DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I’ve enjoyed Cody in AEW. I didn’t see much of his WWE work and very little of his NJPW matches. His BTE promos is what got me interested in him and his buddies. But looking at his AEW/ All In run (or at least what I can remember):

- Emotional win of the NWA title is what I look back fondly of from that event.

- MOTYC with Dustin, great promos in the Road To series on both sides. Leading to a tag match after

- Jericho feud that had several great tv segments. Maybe ended too soon, or it can be picked back up eventually? Regardless, some of my favorite AEW moments came around this time. 

- Shawn Spears feud which made me initially interested in Spears’ character. Added Tully. Match was eh and Spears has meh’ed mostly since.

- Dumb tattoo. 

- MJF feud. I thought they brought it up too soon but I was wrong and MJF is much better off now. Also Cody beats Wardlow in a cagematch, but Wardlow looked great. 

- Jake the Snake promo was great. Lance Archer feud was meh. Archer beat up small people in a cool way. He lost to Cody. I thought that would hurt Lance. But now he’s in a world title fight. Say what you will.

- TNT Title run was like a Cody variety show. Every ep was a new showcase. Cody went over but other talent had spotlight on them. Felt like tryout matches for a roster spot or a see what they can do. Eddie Kingston and Starks were big standouts. War Horse got a shot. 

- Brodie Lee murdered him

- He rose from the dead to promote a show.

- Dog collar match. I liked it but sounds like mixed reviews. He’s TNT Champ again. 

- Cody Variety Show will continue with Orange Cassidy next.

His over the top showmanship as a face in AEW reminds me of my very dramatic high school theater friends. Not for everyone but their friends super loved them. 

What I really enjoy about Dynamite is that when I feel it is at their best is when they have a little bit of everything. You’ll have Cody’s big match feel and emotional promos, tag team highlights of athletic hyping, something funny from OC, someone using a weapon somewhere, Jericho and the Inner Circle bein fun, a legend being seen somewhere approving of AEW, and a charismatic promo. A lot they can improve on but right now it’s my favorite tv show. 

——

I enjoyed Dr Luther in the main event. It was something different and cool for a Jericho event. For a one time thing I had fun with it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Speaking of heel Cody in New Japan, I think I was in the minority around here about loving Ibushi/Cody from WrestleKingdom 12. I think maybe @Brian Fowleragreed with me, but I might be confusing that for me and him arguing about it. I'm not entirely sure ?

That match was fucking great

• Like 2

Handsome Battle was Cody's best match outside of WWE up until the insta-classic with Dustin. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Cody's not good. He's a better promo than Triple H probably ever was. He's inconsistent in the ring but I do enjoy that he maintained some of the better parts of WWE's style (and some of the bad too, but mostly good) since departing and his style is a nice change of pace from the go-go-go AEW can be guilty of featuring too often. He has done some masterful stuff in year one of the company in building up PPV matches. Dustin, Jericho, and MJF were all different but all amazingly well built up marquee matches that sold a lot of PPVs. The Jericho and particularly the MJF matches did not live up to the hype imo. But the tattoo, the disappointing weak shit that was the MJF match, and his booking ever since then has not been good and he's a full on heel in my books kayfabe and otherwise. That's what I've found frustrating about this past 6-7 months. Cody can be great. We've seen it. He's had some good stuff during this period, don't get me wrong, but his direction has sucked and while some have profited from working with him, many have not. He gave us the Kingston match, which is one of AEW's better matches of the pandemic era. But he's also given us a whole bunch of vanity bullshit that I have no time for. This bullshit of dropping the title in that fashion, filming a really stupid looking TV show, and returning as the triumphant vindicator absolutely sucked, particularly with the OC situation. If OC beats him for the title (doubtful), why not just have OC beat Brodie two weeks ago? Cody can come back and be all upset that his moment was taken from him and be envious of OC really giving his character some ammunition for a proper heel turn. If Cody beats OC then OC went from a wishy washy Jericho feud win (which is still huge!) to losing two consecutive title matches. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

If we're talking AEW Cody highlights:

Cody being whipped bloody is my personal all time Cody highlight from his AEW run. That death shot from Wardlow ? 

Brodie killing him and laying him out, maybe 2nd place ? of my personal Cody highlights 

Edited by Hayabusa

I think Brodie needed to hang on to the title a while longer but I remember when he squashed Cody I believe I compared it to Clubber Lang taking out Rocky in their first encounter.  

Rocky went away for a bit to find himself and then he came back and took the belt off Lang.  I expected this to play out the same way.  I think they rushed it but I always expected Cody to regain the TNT Championship.  

Cody should have been out for two more weeks he should be making his return on Wednesday at the anniversary show, Brodie should cut that dog collar promo on that show then we Codys acceptance promo the week after and the Dog Collar at Full Gear with Cody winnign the belt in a blood bath and doing the victory speech after the match. I'm repeating myself but the whole angle felt really rushed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  I don't want to relitigate Triple H's 2003 run with the title but Kane, RVD, Scott Steiner and Booker T weren't exactly "rising stars" in this business that were being held down. That point was always overblown. 

