DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/14/2020 - 1st Anniversary!

Dolfan in NYC

Archer's doing what he's there for. Aside from getting some heat back after the match (which is a choice I wouldn't have made), eating losses to top babyfaces is his job. 

The Eddie Kingston thing went on too long also. Everyone knew he was gonna put a beatdown on Mox. 

Cody-OC was pretty good. The tag title match was fine until the video game shit. I guess Best Friends are determined to have the stupidest feuds possible.

• Like 3

MJF flexing on Sammy by making him wear a 5xl jacket was hilarious.

overall good title match. I think Cassidy vs Cody ending in a draw but with Orange nearly winning works. Seems like they have a lot of good feuds set up for the next couple of months.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I’m starting to get annoyed by wrestlers acting surprised when he moves really slowly.

I thought this was more Cody not being able to react in time to lucha style pins and stuff, but it might be the other way around. Maybe he just isn't fast or precise enough to pull off what he's going for. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I just don't think I'm diggin' modern wrestling for a hot second, especially during the pandemic. Tried to watch For the Culture and while there was some good, there is just so much contrived bullshit and the lack of good crowds is suddenly hitting me again. 

I can totally understand anyone feeling that way these days. Wrestling - really, sports and live entertainment in general - without real crowds is just weird and less satisfying to watch. 

I'm really glad that I can still enjoy wrestling,though. I'm not quite sure where I'll turn next if I ever get completely sick of it. Sometimes I just need to take a couple of days off from watching, then the itch comes back again. 

But, for the past year AEW has given me something I'd been dreaming of and waiting for since, maybe, 2004: A pro wrestling show (and other assorted online content) that I genuinely look forward to week after week, and also a reason to smile or mark out week after week. I'm disinclined to be too nit-picky at the moment (though anyone who looks at the G1 thread will see that I'm still capable of it). At the moment, I'm feeling grateful for having had a year of AEW to enjoy  in "these difficult times." And, recently, the G1, N1, and CC as well!

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Will Bucks/FTR headline the PPV? 

.I think it will. Tag Teams headlining a PPV is definitely something they have been talking about from before the very beginning. I think Bucks vs FTR is absolutely where they should pull that trigger. If not then, then when? 

Edited by gordi
  • Like 9

Lucha Bros draw, Kenny wins and gets the bye.

Page beats Colt but gets beaten down by the Dark Order afterwards. Faces Wardlow in the semis. Time running out, Page chooses to let Wardlow win as he doesn't think he's got enough left to beat Kenny. Wardlow beats Kenny and turns face after refusing to give MJF the shot

• Like 1

I thought Cody Vs. OC was both their best matches in quite sometime. Even if Cody got lost a few times during Cassidy’s version of French catch offense, they still had chemistry with one another in the personality department. I guess that’s due to them being in the same age range, and both being well pushed faces. Because of that they felt like contemporaries of one another even though they don’t share gimmicks. Which I guess reminds me of Sting Vs. Johnny B. Badd. Well, Johnny, and him didn’t wrestle each other at the height of Johnny’s WCW run, but they did tease it, and then pulled the rug from under us.

What I’m trying to say is, this is the first time OC looked like he was on even stature with a star wrestler, and not an underdog like he was with Jericho.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I thought it was a decent show.  No titles changed, though, which was not great.  Also, I swore the TNT promo before the show aired siad "three titles" when it was four.  But anyway, holy shit, it's been a year already.  Nice.

So Cody and Orange went to a draw.  That really took the air out of the room for me.  They should have announced the rematch soon after the draw instead of waiting a few segments, as it was hard for me to get back into the show after that meh finish.  So does Orange win it in two weeks?  The Darby involvement really clouds all the booking possibilities.  I really think they need to take the belt off Cody, have him put himself back in the top guys segment of the roster, and let the midcarders trade the belt.  Archer especially needs something now (more on that below).

FTR/Best Friends was good.  I kept trying to figure out who FTR's royal blue gear reminded me of.  My best guess was Furnas and LaFon.  I didn't mind someone going through Chekov's arcade cabinet as much as Meltzer did.  His point was that FTR is too serious a team to be engaging in such shenanigans.  I think he's missing the fact that "serious wrestlers" is just this gimmick that we're supposed to see through and that they're really chickenshit heels.  Anyway, no problem at all with them cheating to win and the segue the BF's to Miro and Sabian.  I did feel the finish looked clunky.  I've seen Rick Knox do topes and get in some shit.  He shouldn't be cowering from a possible shot.  Still, not a bad match.  I've seen dudes feud over shampoo commercials so an arcade cabinet is no biggie.

I loved the Britt Baker segment.  It was VERY Tuesday Night Titans.  Nice.

The tournament looks awesome and AEW's not afraid to do a tournament where we all probably know the finals and just do it that way anyway instead of swerving us.

I dig Eddie Kingston being the Heenan to Mox's Hogan.

The tag title four way feels too much like a foregone conclusion.

