DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/21/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Funny thing about the opener...I was watching Wardlow come to the ring and my thought was, "does Vince watch AEW?  When he sees Wardlow, does he call his talent relations guys into the room and just line them all up and Moe Howard slap them for letting him get away"  This prescient thought led to.......

The return of pants-free JR!!!  Seriously, though, it sucks when Jungle Boy and Wardlow are blowing away expectations and all JR can talk about is how people he's worked for in the past would have essentially pushed Wardlow to to moon.  Well he's worked for terrible people so take that for what it's worth.  Then he says like 2-3 times "an athletic big man will sell tickets!"  In kayfabe, who fucking cares?  If I'm invested in my football team winning a game, do I care about the announcer telling me how my running back is going to make the owner rich?  God damn JR, take off your former Talent Relations Size Queen hat and put over the guys in the match for their skills are wrestlers, not for how their traps give you a half chub.

Kenny mother fucking Omega!  He's so fluent in Japanese he sometimes translates for Michael Nakazawa.  How the hell does Cody continue his ostentatious act when Omega just took every piece of his ridiculous shtick and used it in service as a heel gimmick?  Kudos to all the folks here who predicted a fast win.

Mox and Kingston are goddamn tremendous on the mic.  Holy hell, that's some God level shit.

I really didn't like the musical number.  I'm glad some did but it felt like a real misstep.  I kayfabe, did these guys get together and organize the whole thing?  I get that it was fun but it made no sense in the context of something that's supposed to be booked like a sport.  For me, it was almost up there with truly rotten shit like pre-Brodie Dark Order, The Nightmare Collective, and injured Cody hyping his game show.

Colt and Hangman was so great.  Mostly not flashy, just really good wrestling.  I'd be all for a Colt TNT title run.  I haven't seen a flip bump from the top to the apron since Janela did it at BOLA a few years ago and god damn, it's just gross every time.  

Britt Baker continues to be tremendous in the ring post-injury.  I agree...put the belt on her and let babyfaces chase.  This company needs a heel champ and she's doing great work right now.  Also, as other have said, sign KiLynn King now please.

Orange Cassidy.  "on to cincinatti."  LOL

Apparenetly Reynolds and Fenix were both injured.  That really sucks.  On the plus side, they took Reynolds out of the match.  On the minus side, they let Fenix finish it.  It made for a clunky end run of the match and I worry about guys' health.

Will we have Kingston go the Tully route and answer "do you quit?" with "YES!!!!" and then claim he never said the words "I Quit?"

The tag four way was sloppy and fun, as it inevitably was going to be.  The Bucks win was a foregone conclusion.  Can't wait for Bucks/FTR.

Good show overall!  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I kayfabe, did these guys get together and organize the whole thing? 

I’m assuming that’s the case. Usually the camera crew is acknowledge as being there for a reason. Either because the plan was for an interview, or the heel wanted it documented. So it’s gotta be that the two orchestrated it. They even decided to pretend they were in a busy restaurant, when it was clear by the end it was the stadiums lounge area.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I see Wardlow looking incredible on Dynamite and can’t help but think, “WWE spends how much money on talent scouting and developmental, and they somehow missed on THIS guy?”  But, man, they’ve got those strongman competitions in West Langvushstan fucking COVERED.

Granted, you could say that about a lot of AEW’s young guys, but Wardlow in particular looks like the living embodiment of that gif of Vince falling out of his chair in ecstasy.

• Like 3

Probably looked over in favor of the explosion of hard hitters in Europe(though with the scandals that has dissipated), and Wardlow never really seemed to expand out onto the more exposed indies. He just stuck with his little indie, and whatever he did full-time on the side. I don’t think I knew who he was until some people obsessed with “looks” posted pictures of him on another forum. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

I see Wardlow looking incredible on Dynamite and can’t help but think, “WWE spends how much money on talent scouting and developmental, and they somehow missed on THIS guy?”  But, man, they’ve got those strongman competitions in West Langvushstan fucking COVERED.

