DVDVR Message Board

The Rugby Thread, 2nd Tackle

SirFozzie

Oh, and in a bizarre situation, two teams from South Africa are going to be cut from Super Rugby. Rather then dissolving, or play in a lesser South African competition, they're going to join Pro12, playing teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40448854

This is expected to be the harbinger of adding American or Canadian teams in 2018-19.

• 4 months later...

Excellent stuff. All the Pacific Island games have been tremendous for atmosphere. Samoa vs. Tonga was pretty good, too. PNG playing their group games at home has been something else. I don't expect them to beat England in the quarters but it'd be quite some result if they did. 

Shame about Wales, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wotta finish in England vs Tonga Rugby League World Cup Semi-Final. Almost.

In Rugby Union...

Wait, Scotland put up 50? AGAINST Australia? What world is this? Scotland's getting better, but I would have had them having problems scoring 50 against a Tier-Two side, not the Aussies.

• 2 months later...

But here's the $64,000 question: will they play at Red Bull Arena? That would make all the sense in the world if they want to present themselves as a credible major league organization. Playing on, say, a high school field would be a very bad sign.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, sabremike said:

But here's the $64,000 question: will they play at Red Bull Arena? That would make all the sense in the world if they want to present themselves as a credible major league organization. Playing on, say, a high school field would be a very bad sign.

Aren't they playing at Gaelic Park in the Bronx?

On 3/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, SirFozzie said:

Congrats to Ireland for clinching the Six Nations with a week to spare.

Add the grand slam to that 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

BIG win for the USA Union side, as they squeak by Scotland 30-29. It was the first victory for a US Rugby team over a tier one side in just about forever. Scotland scored a try in time added on, but the conversion was no good.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NBC Sports is airing a weekly game from the Premiership and the European Cup. It's growing slowly (both the Pro14 and Super Rugby want to be the one to crack the American market with full time franchises, but right now, games in the US from the premiership are not getting full crowds yet)

But I love the drama of Rugby. Newcastle is having a horrible season in the Premiership, but barely lost to Toulon last week, and this week against Heavily favored Montpelier, they needed a last minute try to beat them. Did I say last minute, how about last minute + 9 Minutes!

9 Minutes of added time,. trying to get over that line with attempt after attempt, the defense trying desperately to keep them out. One miscue would end the game.

THIRTY NINE PHASES, and they needed all of them to get the ball grounded, and win the game

• 3 months later...

It was Ireland they beat so confidently, on their own patch. Far worse a sign than if they beat Scotland in such a fashion. It's looking like the only thing standing between the forces of darkness and a grand slam are Wales in Cardiff. Now, if there's one game that Wales will be up for, it's England in Cardiff but their performances so far have been nothing inspiring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wales continue their streak of non-bonus point wins, leaving them with just Ireland to beat next week in Cardiff. Fortunately, if they get a fifth bonus point win, they get three bonus points for winning the Grand Slam, rendering all other bonus points meaningless; by that I mean all the bonus points that England have been racking up. I like bonus points, but why the hell bother if you're going to do that?

England beat Italy, almost as comprehensively as England Women beat their Italian counterparts, and Eddie Jones muses that relegation should be a thing because that's how he rolls. Again, it's not something I disagree with, although I would do relegation on a two-yearly cycle so that everyone at least gets their five home games.

France made a game of it in the second half against the aforementioned Ireland side, but I figured I'd rather watch my local RL team beat London Skolars on youtube. Skolars did a better job of "showing the referee good pictures," which is my favourite euphemism for "playing for penalties," but the mighty North Wales Crusaders did pretty much everything else better and won. The Championship teams get added to the draw next round, and I kinda hope we get a cupcake so that next time out we can go to a Super League side. (Screw you, I can and do say "we" when I'm talking about them because I've got a season ticket. Only team I do that for.)