The MJF/Jericho stuff continues to be really fun.  STEAK DINNER.  Will MJF continue the "president" gimmick and order his well done with ketchup?

I liked Darby's makeup in the promo shot for his upcoming title match better than his real makeup.

I agree with those of us wondering where Archer goes now.  He hasn't done much in the way of storylines or world building, just quick builds to title programs where he lost each one.  I like the recommendations of making him a tag guy with another monster and yes, Cage seems to be in decline and could use it.  Also, his Colonel Klink spikey helmet looked dumb as fuck.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I *hate* the time remaining announcements since it only seems to happen when there's a draw coming.

Actually they’ve been doing that almost every week. I tend to notice it when I feel that a certain challenger shouldn’t take a loss in a title match. This is only the 4th match to end in a draw(If you count Kenny Vs. PAC as one of them). I kind of wish there a couple of more. Specifically in the tag division.

• Like 1

After a rough couple weeks to say the least (please see the "What's going on?" thread for that if you like) it was really nice to just be very entertained by various things from the show.  Was the whole show a home run?  Not really, but there were still enough things to get into.  I mean, Tony f'n Schiavone doing a segment like this with Britt was so incredibly funny to us.  I've been saying this for a year but seeing his renewed love for wrestling letting him do things like this just make me smile.  And while I get why some didn't find the Jericho/MJF thing funny I did.  Though FWIW I saw an immediate comparison to when Riddler was sucking up to Two Face from "Batman Forever".  I un-ironically loved that movie so it was nice to see something like that play out.  And up to the finish Cody/Orange was pretty darn good stuff as well as the main event.

But I will admit that for an anniversary show I bet a lot were expecting something game-changing to happen.  Whether it was a title change, new addition to the roster or even a Cody heel turn something should have happened.  So I get the disappointment even if it sucks to read that.  I think with Full Gear happening in early November they didn't feel a need to "hotshot" anything and just let it all come to a head for the PPV.  Which I get but it's still not what people were looking for.  For those having growing frustrations I guess I would ask to at least stick around until Full Gear as I'm hoping these things get sorted out by then.  But as for the show I overall liked it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But I will admit that for an anniversary show I bet a lot were expecting something game-changing to happen.

I think part of the problem is that we've been conditioned to expect shit like that to happen on "big" free TV shows from other companies, whether it's WWE or TNA or whatever. It's kind of refreshing that it was just a straightforward, all titles on the line episode of Dynamite that also happened to be the one year anniversary show (even though the real anniversary was like two weeks ago).

A big progression of a storyline or a title changing would have been nice, but maybe I was the only one that wasn't expecting something absolutely huge to happen - like a debut or whatever. But overall, it was a fun two hours, just like it usually is.

• Like 5

Just now, Casey said:

I think part of the problem is that we've been conditioned to expect shit like that to happen on "big" free TV shows from other companies, whether it's WWE or TNA or whatever. It's kind of refreshing that it was just a straightforward, all titles on the line episode of Dynamite that also happened to be the one year anniversary show (even though the real anniversary was like two weeks ago).

A big progression of a storyline or a title changing would have been nice, but maybe I was the only one that wasn't expecting something absolutely huge to happen - like a debut or whatever. But overall, it was a fun two hours, just like it usually is.

Yeah, and I definitely don't fault anybody that's been conditioned to expect things like that.  I admittedly was kind of expecting something myself.  For example a Cody heel turn has to happen and losing to OC would have set him off.  Plus we could have gotten an OC/Darby match at Full Gear which I would have been all over.  Instead we get Cody/Darby again and the only reasonable outcome is for Darby to finally win the title.  Now there is a chance this can happen in two weeks with the rematch coming up so we'll see how it goes.

But I will say that while the tournament might have an obvious outcome look at some of these matchups.  Lucha Bros against each other with the winner facing Kenny?  Fuck yeah, man.  And I have a good feeling about Jungle Boy's showing in this tournament too.  So it'll be entertaining as hell leading up to the PPV.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, I definitely expected a Cody heel turn. I don't count that under something "huge" happening, though. I guess it could be considered that, now that I think about it, but Cody turning heel on the guy that's always had his number in Darby Allin makes more sense than Orange Cassidy. But now I feel like every time it doesn't happen, I'm going to be saying it'll happen next week, or the next, etc etc. But you can't tell me that Cody wasn't acting like a straight up heel in that match last night, because he was. It's the same thing with Kenny Omega and Marko Stunt - yeah, Marko might be annoying or whatever, and people might hate him and his act, but Marko is a through and through babyface on AEW TV, and Omega bullying him leads credence to the idea of him going bad as well.

The tournament is exciting, I'm hoping they give the right amount of time to the appropriate matches. My only complaint is this - if Wardlow squashes Jungle Boy to look strong for a Hangman match, then why couldn't Wardlow squash fucking Joey Janela, and give us Omega/Jungle Boy instead? I don't mind Janela, but a straight up wrestling match between those two is the thing I'm least excited to see. I'm not TOO thrilled with the idea of Colt Cabana being in the tournament, but it's whatever, I don't see Colt making the semi-finals regardless of who he would have faced (unless it was Joey Janela).

