DVDVR Message Board

New Day Fades - SDL - 10/16/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Tonight is billed as the final New Day six-man match, they will take on Shinsuke Nakamura, Sheamus, and Cesaro.  

A change of speed, a change of style
A change of scene, with no regrets
A chance to watch, admire the distance...

• Like 1

Don't have a strong interest in Roman/Goldberg at this moment though its certainly into a bad idea for a SS main event. If it happens hopefully its a quick bomb dropping brawl with Roman winning. What I really want though is Roman vs. Bryan & Roman vs. Nakamura at some point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Don't have a strong interest in Roman/Goldberg at this moment though its certainly into a bad idea for a SS main event. If it happens hopefully its a quick bomb dropping brawl with Roman winning. What I really want though is Roman vs. Bryan & Roman vs. Nakamura at some point.

Don't forget about Roman vs Rey!

• Like 1

First Smackdown I've watched in almost a year, I enjoyed it too.  That ending angle was poorly conceived. The refs are all clearly heels.  Roman beats the shit out of Brawn with a chair, nothing.  Uso wallops Roman once, the entire lockerroom empties like their houses are on fire with their kids inside.  Uso hitting Roman with a chair and screaming "I LOVE YOU" was a cool little moment.

9 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

First Smackdown I've watched in almost a year, I enjoyed it too.  That ending angle was poorly conceived. The refs are all clearly heels.  Roman beats the shit out of Brawn with a chair, nothing.  Uso wallops Roman once, the entire lockerroom empties like their houses are on fire with their kids inside.  Uso hitting Roman with a chair and screaming "I LOVE YOU" was a cool little moment.

It was because all the refs fear Roman, not Jey.

I do enjoy that Roman has turned the lowblow kickout into a signature move.

• Like 1

First Roman match I'd seen since his character makeover. Have to say, Strowman vs Reigns was more or less every Strowman vs Reigns match ever. Except he has an I Quit match coming up, so he used a submission finish. Only for some reason, he used a "Go to sleep" submission rather than an "I'm tearing your limbs from your body" submission. Seems counter productive, that. You can't verbally submit if you're unconscious.

New Day's final match and general goodbye were both quite good.

The Seth/Bryan segment was decent though I'm disappointed the feud with the Mysterios is continuing.

Bayley & Sasha's contract signing was good. I liked Bayley finally admitting to her general fear that Sasha would betray her so she did it first. Sasha's rebuttal was good and felt like it had some emotion to it.

Roman/Braun was nice while it lasted. It had a different feel from their usual matches with Roman fighting a much more even fight and actually doing some slightly clever things to take and keep advantage. The guillotine was an interesting to surprise to see Roman break out as a finish. Will be interesting if it becomes a norm for him or if it was just a giant killer for this particular match. The post match attack with Roman making an example out of Braun was good. Dug Roman trying to drag Jey to the dark side unsuccessfully.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

It was because all the refs fear Roman, not Jey.

I do enjoy that Roman has turned the lowblow kickout into a signature move.

Ditto. Whoever came up with that at Clash of Champions 2020 be it Reigns, Heyman, Jey or an agent, kudos.

Edited by The Natural

As far as matches that were on TV this week in which the World Champion (a former member of The Shield) wrestled a larger opponent, and successfully employed a headlock choke in the closing moments go, I preferred Moxley vs Archer to Reigns vs Straumann.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

First Roman match I'd seen since his character makeover. Have to say, Strowman vs Reigns was more or less every Strowman vs Reigns match ever. Except he has an I Quit match coming up, so he used a submission finish. Only for some reason, he used a "Go to sleep" submission rather than an "I'm tearing your limbs from your body" submission. Seems counter productive, that. You can't verbally submit if you're unconscious.

Check Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso from Clash of Champions 2020 out. One of the best WWE matches this year. Top three at least.

Hearing that they want Big E to be a more serious act is Probably the main reason for having them on different brands. The New Day was aimed toward the younger audience but I think the chemistry between those guys is so Authentic that older fans were able to get with it too. I hope they don't try too hard to make him become a serious that he's forced into being someone that he's not. The New Day were having fun all the time, even though it might not be for everyone I think one of the reasons they get over so well beyond the kids is because that's pretty much them letting loose outside the ring. I  can understand Big E becoming more serious business when he doesn't have them around.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Hearing that they want Big E to be a more serious act is Probably the main reason for having them on different brands. The New Day was aimed toward the younger audience but I think the chemistry between those guys is so Authentic that older fans were able to get with it too. I hope they don't try too hard to make him become a serious that he's forced into being someone that he's not. The New Day were having fun all the time, even though it might not be for everyone I think one of the reasons they get over so well beyond the kids is because that's pretty much them letting loose outside the ring. I  can understand Big E becoming more serious business when he doesn't have them around.

You can be an act that can be taken seriously and not be "serious".  WWE harps on and on about how their most successful characters were the ones that were amplifications of their own personality. And yet they handicap organically dynamic characters with the company's "in the box" view of what they think a successful character should be.

• Like 2