DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/14/2020 - 1st Anniversary!

Dolfan in NYC

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

Who even knows what Jake is doing anymore.

Re: Archer, what’s funny is I’m probably as big of an Archer fan as there is on this board, and I have zero problem with how AEW is using him.  Archer is awesome....and also approaching 44 years old and had a significant  back injury just a couple years ago.  This is not a guy you’re building for a big run.  This is a guy you’re trying to extract as many high-quality jobs from as you can before his body taps out and he loses his value.  And, to that end, he’s done a great job of making 2 of the company's top guys look great while not hurting anybody else of value on the way up.

I’m actually really interested to see where he goes now that, presumably, he’s out of the title pictures for a while.

Look, I know most of us love Archer, but you and WNBB both put it best that this is what he was brought in to do. Not to mention that just a week ago you pointed out that monster wrestlers shouldn't be unbeatable, but they should be a hard out. Moxley more or less escaped with a win. All of the pearl clutching and hard wringing over this wrestler who probably isn't a draw, can't really cut that great of a promo on his own, and is on the wrong end of 40 is weird. Archer has performed very well for the role he was given and other wrestlers are better off for it. Plus, they've established Archer as one of the top monsters on the show. Dude has only lost twice now. That's pretty good.

I expect the same reaction to happen when Moxley beats Eddie Kingston again. Look. Eddie is fucking amazing. He's an incredible promo, a good wrestler, I think he should get a run with the title, but ultimately, Eddie's purpose is going to be another chapter in this storyline leading up to Moxley getting beaten. It's very bittersweet, but we should all keep in mind that Eddie wasn't doing anything before this and the main thing he had going for him was NWA Powerrr, which, sorry, really sucks. It's totally fine as a nostalgia trip, but not that much more. Eddie is now on national cable TV every week and getting to finally show himself off to the world. Not only that, but he's been programmed against Cody AND Moxley for his entire AEW run. Will he win the title? Probably not, which makes it bittersweet, but he's still running with the opportunity given to him and that itself is pretty fucking awesome.

• Like 7

Frankly I'm not sure there's a guy on the roster, in their current form, that should beat Moxley any time soon. Jericho was IMO the only guy really on his level (you could easily argue Jericho should have retained given he was the MVP of the early covid era, but Mox has been great). Cody can't challenge for it and IMO isn't on that level anyway. I don't see someone worthy of pinning Mox until possibly Hangman when his story evolves into him returning to being an ass kicker. No one else is over enough IMO.

• Like 1

On the positive tip I thought, like most of you, that the Baker segment was a hoot ("Tony, are you naked?" "Well..." *everyone freaks out*) and unlike most of you I liked the Jericho/MJF segment. They have good obnoxious chemistry and it seriouses Jericho up a bit, to have someone more irritating than him doing his old gimmick and him having to stand there and take it. Plus Sammy looked like a kid wearing his dad's clothes ?

• Like 1

Eddie's post-show promo gave me chills.  Hopefully they put that on Youtube assuming it was still being recorded.  And at this point I hope their match is No DQ or something like that.  Full Gear last year had that wild Lights Out match and while it won't be at that level seeing Mox/Eddie beat the crap out of each other with plunder will easily justify the PPV purchase.  As for the title I really want Kingston to win it but Mox is untouchable in terms of star power.

• Like 1

I think they'll probably air the speech as a "last week after we went off the air" thing, it's too good not to. Even if Eddie loses they should use him as a spoiler, the thorn in Mox's side that he can't remove. He'd be great in that role. I was thinking they could use Archer in that role but Eddie would be way better. Archer can... I dunno. TNT belt might be better than tag. 

And whoever said hoss tourney again LET'S DO IT.

• Like 3

I liked the MJF and Inner Circle segment. Part of me wonders if it's leading to Sammy beating the shit out of Jericho and kicking him out. There were just so many layers to that segment from Ortiz being like "what the fuck" when MJF was code switching, Sammy looking really frustrated in the jacket, Hager locking eyes with Wardlow the entire time, etc.

35 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

My wife was ready to swear off the company forever at the end of that Cody/OC match until I told her they were having a rematch. That's how pissed off and/or invested in that match she was. Impressive.

The true highlight of the show was EDDIE WEARING AN EXPOS JERSEY.

Vladimir!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Shit, I didn't even think about that. I'm sure there are better options on the roster to fill that spot, like you mentioned, but if that's the story... I'm okay with it. I think if Scorpio was in the Janela spot, then it'd be a competitive match, which probably goes against the story they want to tell like you mentioned. We all want Omega/Jungle Boy, but giving him some shine would ruin that "he's a tag guy, I'm an elite singles performer, watch me destroy this dude in minutes" bullet point that they might be aiming for.

