DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/14/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Strong/Fish vs. 1/2 was good.

Drake & Dain continue to be a fun team.

Candice & Shotzi getting the shot for being no. 1 contender did not make much sense, but the match was good. I du the finish with Indi sneaking the knucks to Candice.

Ember not trying to step in front of people for a title based purely on her history was nice. She will earn her way back to the top.

Toni/Aliyah was a nice competitive squash.

Priest/Lumis was about what I expected. There were some nice moments, but Priest is still isn't super interesting to me as a character while Lumis is kind of average in the ring. The sneak attack by Grimes at the end was neat. That post match crossroads looked great with how Grimes took it.

Kind of disappointed two of matches for Halloween Havoc are rematches. Still glad Rhea vs. Raquel is happening on a slightly bigger stage instead usual NXT tv.

Why do Takeovers have generic names now and random episodes of the TV have PPV names? Oh right, because NXT's sole purpose now is to take petty shots at Cody Rhodes via using all of Dusty's gimmicks against AEW head to head. ?

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy some parts of NXT. But it's definitely fallen off since the Wednesday Night Wars started. The great pacing and storytelling that they originally had is mostly gone. I know they've had a string of really bad luck with injuries at the top of the card, so I'm trying not to be too hard on them. But NXT TV is becoming almost as much of a slog to get through as main roster TV.

Anyone else feel that way, or am I alone on this island?

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Why do Takeovers have generic names now and random episodes of the TV have PPV names? Oh right, because NXT's sole purpose now is to take petty shots at Cody Rhodes via using all of Dusty's gimmicks against AEW head to head. ?

Yes, thats it. Its not about protecting trademark or anything after Cody tried to grab at everything he could when AEW started. They do have to actively use the names. No reason to not use them for NXT. Those random episodes they end up using them for are basically sold as special events.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy some parts of NXT. But it's definitely fallen off since the Wednesday Night Wars started. The great pacing and storytelling that they originally had is mostly gone. I know they've had a string of really bad luck with injuries at the top of the card, so I'm trying not to be too hard on them. But NXT TV is becoming almost as much of a slog to get through as main roster TV.

NXT tv right now is better than it was a year ago where when it started. A few months before AEW even hit tv the whole show was getting quite stale. I'm honestly not sure how anyone could try to argue what we have now is not decently better than what we got then. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yes, thats it. Its not about protecting trademark or anything after Cody tried to grab at everything he could when AEW started. They do have to actively use the names. No reason to not use them for NXT. Those random episodes they end up using them for are basically sold as special events.

Ah. So it's about protecting trademarks they didn't give a shit about for 20 years until someone else showed interest by buying up the dormant ones.

Takeover 31 is a lame name for a PPV. If they want to put those names back into circulation do it for the PPVs so the names mean something. Instead they just happen to use them as tv "specials" when going head to head with the guy that tried to buy most of them? Just coincidence? Nah. Shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion. Had they skipped doing Takeover 31 and instead did the PPV in October and titled it Halloween Havoc, don't you think the PPV would have a better identity / bigger feel? Or is Takeover 31 a name that gets you hyped?

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

NXT tv right now is better than it was a year ago where when it started. A few months before AEW even hit tv the whole show was getting quite stale. I'm honestly not sure how anyone could try to argue what we have now is not decently better than what we got then. 

This is a matter of preference so I don't have any issue with what you're enjoying. My comment wasn't about October of last year's NXT tv. I was talking about NXT tv before they went to 2 hours. When it was on the network. It had a way different pacing and better story telling. That's my preference and what I preferred. Sasha vs Bailey's story. Cesaro vs Zayne and Sami's long run up the ladder to the title. Stuff like that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Takeover 31 is a lame name for a PPV. If they want to put those names back into circulation do it for the PPVs so the names mean something. Instead they just happen to use them as tv "specials" when going head to head with the guy that tried to buy most of them? Just coincidence? Nah. Shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion. Had they skipped doing Takeover 31 and instead did the PPV in October and titled it Halloween Havoc, don't you think the PPV would have a better identity / bigger feel? Or is Takeover 31 a name that gets you hyped?

So you have issues with Wrestlemania 9, 15, 27, 31, etc. as well right? Takeover is already a name/brand title that signifies a bigger show. Same with much of WWE's ppvs. Other than occasionally switching them its more useful to them to use those names a special events. I don't think using the name for an NXT ppv would have been a bigger would have been a bigger sell than the usual Takeover which already happened this month, and NXT seems to not do more than one ppv every mother month or so.

56 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is a matter of preference so I don't have any issue with what you're enjoying. My comment wasn't about October of last year's NXT tv. I was talking about NXT tv before they went to 2 hours. When it was on the network. It had a way different pacing and better story telling. That's my preference and what I preferred. Sasha vs Bailey's story. Cesaro vs Zayne and Sami's long run up the ladder to the title. Stuff like that.

