DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2020 - WEEK SEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

The NFC East plays all division games this week so theoretically the Cowboys could grab a commanding 1 1/2 game lead

If they beat WFT and Giants beat the Eagles, the division would be

Dallas: 3-4

NYG: 2-5

Philly: 1-5-1

WFT: 1-6

Of course - it could also be that 3 of the 4 teams end the week with 2 wins

After making the decision to start any player who plays against the Cowboys on my fantasy team, I went through the schedule and found that I don't have a single player who plays against the Cowboys for the rest of the season.  I'm pretty sure they're going to win that division, because they play the WFT, Eagles, and Giants twice, and the Bengals once.  The only horrible dumpster fire team missing is the Jets.

I'd understand this if we were mostly losing and Fitzpatrick has been terrible, but Fitz has been serviceable and has one of the higher QBRs in the league.

Feels very premature, and I want to know what Tua is too. I think Mac Jones is showing that having receivers that are too good for college does a lot for a QB.

This feels like a big mistake by Miami. Not saying Shitzpatrick is the world's greatest QB but he's been holding his own there and is keeping them competitive in a suddenly winnable division.

Plus the Bama Tua Twitter stan community is insufferable right now. 

Edited by cubbymark
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

This feels like a big mistake by Miami. Not saying Shitzpatrick is the world's greatest QB but he's been holding his own there and is keeping them competitive in a suddenly winnable division.

Plus the Bama Tua Twitter stan community is insufferable right now. 

Imagine being an Auburn fan who also happens to root for the Dolphins. It feels like a really cruel sports joke on me from God, but I want the Dolphins to be relevant and good, so whatever it takes!

• Sad 1

Obviously the Bills D is pathetic, and I'm not sure what fix there is for it. Josh is coming down to earth a bit, but he still had stretches last night that were okay.  Play calling on both sides needs a ton of work.

My guess is that it has always been The Plan to transition to Tua during this bye week, regardless of how well Fitzpatrick was playing or not.

I feel like people are overstating how well Fitzpatrick has been playing.  Aside from the one outlier game against SF, he’s been...fine?  And of the Fins’ 3 wins this year, two were against hapless Jacksonville and the Jets.  And, sure, when you’re the Dolphins there is tangible value to being Not As Bad As Jax or the Jets, but it’s not like the team is performing so far over expectations that you’re really risking a playoff run or something by making this switch.  It would be unwise to press pause on the future to chase the outside chance of a 1st round playoff loss in the present.

Edited by EVA

Y'all really outchea talking about it being a mistake to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick in the year of our lord 2020?  It's never a bad idea to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick, he's Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Benching Ryan FItzpatrick before he reminds you that he's Ryan Fitzpatrick is the right choice 100% of the time.  He been the same dude for like 15 years, and he's still fooling y'all...couldn't be me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

After making the decision to start any player who plays against the Cowboys on my fantasy team, I went through the schedule and found that I don't have a single player who plays against the Cowboys for the rest of the season.  I'm pretty sure they're going to win that division, because they play the WFT, Eagles, and Giants twice, and the Bengals once.  The only horrible dumpster fire team missing is the Jets.

Does this mean the Lions are only a "semi-horrible dumpster fire team" on the supremebve rating scale?

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9614471

Yeah, this doesn't exactly break my heart either.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't McCarthy out there fumbling twice or dropping pass after pass after pass last night though.

Man - I didn't fully process it until I just looked at Tankathon.

There are 9 teams with only 1 win and then the Jets

Imagine only having 1 win and being like "Fuck we pick 10th???"

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, this doesn't exactly break my heart either.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't McCarthy out there fumbling twice or dropping pass after pass after pass last night though.

I am not someone who would actively root for someone to lose their jobs but the garbage time TD by Drake should get some dudes cut. This was inexcusable especially after what Xavier Woods said a couple weeks ago about it not being possible to go full speed the entire game. However, this is what Jerry and Stephen get for having hard ons for explosive offenses and mediocre at best defenses.

With that said, the Cowboys never played this bad under Garrett. They've played bad, but this feels part intentional and part not being prepared. So there is definitely truth to that quote.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Man - I didn't fully process it until I just looked at Tankathon.

There are 9 teams with only 1 win and then the Jets

Imagine only having 1 win and being like "Fuck we pick 10th???"

Yeah, when I wrote that thing about the Jets being the only dumpster fire team the Cowboys don't play, I didn't look at the standings.  There are a lot of really bad teams this year.  

As a Browns fan, I'm split between hoping that the Browns make the playoffs and hoping Baker Vergara shits the bed bad enough that they have to replace him.  It sucks, because they have really good skill position talent.  The offense should be built around highlighting that talent, but it's built around hiding Baker's deficiencies.  You might win a few games like that, but you can't win long term like that.  I as just thinking about how people call me an Eli Manning hater, because I don't think he has any business in a Hall of Fame discussion.  With that said, Eli Manning was a good starting quarterback for over a decade.  I'm 39 years old and there hasn't been a good Browns quarterback for an entire decade since fucking Otto Graham.  That motherfucker retired before my mom was born.  This team should be good, and will probably end up with a good record, but as long as Baker is the quarterback they can't be more than about 45% of what they could be if they had just an average quarterback.  

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, when I wrote that thing about the Jets being the only dumpster fire team the Cowboys don't play, I didn't look at the standings.  There are a lot of really bad teams this year.  

As a Browns fan, I'm split between hoping that the Browns make the playoffs and hoping Baker Vergara shits the bed bad enough that they have to replace him.  It sucks, because they have really good skill position talent.  The offense should be built around highlighting that talent, but it's built around hiding Baker's deficiencies.  You might win a few games like that, but you can't win long term like that.  I as just thinking about how people call me an Eli Manning hater, because I don't think he has any business in a Hall of Fame discussion.  With that said, Eli Manning was a good starting quarterback for over a decade.  I'm 39 years old and there hasn't been a good Browns quarterback for an entire decade since fucking Otto Graham.  That motherfucker retired before my mom was born.  This team should be good, and will probably end up with a good record, but as long as Baker is the quarterback they can't be more than about 45% of what they could be if they had just an average quarterback.  

Was Bernie Kosar the last Browns QB that had sustained success?

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yes, the only one of my entire life.

Hey, you're old enough to have lived through the Brian Sipe era - he had five winning records in his 8/9 seasons and even led the league in TD passes once.

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

Hey, you're old enough to have lived through the Brian Sipe era - he had five winning records in his 8/9 seasons and even led the league in TD passes once.

Brian Sipe won the MVP in 1980, I was born in 1981.  His last year in the NFL was 1983.  I can't claim that, I don't have any memory of him other than a football card I had when I was a kid.

The city of New Orleans is suddenly all "Of course the Saints can have fans at games!"

It isn't many but I totally sure it had nothing to do with the team threatening to play home games at LSU

• Haha 2

Technically this could go in the other thread but I am lazy

Most likely the Washington Football Team will be the Washington Football Team next year too due to the length of time required to get all the licensing and trademark approvals for whatever name they pick.

Sure... I guess

I mean this was 20+ years ago but the Titans announced they were switching from Oilers to Titans in Nov 98, had their logo and uniforms the next month and were playing as such the next season

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, EVA said:

My guess is that it has always been The Plan to transition to Tua during this bye week, regardless of how well Fitzpatrick was playing or not.

This bye week is earlier than it was initially on the schedule. Dolphins got hit by the Pats/Broncos COVID rescheduling, so this would be slightly ahead on the time table.