DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XII - 10/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I really liked Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso even though it needed shortening and wasn't as good as the Clash of Champions 2020 match. I can see the Hell in a Cell I Quit match splitting opinions. Thought Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton was good but a little too long. Again, Bayley vs. Sasha Banks should have headlined.

I liked Roman vs Jey last month a lot. I liked the end segment with the elders blessing Roman as the chief and really like the overall direction of his character and this story. But the match was basically the same exact thing as last month. Someone in an interview said last month was planned as a one and done, and it shows. Why just run the exact same match with basically the exact same ending? I liked the end result of the story. But you can tell WWE is already struggling with a long form story when story beats 2 & 3 are exactly the same thing. Hopefully they have something new for the character trajectory after tonight.

Liked the Women's Hell In A Cell and thought it should have been the main event. Bayley vs Sasha always delivers.

The rest of the show was short and boring as fuck. Miz & Morrison have Bossman heat with me. Otis has Bossman heat with me. Retribution have Bossman heat with me. Orton & McIntyre feuding have Bossman heat with me. Basically the whole show was a microcosm of why I'm so checked out on WWE these days.

If I have the book, I'm sending Miz to NXT to cash in MITB on Finn Balor who is too injured to compete and forfits the title. The heat would be off the charts in the vein of Foley's anti hardcore run in ECW. Then when Finn is cleared he squashes the shit out of Miz and takes the belt back. Otherwise, we're just in a time warp to 2010 waiting for Miz to cash in on Randy god damn Orton again. NO THANKS.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 2

I liked the Jey vs Reigns match but it was kinda hindered by the I Quit stipulation until the finish. Using Submissions till your opponent passes out only to wait for the ref to ask if he quits took me out a few times.

Sasha risks her life almost every big match she has, tonight was up a few notches as expected. She took a beating, I was actually rooting for Bayley towards the end. Like everyone is saying,  I wonder if Sasha is going to stay champ past one PPV cycle 

I expected Orton to Win, but I wasn't ready for Drew to drop it tonight. That was a sick fall for a guy of his size even though I hate that go to spot for Cell matches. I really got into it when they got to the top of the Cell.

Sasha/Bayley was great. Roman/Jey was pretty good. 

My mind kind of wandered during Drew/Randy. What if Retribution came out to help Randy? What if Miz cashed in?? And then Randy won pretty clean with the RKO lol. Meh.

Edit: did anyone else notice that they made notches on the cell to stand on, on the announcer side? Lol

Edited by Infinit

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If I have the book, I'm sending Miz to NXT to cash in MITB on Finn Balor who is too injured to compete and forfits the title. The heat would be off the charts in the vein of Foley's anti hardcore run in ECW. Then when Finn is cleared he squashes the shit out of Miz and takes the belt back. 

Now that’s a fucking fantastic idea. The promos with Miz ripping Indy darlings to shreds, and then this somehow needs to lead to him being chopped by WALTER in front of a live crowd

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

Remember how great The Miz and Maryse pairing was?   Miz & Morrison right now is the opposite of that.  Channel changing stuff.  I'd say they are the worst act on WWE programming outside of Retribution.  Yes, there are worse wrestlers but not anyone who eats up this much time. 

• Like 1

Didn't pay much attention to Jeff/Elias or Slapjack/Lashley.

Miz/Otis was perfectly fine though the finish left something to be desired. Don't see what the point of turning Tucker here was, especially with Otis stuck on Smackdown. If some kind of trade doesn't go through then none of this will make any sense.

Drew/Orton was a match. It had no business being the main event considering what we got from Bayley/Sasha & Roman/Jey.

Thought Roman/Jey was a damn good match. Jey brought a ton more fight to the table than their previous and Roman was more brutal than the Clash match. There were certainly bits of last month in this, but I actually thought this was a stronger match. Loved the storytelling and the post match celebration with the Wild Samoans anointing Roman.

Bayley/Sasha brought plenty of hate and wonderful action. Loved how often Sasha turned Bayley's use of weapons against her in the early parts of the match. This was probably MOTN for me and easily on par with their Takeover matches. 

This was a two match show as expected with the wrong HIAC match main evented.

