DVDVR Message Board

¡Raw es El Gran Gordo! - 10/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Elias did crack me up with 'I love none of you', but I'm not sure how many ppl would have sat through that performance (I didn't)

We didn't. Usually around the second hour is when the wife and I switch over to BTE.

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

One man's wrasslin TV show power rating tiers

Dynamite

Smackdown

NXT

Impact

Raw

You forgot Dark!

• Like 1

Having Retribution lose via tap out was certainly a choice, especially after revealing Ali as their leader. Them getting dusted by the Fiend is much more questionable. Then again, most everyone hates the group, anyway. So aside from Ali's great promo last night, I don't know if anything was actually lost. Not feeling Fiend being inserted into this story.

Ramblin' Rabbit having a family was a revelation. The puppets still entertain me.

The doorman becoming the biggest star from RAW Underground is fantastic, no joke. Some will complain about Riddle, but there's  some off-screen stuff going into this. 

Kofi-Sheamus was solid.

Lana and the announcer's table: the best duo since peanut butter and jelly. Jokes aside, she's improved a bit ring-wise. Women's tag division is still a mess. I guess Peyton-Lacey tagging is going to lead to a feud, which, BLEH.

El Gran Gordo is a fun idea and would be cool to watch if RAW was in better shape. Having Miz demolish him in a promo made no sense, though.

Strowman-Lee was. . .something. Having Braun go over anyone in any way after being choked out by Roman? I don't get it.

Orton had a good promo, but it ended awkwardly. Having the show cut off as McIntyre threatens to take Orton to hell made sure the night ended with a thud.

Comparing SD to RAW right now is off the mark. SD's main characters have clear motivations. They have cohesion to where, even if a segment misses the mark, the wrestlers can carry them to good episodes. RAW doesn't have this. McIntyre is running in circles, Asuka can't do much until they give her better opponents. Even the Hurt Business is being hurt (pun not intended) by being pulled into the Fiend's orbit. The Mysterio story has gone on too long, but it won't swallow SD whole like the Fiend did with RAW last year when he was challenging Rollins. 

It's hard to believe both shows are coming from the same creative team.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If that happens then they need to have conversations where Asuka only speaks Japanese and Lana only speaks English, but somehow they understand each other. And they put other people through tables instead.

They did that with Austin and Tajiri didn’t they? The understanding each other part, not the tables part.

Edited by JonnyLaw

When you think you're an underutilized, overlooked performer, and then the WWE bookers give you the gimmick of "complains about being underutilized and overlooked", it's not to push you, it's to prove that they were right. Because if they were going to push you, they would have.

Either that, or they are still massively overcorrecting from having seen how overextended the nWo invasion was in WCW.

• Like 1

I am going the other direction and am slightly pleasantly surprised that WWE realized Retribution was a dud now as opposed to several weeks from now which is about when I would have expected it to dawn on them. I'd rather this than them trying and failing to convince me to take them seriously for much longer.

8 hours ago, username said:

I am going the other direction and am slightly pleasantly surprised that WWE realized Retribution was a dud now as opposed to several weeks from now which is about when I would have expected it to dawn on them. I'd rather this than them trying and failing to convince me to take them seriously for much longer.

I do generally agree but I think what stings about effectively ending them is that they had Ali turn heel and cut a helluva promo to try and make this work.  So to give up on it so soon means his heel turn was all for nothing.  And likely shouldn't haven't happened in the first place to be honest.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1