Then you are talking about well before the NXT before they hit 2 hours.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I don’t know. Is NXT a pacing/story issue or a talent issue? I’m just not impressed with a lot of these guys in prominent spots (Priest, Lumis, Grimes). The talent level (Balor excluded) just isn’t what it was at NXT’s peak. 

I don't necessarily agree that the talent level isn't what it was at it peak, but I do think its a talent issue. Pacing/storytelling wise they are much honestly closer to where they were at during the times @NoFistsJustFlipsmentioned than they were a good year or two ago. Talent wise I think most of the roster are much better wrestlers than what we had then. They just aren't there as characters (Priest) or have gotten to the point where some are tired of them even with character changes (Gargano, Ciampa, etc.). I actually like Grimes. I just see him as mostly mid tier at best. 

Talent-wise, NXT is probably at it's deepest it's ever been. but it's a lot of guys in the midcard and not too many at the top.  The main problem NXT has had it they haven't really cycled out the old blood to make room for the new blood.  And the people they have cycled out never got their natural run in the main event spots (Riddle and Lee for example).  

• Like 1

I actually low key miss NXT the developmental... where you could watch someone like a Bayley or Sasha or Bo Dallas or the OG Wyatt family, and even Baron Corbin develop from green as goose shit to respectable to wow.

When WWE went on their signing spree of clearing out the indies, you lost some of that.  Gimme more of the sub 10 years in the business learning and developing and getting better, than the 10+ year indy vets coming in and choking out the new comers.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So you have issues with Wrestlemania 9, 15, 27, 31, etc. as well right? Takeover is already a name/brand title that signifies a bigger show. Same with much of WWE's ppvs. Other than occasionally switching them its more useful to them to use those names a special events. I don't think using the name for an NXT ppv would have been a bigger would have been a bigger sell than the usual Takeover which already happened this month, and NXT seems to not do more than one ppv every mother month or so.

Wrestlemania is a once a year specific name. Just like Starrcade or The World Series or The Super Bowl. I don't have a problem with them numbering Wrestlemanias because it's a once a year show. The point is moot because they don't even number them now. But the side of the argument you are fighting for is much closer to In Your House. When they started they were numbered, In Your House 2,3, 4, ect. Then they went to naming them, In Your House Canadian Stampede, In Your House Final 4, ect. Which is backwards from what NXT has done. They started by naming them, Takeover Revolution, Takeover Brooklyn, Takeover War Games, ect. Now they went to numbering them. And it's bland AF. And they happen like 6-8 times a year. Far different than a once a year Wrestlemania.

Can you specifically recall what made Takeover 30 different from Takeover 31? Nope. They happened two months apart and bleed together because they have no identity. While I can specifically recall what made Takeover Revolution different from Takeover War Games. But to my original point, even the average fan that doesn't pay as much attention as us, could *definitely* identify the difference between Great American Bash & Halloween Havoc.

The trademarks don't mean anything to them. They're using them for spite.

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The trademarks don't mean anything to them. They're using them for spite.

Won't say there is no spite involved, but the idea that companies don't give a shit about trademarks that can potentially make them money down the line is utter bull. No company likes to give up a trademark.

• Like 2

I'm sure naming something Halloween Havoc is gonna make WWE as much money as it did WCW: Not much. 

The thing about the Takeovers already being up to 31 now is it reminds of Evolve numbering every card of theirs. And maybe that's an accurate comparison in more ways than one. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Won't say there is no spite involved, but the idea that companies don't give a shit about trademarks that can potentially make them money down the line is utter bull. No company likes to give up a trademark.

They let the majority of those names sit around collecting dust for 20 years. It's gonna be a hard task for you to get me to believe something you show no attention to for 20 years is something you give a shit about. Hell they didn't even use those trademarks when Dusty was still alive and heavily involved in NXT & the performance center.

It's like WWE has this big toy box full of toys. None of them excite them anymore so they collect dust and don't get used. But the second someone else gets excited by them and wants to use them, all of a sudden those are their favorite toys and no one can have them and they always cared about these toys so so much.

Sorry dude, but the rich kid toy box theory is gonna be hard for you to dispute lol.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Vince or Cody or both? ?

Cody definitely comes off smug like a rich kid sometimes lol.

But no, that would be WWE from my perspective. Cody grew up idolizing Dusty. WWE mostly shit on him, until his passing. Even when Dusty was a part of their team. They spent two decades mostly laughing at Dusty gimmicks and booking decisions in their documentaries. So Cody, who has so much pride for Dusty, is just a motivated kid trying to prove the ideas his dad originated are not as shitty as the big rich corporation has been telling you for 20 years.