48 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Remember how great The Miz and Maryse pairing was? Miz & Morrison right now is the opposite of that

Uhm, no? I legit can't remember if they were good or not. I remember them sucking during that Nikki/Cena feud. Miz and Morrison are basically doing the same shit they when they teamed with each other years ago on ECW. It was intentionally bad comedy then. It mostly still that now. I think they have their moments, but considering where both have risen to since then it just comes across even worse that they are trying to do that sit again now a decade later.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If I have the book, I'm sending Miz to NXT to cash in MITB on Finn Balor who is too injured to compete and forfits the title. The heat would be off the charts in the vein of Foley's anti hardcore run in ECW. Then when Finn is cleared he squashes the shit out of Miz and takes the belt back.

This sounds great until you remember they have practically no real audience right now and likely won't until the second or third quarter of 2021.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

The only real problem with the tribal war... It was to long.  And if it was gonna be as long as it was.. Jey needed more hope spots.

This has to lead up to Rock-Roman at some point. It absolutely has to. The way all of the family has been involved, I'm guessing if fans are back by Royal Rumble the rock makes an appearance for the family.  There is no way possible with this storyline that it won't lead to Rock-Roman more than likely at Mania. 

20 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

This has to lead up to Rock-Roman at some point. It absolutely has to. The way all of the family has been involved, I'm guessing if fans are back by Royal Rumble the rock makes an appearance for the family.  There is no way possible with this storyline that it won't lead to Rock-Roman more than likely at Mania. 

This is what I was thinking too..probably most of us whenever they say "HEAD OF THE TABLE"  because the obvious thought is what about The Rock?  

I would absolutely LOVE to see The Rock vs. Roman Reigns at some point 

Let me get this straight. You have Otis, maybe one of the most likeable babyfaces in the company, lose the MitB on the same night that Roman retains and Orton wins the championship. Not only that, but you have Tucker turn on Otis when they're on separate brands and Miz is going to cash in on...? Orton is pretty much penciled in for Edge I'm guesssing and Miz sure as shit isn't beating Roman.

I mean, at least with Randy winning and if Otis still had the briefcase you could have him beat Orton and let him have a short run with the title.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

Roman/Jey isn't about moves or technique. It's about the family saga built around simple brutality. 

Not having live fans helps the feud because they're great trash talkers. It ramps up the personal dilemma that much more. Their cursing fit the moment.

Were some of the beats repeated from their CoC match? Yeah, but they amped up the viciousness. Using the strap was a great touch, something different without stepping on the next two HIAC matches that were more weapon-heavy. They used it perfectly, with whipping and submissions.

It's the best story being told in WWE. If wrestling is a soap opera on testosterone, Roman-Jey hit on all cylinders. Watching Roman descend into becoming a sociopath who has even a veteran in Heyman shaking in fear is incredible. Having the Usos quit and throw in the towel for each other was tremendous. Bringing Afa and Sika in to crown Roman was the icing on the cake. For me, it all clicked.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hate to say it but I think the plans for Otis were "HAR HAR wouldn't it be funny if he won it... fat guy lol"   and there wasn't anything mapped out for him beyond that. 

I agree with this, but its still rather dumb as its not like he needed to win his eventual title match. Otis vs. Orton or Roman could have been a good lesser ppv main event.

• Like 1

Roman Reigns is the best thing in wrestling right now.

I fucking HATE that this is happening in a company as shitty as WWE.

I hope that between he, Owens, Sami and Bryan they can fight for a few of the lower card guys to not get fucked over by refusing to work/objecting to things along the way.

In terms of story do the Uso's bend the knee? Can Rikishi still move well enough to take a beating on SDL or Survivor Series/TLC? Im sure Rock would love to put Roman over at Mania but can he even get cleared for a match at this point?

I came for Sasha/Bayley and I wasn’t disappointed. Just a great match with a good definitive conclusion. I’m always afraid for Sasha in these big matches and she nearly died for our enjoyment a couple of times. Lol Hope she gets a decent reign.

I’m always pushing for more women at the PPVs but I’m glad that this was the only women’s match to avoid the usual comparisons. I don’t think anything could have followed this which is why it should have been the main.