DVDVR Message Board

THE 2020 WWE DRAFT - 10/9 & 10/12/2020

Kang

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They do this every year lol. New Day will drop them on Raw to a team that gets drafted to Smackdown immediately afterwards. (Or directly before the match).

or Street Profits are going to SD to be with Bianca Bel Air?

• Like 1

I really hope that The New Day split happens without any turn at all. That's obviously not how wrestling ever works -- what's the point of alliances if they don't lead to a feud? But The New Day was a just such a special group. They went from having a DOA gimmick to becoming the greatest stable in WWE history . They set the record for longest tag reign, stole the WrestleMania bill with KofiMania, held all of the straps briefly, etc.

All three of them also became really incredible workers. Kofi was always decent-to-good but ended up as a WM main event act. Big E. found out how to merge his really unique charisma and sense of humor with being a powerhouse. And Xavier went from being truly awful (he was so bad in NXT) to the best Ricky Morton since... well, maybe Ricky Morton. They could fill any place on a show -- an entertaining comedy act, having really good mid-card feuds that eat up 20 minutes of TV time a week, main eventing PPVs. Not a lot of people have that type of versatility.

I was at the Philly Raw where they set the record for longest tag team reign. It really just struck me how much they connected with kids. It felt like I was at a WWF Challenge taping in 1989, and I mean that as a compliment. 

Hall of Fame act by any and all measures. In a fair world, they'd have their send-off in front of a live crowd and they'd get an extended standing ovation to end the show. 

• Like 3

Given how much New Day developed ousidet the diegesis of the in continuity WWE world, I would hope they could put their foot down if they tried to have them feud with each other. 

Given the recent company bullshit involving social media, it might be worth it for them to quit the company and go on their own, rather than break up the act and then still have them do a podcast together. 

I thought the first night of the draft was dumb. I don't get why people all ready on their respective shows were drafted to stay on their shows. I know I'm giving it way more thought than they did, but all the possibility's to shift people around and so far they haven't. Like Ricochet should go to Smackdown. But he's stuck in the void that is RAW. 

The stupid Seth/Mysterio's feud is going to continue. I'm guessing poor Buddy Murphy gets drafted to Smackdown on Monday.

As for the show, it ws all right. Bayley/Sasha is setting up for a great HIAC. 

Did Roman/Jey need to be in HIAC and a I Quit Match? I Quit on it's own is fine because it plays into the whole Jey had to call him Chief. Being in the HIAC doesn't really add onto that.

But yeah this whole draft is a mess.  I know Im gonna be annoyed on Monday night as well. 

Is there anything to that fact that Bianca and Ricochet is on the same brand as Heyman, I know he doesn't have the book but I think that's cool. If the Uso's go to Raw that'll be a good was to move on from the Reigns feud if Big Es gonna be his mania feud. I could watch Jey and Roman feud for months and months but If Big E is the Mania opponent then this is the best way to move away after HitC.  I'm glad AJ is back on RAW, I hope he gets positioned pasted upper mid card again. He would've been a good feud for Galloway earlier in his run. If Galloway retains I hope they get paired. I'd also like to he AJ vs Keith Lee too. I've said before the booking of Drew's title reign is uninspiring much like Kofi's wss so you can't really blame them if they don't come off as great champions. I just hope they can shape Raw to have a better looking main event scene.

Its not surprising to see Sasha on SD because in my mind I've associated her with SD since the last draft. With Bruce booking Raw I expect SD being more the workrate brand than RAW but who knows because if they keep Asuka and Shayna it will balance things out enough in that regard.  With RAW getting more pick Monday it'll be interesting to see how things go especially since I expect there to be alot of internal changes as far as who they decide to Draft on Monday.

I think its more interesting that they don't draft any NXT talent and just reserve that brand for just call ups which usually happens around the major PPVs anyway. Just focus on main roster talent especially since most of them don't get featured prominently anyways

12 hours ago, Cleavy said:

or Street Profits are going to SD to be with Bianca Bel Air?

That's totally a possibility, them moving with her. But not with the tag belts. They're just gonna have the red belts and be Raw Tag Team Champions on Smackdown? What kinda sense does that make?

90% chance New Day lose them to a team being drafted to Smackdown.

10% chance they unify the tag titles and make them just like the Women's Tag Team Titles (All brands). But you'd really have to merge with NXT's tag titles too to make that work. Honestly NXT UK's tag titles too in a perfect world. One set of Men's Tag Titles for all brands, one set of Women's Tag Titles for all brands.

0% chance they just swap belts and keep them mis-matched.

Another round of WWE Draft picks has been revealed.

WWE announced during this week's episode of Talking Smack that Humberto Carrillo, Drew Gulak, and Tucker have been drafted to Raw. It was also announced that Murphy and Kalisto have been drafted to SmackDown.

Those five names were among the remaining wrestlers left in the night one draft pool after last night's SmackDown. Mickie James, the rest of The Lucha House Party (Gran Metalik & Lince Dorado), and Shorty G were also in the night one draft pool but weren't selected. WWE has noted that any undrafted wrestlers "will immediately be declared free agents and able to sign with the brand of their choosing."

Tucker being drafted by Raw means that Heavy Machinery have been broken up in the draft. Otis was selected by SmackDown last night.

Murphy is joining Seth Rollins and Rey & Dominik Mysterio on SmackDown.

26 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's totally a possibility, them moving with her. But not with the tag belts. They're just gonna have the red belts and be Raw Tag Team Champions on Smackdown? What kinda sense does that make?

They don't always have people drop the belts immediately. They can drop the titles on the next PPV or on have the defend it on a Raw or SD beforehand. Weren't that just facing a SD team last month anyway.

It doesn't have to be this Monday. 

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

They don't always have people drop the belts immediately. They can drop the titles on the next PPV or on have the defend it on a Raw or SD beforehand. Weren't that just facing a SD team last month anyway.

It doesn't have to be this Monday. 

Yes, this is entirely possible too.

But I think they're saving that story for Bailey. She gets drafted to Raw on Monday, and keeps the SD Women's Title until she drops it to Sasha at Hell in A Cell.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yes, this is entirely possible too.

But I think they're saving that story for Bailey. She gets drafted to Raw on Monday, and keeps the SD Women's Title until she drops it to Sasha at Hell in A Cell.

I'm ok with that as well, Sasha and Bayley were a great team and good rivals but its time to keep them apart just like I was happy when they separated Charlotte and Sasha because WWE can't help but overdo matches. BTW I miss Charlotte either brand can use her now.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Retaliation has reverted back to being Mercedes Martinez again and WWE moved her back to NXT and she is no longer part of Retribution.

While its clear that Mercedes is no longer part of the group (and they are going with only one female member if you go by Mustafa Ali's tweets) what is weird is that Mia Yim is still under NXT too and Ali is still under Smackdown.

Basically - using the WWE website rosters was a weird way for news sites to figure it out (though they ended up being right)

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Retaliation has reverted back to being Mercedes Martinez again and WWE moved her back to NXT and she is no longer part of Retribution.

It's going to be very amusing when no one in Retribution is drafted and they all are "free agents". 

Who exactly is doing the drafting for RAW and Smackdown anyway? Last year they had those war rooms with the people from FOX and USA. This year Stephanie is just reading names.