DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

i don't want to sound partial but so many have come from IWC here in Pittsburgh.  Graves, DJ Z,   Elias, Brit, Wardlow,  and they also were the first promotion to buy a plane ticket for Punk and Cabana.  

That's right! I'm the guy who drove them from the Cleveland airport to the Pittsburgh shows.

• Like 4

All of you who are wondering how WWE missed out on Wardlow should be happy they did. Otherwise he'd probably be a member of Revolution or Restitution or whatever the hell that horsehit stable of Bane knock-offs is called. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm tired of the WWE comparisons and I'll tell you why.  When AEW does comedy there is THOUGHT put into it and often times it's funny as hell.   WWE is almost never funny,  it's like a fucking 3rd grader wrote the shit.  

Yes, comedy in general is subjective but I am of the opinion that the two companies are presenting comedy in different ways.   AEW is like prime The Simpsons compared to WWE's modern Adam Sandler. 

• Like 4

On 10/22/2020 at 9:35 AM, EVA said:

I see Wardlow looking incredible on Dynamite and can’t help but think, “WWE spends how much money on talent scouting and developmental, and they somehow missed on THIS guy?”  But, man, they’ve got those strongman competitions in West Langvushstan fucking COVERED.

Granted, you could say that about a lot of AEW’s young guys, but Wardlow in particular looks like the living embodiment of that gif of Vince falling out of his chair in ecstasy.

I been saying this for a while now about WWE  missing on talent....  Wardlow is another one but they missed on MJF,  Starks,  Darby, Fenix, Jungle Boy, Sammy, etc...  they are missing on every talent under 30. 

I liked how Sonny Kiss got completely squashed Kenny. One of my problems with AEW is that top guy too often have matches that go too long and have to much give and take. 

They need to go with either JR or Tony as lead announcer. Right now we have a three man booth without clearly defined roles. 

I'm of two minds of the song and dance routine. First it was genuinely funny and entertaining unlike a lot of WWE so called comedy. One the other hand its kinda like Firefly Funhouse match at wrestlemania, it feels like an SNL skit dropped into a wrestling program. Does it help build the feud or draw in new fams?

I didn't make the connection myself, but my brother pointed out that Le Dinner Debonair was a lot like a Wayne and Shuster skit. And Jericho is old enough and Canadian enough to remember Wayne and Shuster, so it's not impossible that they were in fact the inspiration for it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is going to surprise a lot of people down the line, but WWE hasn't "missed" anyone. They have the ability to pick up any of these guys at a later date.

As long as AEW remains in good shape, I do not see too many people leaving AEW for WWE. The occasional wrestler may leave, but I do not think that this generation of wrestlers is quite as drawn to WWE as previous ones (and we are close to 20 years removed from the Attitude Era), plus it's continued exposure as a toxic workplace is not real attractive compared to a place that is universally thought to be a great place to work. 

• Like 1

Most of the young AEW talent signed 5 year deals, so it’s gonna be a while before WWE gets a shot at them.  Good thing they have Dexter Lumis and the Archer of Infamy in the pipeline to really drive some big business until then.

Edited by EVA
  • Haha 2

Five years ain't shit to WWE.  The inevitable AEW poaches aren't going to spend any time in NXT, either (except to steal viewers, but I don't think NXT will be on Wednesdays in five years). WWE brass is going internally consider AEW as another developmental territory, overconfident as that might be. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of who - and the first AEW trueborn to jump ship is going to be paid handsomely and have their ass strapped to a rocket as a matter of continuing persuasion. You and I will be angry about this in four years. Start preparing now.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Five years ain't shit to WWE.  The inevitable AEW poaches aren't going to spend any time in NXT, either (except to steal viewers, but I don't think NXT will be on Wednesdays in five years). WWE brass is going internally consider AEW as another developmental territory, overconfident as that might be. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of who - and the first AEW trueborn to jump ship is going to be paid handsomely and have their ass strapped to a rocket as a matter of continuing persuasion. You and I will be angry about this in four years. Start preparing now.

That's all well and good but nobody knows what WWE will even look like four years from now.  Vince will be pushing 80.  Will he still want to be doing this?  Will he still be able to?  Creatively, the company is a mess right now but nobody there really cares because they're making so much money from rights fees.  Will the rights fees bubble burst?  Meltzer speculated that WWE's best move in the near future might be to go ahead and sell to Fox.  All this is me trying to say nobody knows what the wrestling industry will look like in four years so we really can't say anything about what they're going to do for talent then.  Shit, in 2016 who would have predicted we'd have a strong #2 company on TNT?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

It probably was. But the guy weighs a buck fiddy and isn't going to get a sustained push in WWE.

LOL

Forget about smaller guys getting nowhere...even guys who are Vince's "type" can't get a sustained push.

Shit, who are we kidding?  In four years, Randy Orton will still be at the top of the card and enjoying his 36th world title reign.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

It probably was. But the guy weighs a buck fiddy and isn't going to get a sustained push in WWE.

I agree, no wrestler who weighs under 160 lbs would ever have any success on any WWE brand. They certainly wouldn't win any singles titles, or hold one for more than a couple of days at best.

ESm7RhdWsAAPRyA.jpg

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

I agree, no wrestler who weighs under 160 lbs would ever have any success on any WWE brand. They certainly wouldn't win any singles titles, or hold one for more than a couple of days at best.

ESm7RhdWsAAPRyA.jpg

I have to imagine Jungle Boy (or anyone) would make more money in AEW than in NXT. And NXT is 100% Cole's ceiling. Without the technical ability or explosiveness of other guys his size, Cole would be laughed off either of the "main brands" after the first episode. Imagine trying to sell Vince on him!

The only thing that might possibly save Cole on the main roster are the huge crowd reactions to him. Any time he appeared on a main roster show, he was over like a huge star..

Not that that hasn't stopped Vince from killing other wrestlers who were over, like Rusev.

I will admit to not including NXT. And tbh, I'm stiking by that - NXT's non-inclusion in the Survivor Series mix is quite telling in terms of Vonce's interest in the loser brand.

And of course Cole was the champ while the NXT lost that battle, and I'm sure someone at HQ has probably made that connection. Cole has profited from circumstance and a lot of charisma. No I don't think he's going to get a sustained push on the main roster, though I agree he did somehow look like he belonged when he appeared at the Royal Rumble a couple of years ago. Nonetheless, the fact that they're turning him face on NXT rather than moving him to the main roster tells you quite a bit.

Although they'd never admit it, I think some at WWE are quite happy not to have to deal with the PPV smart fans who'll cheer for guys like Cole.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica