DVDVR Message Board

THE 2020 WORLD SERIES - TAMPA BAY vs. LOS ANGELES

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I know this year will have a Big asterisk* next to it, but I don't care. 

2017 doesn't. Why the fuck should 2020?

Dodgers all goddamn day, my dude. 

I was 10 years old, going apeshit in my living room with my Dad in 1988. Today I got to do that with my sons. What a fucking excellent day.

Manfred getting motherfucked is outstanding, and it seems like he is either hammered or stroking out.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listen you can make a ton of arguments of how the virus is being contacted and distance and such.  But I would think that kissing is a lock for transferring a virus.  

If you think Manfred handled the situation terribly, imagine if the Rays would have won the actual game and we would have went to game 7.   

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

good, hard fought win for the Dodgers. 

the Ray's lack of offense is what really doomed them. They won Game 4 due to TWO Dodger errors (in the same play!), had opportunities to win Game 5 but squandered them, and put up pretty much nothing in Game 6. 

They are a good young team with a great pitching staff, but you can't rely 100% on defense. You gotta get hits! 

How Justin Turner made it back onto the field to join his teammates is a question that was being asked around the sport early Wednesday morning, as the Dodgers rejoiced and the images of the scene spread quickly.

One general manager texted: "A superspreader event on live TV. Welcome to 2020." A prominent player messaged: "what the f--- is going on."

The answer: Turner ignored the protocol that calls for COVID-positive players to isolate. He did this with the support of his teammates and the organization. Next to nobody had been as important to the Dodgers as Turner over the last seven seasons. They had spent time in the bubble with him, ridden the bus to the stadium with him, shared the clubhouse with him. He was their leader. And if it meant taking the risk of contracting the virus, if it meant stoking the ire of those watching, those were consequences they were willing to suffer.

Every day, living in America, living around the world, there are behaviors, choices, responsibility. Why did Justin Turner choose to do what he did -- to flout Manfred, who told Fox after the game that Turner "was immediately isolated to prevent spread," only for him to proceed to the field, to hold the Commissioner's Trophy? Was it personal? Did Turner consider that he was the one who had emphasized the protocols when baseball was considering shutting down? Or was it something simpler, a behavior and a choice that overwhelmed whatever responsibility one might feel? That this was a moment he couldn't miss, wouldn't miss?

"Having a chance to take a picture with the trophy," Friedman said, "was incredibly important and meaningful to him."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30202748/world-series-2020-oddest-world-series-ends-most-2020-moment-season

I get the need to have their "leader" out there to celebrate but I can think of a few things off the top of my head for how to accomplish this without potentially infecting anybody.  Their only hope is that he ended up getting a false positive otherwise the whole team is a bunch of guilty folks who need to be punished.

I love that the Security people are just like "well, we asked..." as if they couldn't, you know, remove him like security are supposed to do.  Or call the cops in and have him removed.  

FWIW, he did wear a mask at least part of the time on the field during the celebration.  But, yeah, touching the trophy and all that... he deserves a really, really long suspension.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

MLB ratings are down again, if they don't punish him severely they will likely drop even more. They didn't give the Astro's a strong enough punishment and I doubt they will for Turner. I hope I'm wrong. 

They didn’t give the Astros players punishment cause they wouldn’t have agreed too say a word without immunity. They wouldn’t have been punished at all otherwise. 

The more I found out about Turner the more pissed off I ended up getting.  He should not have been out there and it makes me worry about the rest of the team.  Especially since in the photo the guy next to him was a cancer survivor.  So I hate to think about what may happen if he gets it.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The more I found out about Turner the more pissed off I ended up getting.  He should not have been out there and it makes me worry about the rest of the team.  Especially since in the photo the guy next to him was a cancer survivor.  So I hate to think about what may happen if he gets it.

He has been around his teammates and manager (who is the cancer survivor) for weeks so him being out there with them isn't the issue at that moment. They were exposed long before then.

The issue is him going out and putting all the people who haven't been in close contact with him (media, MLB staff, stadium staff, etc...) at risk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

If Turner really had a test come back non-conclusive the day before the game, why was he allowed to play?

And why weren't they using rapid testing?

This is such a weird story.

Here is what that article I posted said about the timeline

On Monday, the Dodgers submitted the same COVID-19 spit tests that they have for months. During the season, the tests were administered every other day. Come the playoffs, the frequency increased to daily. The tests were shipped to the testing lab in Utah that MLB had retrofitted to serve as its nerve center for coronavirus testing. After some missteps early in the testing process that made GMs around baseball question the efficacy of MLB's plan, the system wound up working out well enough to quell complaints. One GM, who had expressed significant skepticism about why the league was even bothering holding a season, said Tuesday morning: "MLB should be proud. It actually pulled this off."

The exact time the Monday tests arrived in Utah, as well as when the lab ran them, is unclear. But one source with knowledge of the testing said the results, which typically have arrived before games are played, were delivered late. How this happened before a potential World Series clincher -- and what it says about the league's protocol -- will be among the questions Manfred answers in the coming days.

In the second inning of Game 6, sources told ESPN, MLB received a call from the lab. One test had come up inconclusive: Turner's. It showed some characteristics associated with a positive test, sources said, but the efforts to amplify the results by doctors running the tests did not say for certain. Inconclusive tests are relatively commonplace in coronavirus testing. There are no known cases of the league pulling players from games for inconclusive tests. When Cincinnati outfielder Nick Senzel tested positive for COVID-19, he was informed immediately and taken out of the team's handshake line.

The tests taken on the day of Game 6 arrived around the same time as the inconclusive result. Rather than rerun it, the lab was told to fast-track the test Turner had taken Tuesday. The results would take two hours. In that time, the World Series would be won.

-----------

An inning later, in the seventh, Turner's results arrived. The Tuesday test said he was COVID-positive. The lab reached out to the league. The league reached out to the Dodgers. The Dodgers filtered word to the dugout. Roberts pulled Turner from the game before the eighth and inserted Edwin Rios.

So yeah - it appears clear that in a normal game, Turner would have been yanked in the second when the inconclusive test showed up but since it was the World Series everyone just tried to pretend everything was fine

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He has been around his teammates and manager (who is the cancer survivor) for weeks so him being out there with them isn't the issue at that moment. They were exposed long before then.

The issue is him going out and putting all the people who haven't been in close contact with him (media, MLB staff, stadium staff, etc...) at risk

It's still fucked but but that makes sense.  Thanks.

And I'm not gonna post much else about it so I can see how this plays out.  But this is one of those things where my interest in MLB at the moment is hanging by a thread.  It was tested a bit when the Astros fiasco previously went down.  But as the investigation about this goes if it turns out the way I'm fearing then that might be it for me until something big happens.