I don't think they've come out and said it but I think the idea of this tournament is to have guys in it that have never gotten a shot at the title before (yeah I know Hangman vs Jericho decided the first champion but he hasn't had a shot against either Jericho or Moxley since). 

Oh Gotch, hahaha Jake nonchalantly asking Archer to help him with that shirt, like the beating on Moxley was nothing, was just hilarious 

Here, help me get this on. Come on, help me put this on. Fucking dying ?

Miro going bananas at having that cabinet destroyed was fun, more plz. Keep wrecking his shit so he loses it and goes wild. Also for my Xmas wishlist, more Baker/Tony skits hahahahahaha

Is Cody the American Nightmare because he steals the spotlight from his opponents with those looooong intros ? The one highlight I've seen with Cody tonight is that the tape at least is doing a nice job covering that neck tattoo. Can we please keep the tatt taped in future matches??

Edited by Hayabusa
Drank the kool-aid
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Casey said:
21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought this was more Cody not being able to react in time to lucha style pins and stuff, but it might be the other way around. Maybe he just isn't fast or precise enough to pull off what he's going for. 

I was referring to when Orange slowly crawled between Cody’s legs to get to the corner. Cody looked around dumbfounded when he could have easily kicked him or jumped on him for a submission or something.

[quote]I think part of the problem is that we've been conditioned to expect shit like that to happen on "big" free TV shows from other companies, whether it's WWE or TNA or whatever. It's kind of refreshing that it was just a straightforward, all titles on the line episode of Dynamite that also happened to be the one year anniversary show (even though the real anniversary was like two weeks ago).[/quote]

And AEW has also conditioned us for major happenings on big shows. In retrospect, with the ppv being just a few weeks away it makes sense that they’d save the major events for the ppv though.

Edited by Bryan
Tried to quote two posts at once and it did not work out for me.

Janela getting in the tourney is funny, and it explained why they had him merc that jobber on AEW Dark. I actually like the Janela & Kiss team, at least on paper - I think as heels they'd be acceptable US Tag Champions. I'd almost be not against 'US Tag Championships' existing - there are a lot of tag teams and ppl like the Gunn Club/Silver & Reynolds could really do with something to work towards. Hell there's probably more tag teams in the Dark Order than on the entire RAW roster.

Anyway.....yeah I remember being certain a few weeks ago Archer was getting the belt, and then the tourney got announced and I realised I realised he was done for. I really hate that rollup finish though....did it ever happen before HHH did it to Jeff Hardy? I don't think so, I blame him.

All signs point to Omega, but I think they have created genuine uncertainty around the length of time they might have Moxley carry the belt. That said, he's a guy who might, no matter what he might say in interviews, one day become Dean Ambrose again and that might prevent them going for some Kobashi NOAH reign.

Also there's something a bit ugly about 4 title matches and no changes. I'm not against it happening per se, I somewhat favour lengthy reigns for top titles - but there's a balancing act to be struck because that's a big roster they got there.

• Like 1

Omega or Hangman as tournament winner seems like a lock. I have to say, I appreciate the way the Omega/Page team disintegrated gradually instead of a sudden Omega heel turn and while we still may get 'unlikely tag partners team then feud' at least it hasn't been done in a hackneyed manner. Kenny's denial and fear of Adam eclipsing him seems to be his driving force now so I think we'll see him take more and more shortcuts to win until a full turn, maybe in the finals themselves. Or maybe Kenny's fear will lead him to making sure Page loses so he doesn't have to face him and find out if Page actually is better or not. It'll be a good tournament!

14 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

The one highlight I've seen with Cody tonight is that the tape at least is doing a nice job covering that neck tattoo. Can we please keep the tatt taped in future matches??

oh man for a split second I thought the KT tape was a new tattoo and I was horrified.  I say this as a tattooed person btw

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I really hate that rollup finish though....did it ever happen before HHH did it to Jeff Hardy? I don't think so, I blame him.

Cody pinned Allin with a rollup that was a million times worse...there was zero force on it and it looked like Allin was a moron who didn't realize his shoulders were on the mat and pinned himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

oh man for a split second I thought the KT tape was a new tattoo and I was horrified.  I say this as a tattooed person btw

Cody pinned Allin with a rollup that was a million times worse...there was zero force on it and it looked like Allin was a moron who didn't realize his shoulders were on the mat and pinned himself.

They also did the same pinning combination in the Cody-Cassidy match which is an agent issue. They need to not go to that well multiple times in the same show, that's just good sense.

• Like 1