DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/14/2020

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They let the majority of those names sit around collecting dust for 20 years. It's gonna be a hard task for you to get me to believe something you show no attention to for 20 years is something you give a shit about. Hell they didn't even use those trademarks when Dusty was still alive and heavily involved in NXT & the performance center.

It's like WWE has this big toy box full of toys. None of them excite them anymore so they collect dust and don't get used. But the second someone else gets excited by them and wants to use them, all of a sudden those are their favorite toys and no one can have them and they always cared about these toys so so much.

Sorry dude, but the rich kid toy box theory is gonna be hard for you to dispute lol.

That is kind of my point. If someone is showing interest in the names then others might. This is not a WWE thing. Companies do not like to give up trademarks. One of the reasons Marvel and DC will sometimes bring back random characters in stories who haven't seen use in a decade or more is purely to protect the trademarks.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I always felt like a lot of the current issues NXT has can be half-sarcastically chalked up to the then NXT fan's monkey paw wish that Gargano and Ciampa never get called up to the main roster. The simple fact is that as a developmental fed where you just cycle through building someone up, get the belt on them, let them have their run, put someone over and have them called up is kinda the easy mode of booking. You don't have to deal with the whole "well what do we do with them now?' that follows, you don't have them holding spots near the top that means there are less of them available, etc. I don't think the problem is the lack of taping a bunch of shows at once, going to two hours and stuff like that, the problem is that it's run like an actual regular fed now and it exposed that creatively they might not be as strong in that area.

I will say that there was some growing pains when it shifted to two hours, but I also feel comfortable pointing out that Keith Lee was constantly lost in the shuffle before that shift and suddenly when they had more time to fill and he got regular appearances he suddenly got hot and thrived.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

NXT tv right now is better than it was a year ago where when it started. A few months before AEW even hit tv the whole show was getting quite stale. I'm honestly not sure how anyone could try to argue what we have now is not decently better than what we got then. 

Eh, I don't agree.  Pre-pandemic, I enjoyed NXT much more than AEW.  It's fallen off lately, partly due to the pandemic and partly due to call-ups and injuries.  I still enjoy the women's division quite a bit.  The men, not so much.  UE are stale, but they don't have a lot else at the top of the card to replace them.

I guess you're right that I can't try to argue with you.  Why bother?  You've already got you mind made up and I don't really care which show is objectively better.  I don't enjoy either show right now, so I only watch bits and pieces.

Wow, slept way too long after the night shift, but here goes NXT!

NXT title is indeed cursed right now! Just becoming the champion gets you injured. I mean, some seem to think that getting HIT IN THE FACE may have something to do with it, but I think it's the title! What will become of Finn now, other than disfigured? Did Scarlet put a hex on the title when Kross gave it up?

How do you guys rate Fish & Strong as far as UE tag combos go? The match with 1-2 was very good, but not as good as the match 2 years ago. It would have been cool if Barret would have said that Oney used to have Breezango-like looks before Strong broke his face 2 years ago, when referencing that injury.

It was a nice save, btw, saying that Ridge Holland was doing someone's bidding. It's not going to be cool, when it turns out to be Velveteen Dream, though.

Legado seems to always be in deep shit any time the odds are even.

Rhea vs Raquel for Halloween Havoc? I'll be there!

Shotzi vs Candace was good and Candace may indeed have a new protege!

Gargano beating Theory was also good, but this starts to resemble the HHH burial of '96 for Theory. Well, that would mean that in something like February, he would be the North American champion with the aid of Wade Barrett. Yeah, me neither!

Ok, what ever reservations I had regarding the tag team of Killian Dain and Drake Maverick have evaporated at this point. The reluctant Quebecer tag team offence is awesome! Dain didn't even punch Drake out this week, just alluded to it! Yeah, the mesh shirts for their ring attire, that gets my vote, always!

Um, is Boa like representing the Chinese government? And Xia needs a match because she made China look bad, recently? Um, yeah, no! And the opponent had better not be Kacy, if Xia REALLY needs a win! Goddammit!

The ovation for Toni Storm's entrance was LOUD, no matter how artificial it was. The new, slightly less bad-ass entrance theme took a little bit of it away, but still.

Priest vs Lumis was a weird pairing, but apparently it was just to advance the Grimes-Lumis feud. That one actually makes sense. The guy who never speaks vs the guy who never STFU's works just fine. Oh, shit! SPIN THE WHEEL? So, a Coal Miner's Glove and a Prince(ss) of Darkness matches for Johnny and Candace, respectively? This is their 3rd time to get this done, you'd think at least ONE of them wins, right?

Shotzi's great and all, but acting may not be her strongest of suits. Maybe just give her a match? That made Elvira sound natural! And she's like, supernatural...

Good episode, pretty much everything was cool.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

It was a nice save, btw, saying that Ridge Holland was doing someone's bidding. It's not going to be cool, when it turns out to be Velveteen Dream, though.

It wasn't a save. Holland pretty much admitted he was paid off last week. 

So I watched the (1 hour) highlights of this show. It looked OK (it was full matches of Gargano vs Default CAW, Shotzi vs Candace, Toni Storm vs the other girl, a backstage thing with Rhea Ripley and a tall woman, and Dexter Lumis vs some tan guy who thinks he's a rock star). But I did get to see what was actually listed on the Wheel. Blindfold match and Coal Miner's Glove on a pole were both on there. So were three different things that I took to mean Cage Match (Devil's Playground? Chamber of Horrors? How do you do a one on one Chamber of Horrors?).

4 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

And used that $ to buy the Sweet Car he came to the building in. 

I wonder if he had anything left to cover the costs of the post surgery inactivity? Probably can't even drive the car and enjoy it for a good while. He probably thought he'd be getting more of the well paying ass-kicking gigs in the near future. Wait, it was Pat McAfee who's paying him, right? He's loaded, and hates Adam Cole and slightly resembles Holland, so he used him as an avatar, right?