DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/14/2020 - 1st Anniversary!

Dolfan in NYC

I understand it's fun to book a tournament where Kenny and Hangman collide in the finals but seriously, doesn't this company have rankings?  Wouldn't the existence of ranking make a number one contender's tournament like this unnecessary?  Doubly so for the tag title four way thing.  That was literally pulled out of a tumbler on TV.  In both of these cases, there are wrestlers/teams in the top 5 not in the qualifier (tournament or four way).  Those guys should be pissed.  Why would anyone unranked be in a tournament when there are guys in the top 5 waiting for a shot?

If we're going to call out WWE for doing "contender eliminators" or whatever, than we have to call out AEW as well.  These things are often a crutch for filling time and a lack of booking/building contenders.

Edited by Technico Support

Eh, I’m fine with it.  I like the rankings. but I also feel like strictly booking by the rankings could get stale/predictable quick, so I don’t mind creating these Unique Opportunities that allow guys to shoot the moon and jump to the front of the line.  Keeps things exciting.

That said, if you really look at the history of these matches, you generally find that they’re used to confirm the logical next contender anyway:

The Buck were #1 before they won the tag battle royale for the title shot at Revolution.

FTR were #1 before they won the gauntlet prior to All Out.

The Bucks will likely be #1 in the new rankings Wednesday and are the heavy favorites to win the title shot, too.

Archer was #2 when he won the battle royale at All Out, so he was going to be the next logical contender for Mox anyway (but doing the match opened the door for the King/Mox story to happen).

But then you do have the occasional instance of, say, Cage coming in and going straight to the line by winning the ladder match.

It all seems fine to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Eh, I’m fine with it.  I like the rankings. but I also feel like strictly booking by the rankings could get stale/predictable quick, so I don’t mind creating these Unique Opportunities that allow guys to shoot the moon and jump to the front of the line.  Keeps things exciting.

That said, if you really look at the history of these matches, you generally find that they’re used to confirm the logical next contender anyway:

The Buck were #1 before they won the tag battle royale for the title shot at Revolution.

FTR were #1 before they won the gauntlet prior to All Out.

The Bucks will likely be #1 in the new rankings Wednesday and are the heavy favorites to win the title shot, too.

Archer was #2 when he won the battle royale at All Out, so he was going to be the next logical contender for Mox anyway (but doing the match opened the door for the King/Mox story to happen).

But then you do have the occasional instance of, say, Cage coming in and going straight to the line by winning the ladder match.

It all seems fine to me.

For sure, and I'm really just half-ass nitpicking because AEW has built up enough goodwill.

• Like 1