Granted, you could say that about a lot of AEW’s young guys, but Wardlow in particular looks like the living embodiment of that gif of Vince falling out of his chair in ecstasy.

They had Wardlow, didn't they? I thought he was signed to the PC and they wound up passing on him without even allowing him to do any of the Florida shows.

And before Wardlow was even signed to AEW, we were talking on here about who would be a big dude AEW could sign. Someone on here was like, check out this dude named Wardlow, he checks all of the boxes, etc. They even posted links to a couple of his matches. Right away a bunch of us said, yeah, sign this guy NOW.

Next thing you know during one of the PPVs or free B/R Live shows, they run a promo video for Wardlow. Anyone even remember that now? The promo video was Wardlow walking in a parking lot when a bunch of dudes try to jump him and he winds up destroying everyone. Then his next appearance after that was MJF's heater.

EDIT: Casey beat me to by seconds and pointed out that it was Paintedbynumbers who first brought him up.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And before Wardlow was even signed to AEW, we were talking on here about who would be a big dude AEW could sign. Someone on here was like, check out this dude named Wardlow, he checks all of the boxes, etc. They even posted links to a couple of his matches. Right away a bunch of us said, yeah, sign this guy NOW.

Next thing you know during one of the PPVs or free B/R Live shows, they run a promo video for Wardlow. Anyone even remember that now? The promo video was Wardlow walking in a parking lot when a bunch of dudes try to jump him and he winds up destroying everyone. Then his next appearance after that was MJF's heater.

They also aired a Wardlow working out vignette early in Dynamite's run.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

EDIT: Casey beat me to by seconds and pointed out that it was Paintedbynumbers who first brought him up.

He had another one where he was lifting weights IIRC

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Technico beat me
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There was that, and the workout vignettes.

Edit: Oh-La-La

Another mark against signing Wardlow for WWE was that they just went through a period of signing guys like him. Maybe after the failure of them getting a platoon of guys like him over, they simply felt they needed a break.

What’s the old saying? “Don’t Show Vince this guy, or he’ll push him before he’s ready”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Probably looked over in favor of the explosion of hard hitters in Europe(though with the scandals that has dissipated), and Wardlow never really seemed to expand out onto the more exposed indies. He just stuck with his little indie, and whatever he did full-time on the side. I don’t think I knew who he was until some people obsessed with “looks” posted pictures of him on another forum. 

I mean, that’s kind of the point I’m making.  He was certainly underexposed prior to AEW finding him (Britt Baker, actually), but WWE spends God-knows-how-much money flying talent scouts to amateur wrestling tournaments on the other side of the world to recruit guys with zero experience (and possibly little aptitude) but they don’t have anybody watching Indy tapes from Pennsylvania?

Seems like a gross oversight!

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

I guess if Wardlow never worked any of the WM weekend shows and never did any west coast shows then Regal or any other scout probably never saw him or even heard of him. Either that or they thought Wardlow wasn't big enough, which I could see them thinking that.

Dude is perfectly sized, his F10 looks cool, that chokeslam/knee thing he does is even cooler, and he's one of the more handsome men on the roster. The only thing we haven't heard from him is a promo, but you'd hope that he's working on that now.

I'm not opposed to them strapping a rocket onto Wardlow and giving him a mega push, but it also isn't Tony Khan's booking style. They have a longer term booking style. Plus, I'd wait until you get crowds back sometime next year to let people really go nuts for Wardlow.

Also, Eddie Kingston is my spirit animal. Taking this from someone who posted this on Reddit, but it's fucking awesome that he went from this promo earlier this year:

to challenging for the AEW World title on November 7. Fuck yeah. Fuck em up, Eddie!

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean honestly I’d be okay if they went full 2002 Brock Lesnar on us with Wardlow and just strapped a rocket to the dude.

I was just saying last night while watching that he was my dark horse pick to win it all, but that might be years of me being trained by WWE TV to think "Ok, Kenny vs Hangman in the finals makes too much sense..."