DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 37: Ortega vs. Korean Zombie (10/17/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

With some guilt, I admit that there's nothing I love more than a chasedown body shot KO. I just revel in the cruelty of them.

Seriously, that was like someone being gutshot in a Western and staggering away in agony.

• Like 2

I shoulda placed that bet on Ortega like I wanted to. I had a feeling people forgot about him being a killer just because he lost to the best featherweight in the world. And Zombie is too inconsistent. 

• Like 1

I thought it was gonna be a tough fight for both guys but I thought maybe CSJ would either seal the deal in the fifth round or at least have strong final stretch. We saw a glimpse of what Ortega could do when he fought Edgar, but I think people believed Edgar was no longer a top fighter. In addition, Ortega wasn't really competitive against Holloway.

I feel this fight is a reflection of what he did against Edgar along with the improvements he has made in his time away. Whereas like I mentioned earlier, Thomas Almeida looked the same as he always has almost three years removed from the sport. That wasn't a good thing because his flaws were still apparent. Ortega, on the other hand, not only didn't start slow but controlled the tempo the entire fight. In boxing, folks call it "taking the play away". As the fight went deeper and deeper, there was nothing CSJ could do to change the tide. So by round five, the round in which I thought CSJ would nail down the fight and prove to be the better man, Ortega is piledriving his face in with a jab and a straight left. He's going to the body with a jab downstairs. CSJ landed a few good punches towards the end of the fight, but those are blows you have to land early on to wear a guy down. Ortega is super tough so they basically had no effect on him. 

This was really a career defining performance by Brian Ortega.

• Like 1

Early on, CSJ was firing back with heavy punches that were landing and looked to be doing damage but that pretty much stopped with the counter left hook that dropped Zombie and then it was pretty much over after the spinning back TRICEPS MEAT until the very end of the fight. I thought Ortega's standing striking was better than he was usually given credit for prior to the Holloway fight, but here he looked super smooth and less rigid, controlled the distance well and yeah the jab was the big one. Disappointing for Jung.

Loved the co-main 100%. ?

• Like 1

• jaedmc unpinned this topic