I think the inclusion of Janela in a WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT is one of the more baffling things they've done in recent memory. And I actually like Joey Janela!

• Like 1

It's been a whole year! I couldn't be more thankful for it. I complain at times (and will below) but the truth is without AEW I may have been out on wrestling entirely. It's been a lot of fun to watch and discuss with you all.

Some good wrestling this week but none of the matches really transcended like I'd hoped. It's hard to be bummed for Archer when the alternative is Eddie Kingston. The tournament should be dope too, the result seems guessable but you never know with these folks, they might do something wacky like give it to Penta.

Not a fan of the draw, I thought the match was disjointed and had some really silly moments in it. To be fair, I'm not really a fan of Cody's TNT title run in general, it's had highlights but it's been frustrating more than anything else. He's back to blonde at least, it was harder to cheer for him when looked like he should be playing stand up bass with flames painted on it.

Britt Baker segment was gold, Jerry. Big Swole less so, she seems to be a second off on most things and Shida, as good as she is, can't carry anyone just yet. I read an interview with Baker who said that if fans want more women on Dynamite they need to stay tuned in during women's matches because they go off ratings. Putting out a match like this isn't the answer and it won't be so long as they plow ahead with a series of essentially cold or one-week build matches that aren't equal to the men's matches because they just don't have the female talent for it. It's been a year of Dynamite and the women's division is still sorely lacking. We need a reason to be invested in these title defenses, otherwise it doesn't matter who has the title, it's just there so they can have a women's match on the show. They're working on it, I know because they tell me on commentary, but I've yet to see it.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Janela in the tourney is a head scratcher.  He’s been mostly a tag guy, and all of his Dynamite singles matches for a while now have been him getting squashed.  I guess this match will let Kenny brag about beating “just a tag guy” like Hangman, but that’s about it.

I feel like it would’ve made more sense to put Scorpio in that spot.  But I guess he’s caught up in one of Spears’ pop-up feuds for the moment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

I guess this match will let Kenny brag about beating “just a tag guy” like Hangman, but that’s about it.

Shit, I didn't even think about that. I'm sure there are better options on the roster to fill that spot, like you mentioned, but if that's the story... I'm okay with it. I think if Scorpio was in the Janela spot, then it'd be a competitive match, which probably goes against the story they want to tell like you mentioned. We all want Omega/Jungle Boy, but giving him some shine would ruin that "he's a tag guy, I'm an elite singles performer, watch me destroy this dude in minutes" bullet point that they might be aiming for.

13 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I *hate* the time remaining announcements since it only seems to happen when there's a draw coming. Completely took me out of the finishing stretch to Cody/Orange which was otherwise an excellent match. But once they hit 15 minutes and heard that announcement, it was extremely obvious that they were going to the limit. Logical way to protect both guys in a match where neither should lose but would've had a lot more drama without the announcements and countdown, then of course they announce a rematch anyways.

I hear ya, I'm not a fan of the ring announcer announcing time remaining over the house mic either. But to be fair they do it for every title match. Opening tag title match had them calling out every 10 minutes too. Generally I think they've done it for all title matches since the beginning tho. It's just not every title match hits 10mins. I also believe TNT Title matches are only 20 min time limits. So its more frequent in those matches. I think every 5 minutes they announce time gone by.

It's 2020 tho and ya gotta think there's maybe a more efficient way to do it. All the national TV companies have big screens. Why can't they do a 10 minutes gone by graphic on the big screen instead? The fans live would surely see it, the production truck could cue up a quick shot of it. The announcers could then acknowledge it. The guys in the ring can just get the time ques from the ref instead of waiting on the ring announcer. It's one of those territory hold overs that is ripe for an update.

• Thanks 1

In my stream of consciousness rambling I forgot to mention the weirdness of Cash Wheeler's back tattoo.  It's some kind of really ornate clock or something on his upper back near one shoulder.  The problem is, the tattoo just ends instead of being finished and, because it's a circle, it's really obvious.  It's like the guy tattooing him misjudged the size of it and hit the edge of his back and just stopped.  He looks like a PS2 CAW, where you'd move a tattoo to the edge of a body part and it would just end in much the same way.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

Who even knows what Jake is doing anymore.

Re: Archer, what’s funny is I’m probably as big of an Archer fan as there is on this board, and I have zero problem with how AEW is using him.  Archer is awesome....and also approaching 44 years old and had a significant  back injury just a couple years ago.  This is not a guy you’re building for a big run.  This is a guy you’re trying to extract as many high-quality jobs from as you can before his body taps out and he loses his value.  And, to that end, he’s done a great job of making 2 of the company's top guys look great while not hurting anybody else of value on the way up.

I’m actually really interested to see where he goes now that, presumably, he’s out of the title pictures for a while.

• Like 5