.

* There are some people who will say, quite rightly, that a comedy musical segment has no place on a fighting show. I get it, I really do. But sometimes something happens that should never, ever happen, and it’s the best thing ever (for an hour), and when Jericho and MJF broke into song after some ridiculous dinner banter… well, I wouldn’t have been watching anything else. It was so STUPID and sometimes stupid is exactly what I want. Beautiful idiots.

* Britt “Kelsi Roxx” Baker did not look as good against KiLynn King as she did against Red Velvet but she’s still very much improved.

* The Bunny is back with her husband. Continuity cop Eddie Kingston strikes again! Now get on the case of why Pac is allowed to sit at home for seven months…

* The tag-team four-way was kind of a mess but also kind of exciting and I get that that’s what you want out of these kind of matches. Plus, John Silver got to John Silver. BUT. Alex Reynolds was knocked out. And the referee didn’t notice. Worse still, he lay in the ring for two minutes and no-one checked on him. Then his corpse was revived so the Bucks could do the planned spots and no-one stopped them. Then he had to be rolled out of the ring, where he still almost got landed on. Now it’s easy to apportion blame, so I’m going to. Rick Knox is derelict in his duty here. John Silver isn’t clear, either, because you look after your partner, first and foremost. Plus, it’s a freaking FOUR-WAY so there were two other teams that could have taken those spots and everything would have been fine. It ruined the match and the end of the show for me, and I couldn’t have given a shit about FTR and Tully and a beating and the Bucks winning because Reynolds was unconscious in the ring for two whole minutes. Bad.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Speaking of stink, how does Doc Sampson still have a job?

I assume this is about the Alex Reynolds situation.   To me that is more about the recklessness of the wrestlers in the ring than Sampson.  He is clearly knocked out and not moving an inch and of course the guys have to get their shit in. 

12 hours ago, Goodear said:

Surprised nothing has come further with AEW and Mike Chioda since he popped up to ref two matches back in August. Curious if AEW is still interested in him, he's talking to WWE again or as simply moved on or taking a break.

86GL81wN?format=jpg&name=small

Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall

Like the seashore clings to the sea

Like you'll never get rid of your shadow Chris, you'll never get rid of me

---

Let all the others fight and fuss

Whatever happens, we've got us.

---

Me and my shadow

We're closer than pages that stick in a book

We're closer than ripples that play in a brook

Strolling down the avenue

Wherever you find him, you'll find me, just look

Closer than a recliner thrown at Cody's forehead guizer

Me and my shadow We're closer than snakes how they slide through the grass

We're closer than Cody is to a jackass

Not a soul can bust this team in two

We stick together like glue

---

Me and my shadow

And now to repeat what I said at the start

You'll need a large crowbar to break us apart We're alone but far from blue

Before we get finished, we'll make the town roar

We'll make all the late spots, and then a few more

We'll wind up at Daily's and then the fourth floor

Life is gonna be we-wow-whee! For my shadow and me!

---

Say Chris?

What is it, Maxwell?

Do me a favor?

What do you want, now?

Would you mind taking it, just one more time?

From the top?

No! From the ending!

Wonderful!

---

And while we are swinging, to mention a few

We'll drop in at Chili's, Hey Young Bucks, Screw You!

We'll beat up on Moxley, whatever we do (Wow!)

Life is gonna be we-wow-whee! For my shadow and me!!!

• Like 1

I know I'm late with my thoughts, but it was another really good show. Wardlow is going to be the sleeper star of 2021 if AEW plays things right. I'm almost certain MJF is going to force him to give him his spot in the tournament if he makes it to the finals. But this whole thing has been set up for Kenny/Hangman so I can also see MJF costing Wardlow a shot at the finals just because he doesn't want him to break out as a star (he's still the hired help for MJF). 

Jungle Boy is such a great face in peril. But this match is proof to me at least that AEW needs a Lightweight championship. Half the roster are guys Jack's size. They are missing a huge market for good old fashion lightweight wrestling. It would be perfect as the workhorse title for AEW Dark.

I kinda hope FTR/Bucks doesn't happen at the PPV. It needs to be drawn out more with FTR ducking them and causing The Bucks to revert even further back to their old selves. I thought it was odd The Bucks are trying to be the old dickish heels they once were but they also are now suddenly Ricky and Robert from 1985. The thing I love about all of this is there is literally a dozen different ways it can go. Plus Tully doing that sweet jump for the spike piledriver. Man if this all leads to that Blood and Guts match in February is going to be amazing.

Moxley vs. Kingston is everything I love in a world title feud. That element of realism. I kinda wish Cody had Full Gear in December so it could be a Starrcade-esq show for them to close out the year. This I Quit match has the potential to be one of the best ones since Funk/Flair.

God what a fun time to be a fan watching all this.

Oh yeah, Jericho and MJF with their Bob Hope/Bing Crosby act was tremendous. I hope they never fight and we just get years of them doing this shit to each other.

• Like 1