DVDVR Message Board

The Rugby Thread, 2nd Tackle

SirFozzie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well... Not a good look for major league rugby... As the top two teams in the West, Austin and Los Angeles have been disqualified from the playoffs due to salary cap shenanigans. Both teams are owned by the same person

• 2 weeks later...

Who has the US rights to SupeRugby or whatever the Southern Hemisphere club competition is? I got a cool Sharks hat and shirt from WRS on clearance for $25 total and wish to follow them (their logo is the greatest thing ever).

12 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

South African teams no longer play in Super Rugby. They play in the United Rugby Championship along with teams from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy. 

That's on Peacock IIRC right?

57 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Not sure. They used to show it on ESPN when it was the Top 14. The season finished yesterday. 

Just found out it's on FloSports. 

• 2 weeks later...

The All Blacks' build up to the first test against Ireland has been less than ideal with a COVID outbreak in the camp. The head coach and several members of the coaching team tested positive for COVID along with three players -- two midfielders and an outside back, the latter being try scoring sensation Will Jordan. The big news though is lock Scott Barrett being selected at 6, a move that backfired spectacularly in the World Cup semi against England. To be fair, there are some injuries influencing the selection, but the coaches are also enamored with the idea of having more size and physicality on the field. They want an extra lineout option since Ardie Savea is undersized at No.8, but this is what infuriates me about modern rugby. Scott Barrett, Sam Cane and Ardie Savea are three of New Zealand's better players, which is why the coaches want them on the field at the same time, but Barrett is a lock and Cane and Savea are both number 7s. The Irish backrow must be licking their lips at the prospect of taking on that All Black combination. Beauden Barrett was selected at 10, which personally I have no faith in. The All Blacks seem ripe for the picking. Ireland lost their midweek game to the Maori All Blacks, but I doubt that will have much bearing on the test match. Irish fans don't seem overly thrilled with their match day 23, either, but this is a weak All Blacks side. The only things in our favor are home field advantage and the possibility of a tired Irish team after a long Northern Hemisphere season. Not confident. 

• Haha 1

Ireland showed enough outside of the second quarter NZ blitz to show they can win the second test if they cut down on their errors. I will admit that the New Zealand backrow played better than expected. The result was somewhat of a surprise. The scoreline flattered the All Blacks a bit. I still feel that New Zealand gives the opposition too much possession. We live off turnover ball and our attack thrives in broken play, but our losses in recent times have shown the folly of relying too much on turnover ball. England played dumb rugby, and Wales weren't brave enough, as usual. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, DangerMark said:

Let's just agree not to talk about the Home Nations and their summer tour.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:13 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Ireland showed enough outside of the second quarter NZ blitz to show they can win the second test if they cut down on their errors. I will admit that the New Zealand backrow played better than expected. The result was somewhat of a surprise. The scoreline flattered the All Blacks a bit. I still feel that New Zealand gives the opposition too much possession. We live off turnover ball and our attack thrives in broken play, but our losses in recent times have shown the folly of relying too much on turnover ball. England played dumb rugby, and Wales weren't brave enough, as usual. 

Second Test: New Zealand 12-23 Ireland.

Ireland beat New Zealand for the first time ever in New Zealand.

Second Test: Australia 7-19 England. Second half just resumed.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Second Test: New Zealand 12-23 Ireland.

Ireland beat New Zealand for the first time ever in New Zealand.

Second Test: Australia 7-19 England. Second half just resumed.

Australia 17-25 England. FT.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

Even if we beat Ireland, I really want Ian Foster gone. 

I think you'll get your wish:

FT: New Zealand 22-32 Ireland. HT: 3-22.

Ireland's first series win in New Zealand. Only 5th international team to do so.

Edited by The Natural