Yes and no I think RVD and Book suffered greatly from the way the lost to Trips and as far as Scott Steiner he may have actually been better off on Smackdown with the kike sof the SmackDown 6 who would have been able to work with Steiner's limitations, not that Triple H couldn't but more so he wouldn't. even if they were short runs i think if RVD and Booker T had gotten title wins over Triple H there stock values would have risen for the WWE long term the fans would have seen them as credible because they had both done the impossible and had beaten Triple H and luxary only afforded to his buddies otherwise.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

Yes and no I think RVD and Book suffered greatly from the way the lost to Trips and as far as Scott Steiner he may have actually been better off on Smackdown with the kike sof the SmackDown 6 who would have been able to work with Steiner's limitations, not that Triple H couldn't but more so he wouldn't. even if they were short runs i think if RVD and Booker T had gotten title wins over Triple H there stock values would have risen for the WWE long term the fans would have seen them as credible because they had both done the impossible and had beaten Triple H and luxary only afforded to his buddies otherwise.

I think Booker T has the best case out of all of them because I think a win there would have done him a lot of good and I hated the racist bullshit leading up to it. However,  I don't believe RVD (or fans) has an argument that Triple H held him back.

RVD was ON FIRE when he arrived in 2001. I've mentioned this before. He was red hot and easily the most over guy in the company outside of Rock and Austin. They could have put him over right then and there when he was at his peak during the Austin feud and they didn't pull the trigger. So for me I don't think you can put the blame on Triple H since by that point RVD's popularity had waned a bit, his was cooled off and Austin didn't put him over in 2001.   Then of course Cena ends up being the guy to put over RVD in a big way and RVD blew it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Booker T has the best case out of all of them because I think a win there would have done him a lot of good and I hated the racist bullshit leading up to it. However,  I don't believe RVD (or fans) has an argument that Triple H held him back.

RVD was ON FIRE when he arrived in 2001. I've mentioned this before. He was red hot and easily the most over guy in the company outside of Rock and Austin. They could have put him over right then and there when he was at his peak during the Austin feud and they didn't pull the trigger. So for me I don't think you can put the blame on Triple H since by that point RVD's popularity had waned a bit, his was cooled off and Austin didn't put him over in 2001.   Then of course Cena ends up being the guy to put over RVD in a big way and RVD blew it. 

RVD had everything going for him in late spring of 06 then he fucked it all up in less than a month. In late 01 RVD was the hottest dude on the show he was the guy Austin shoud have put him over. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I watched the Unforgiven match against Trips for the World Title like 7 years ago and that crowd was very dejected they after the sledgehammer spot they wanted to see RVD win the belt. Maybe thats what made RVD beating Cena so special that he didn't beat Austin and Triple H back in the day.

Booker T should have definitely have gone over at Mania. They built Booker T up so much he had gone to Prison gotten out worked his ass off to better his life and here he is some 15 years later and he's wrestling for the World Title at the grandest stage of them all then with Trips' "people like you people like me" promo Book should have went over clean in the middle of the ring. Triple H could have won it back 28 days later at Backlash but Triple H put Goldberg over later in the year so I guess had said he was only putting over one WCW guy not named Nash in a calendar year and they picked Goldberg.

• Like 1

Rock goes to Hollywood, comes back intermittently to do a two week angle with someone because he likes them... for example, The Hurricane. So Hurricane gets this big spotlight from going 40/60 with Dwayne (which is as close to 50/50 as Vince will allow) and he's more over than he's ever been in his life. Then Rock goes back to Hollywood, and the next week on Raw Triple H pins him clean in two minutes. And that happened with a few guys.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, AxB said:

Rock goes to Hollywood, comes back intermittently to do a two week angle with someone because he likes them... for example, The Hurricane. So Hurricane gets this big spotlight from going 40/60 with Dwayne (which is as close to 50/50 as Vince will allow) and he's more over than he's ever been in his life. Then Rock goes back to Hollywood, and the next week on Raw Triple H pins him clean in two minutes. And that happened with a few guys.

Triple H lost to Shelton Benjamin like three weeks in a row.  I remember he came within an inch of losing to TAKA and Maven..  there were plenty of instances were Triple H lost a match to a guy or looked foolish against a lower card wrestler.  

The Rock didn't exactly get KO'd by The Hurricane.  It was one of those "Oh wow, aww man I messed around and this kid beat me HAHA kid"  matches where the postmatch and commentary beat you over the head that it was a fluke and the victor is still a nobody.  

That's right out of the Charlotte Flair and John Cena playbook.  Meaningless. 

To get this back on track with AEW, I did not mind that Cody took some time away to film that show (and strongly put over an act before going away), and I think everyone taking some time off each year will only keep the product fresh. With two hours a week and four PPV's per year, AEW is already better off with not overexposing acts compared to their competition (and does a decent job of shifting talent save for the top of the card). Still, one of the many benefits of a potential relationship with New Japan could be some talent swapping (as while NJPW is generally a really good in-ring product, there is definitely some staleness with their factions and positions on the card almost set in stone for years. Also, at the risk of turning this into the New Japan thread, Evil is not the guy I would have given his current monster push to). Not to mention the Naito/Okada/Tana tier, I'd love for Ibushi, Jay White, Sanada, Shingo, and Juice among others to come over to AEW for awhile, and maybe even have dual contracts.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:56 AM, kenyabaxterZXW said:

2x6rs1ydmrr51.jpg

The correct way to watch a monitor

This is the loudest I’ve laughed watching a wrestling show in ages. My partner couldn’t understand why I found it so funny.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

If we're talking AEW Cody highlights:

Cody being whipped bloody is my personal all time Cody highlight from his AEW run. That death shot from Wardlow ? 

Brodie killing him and laying him out, maybe 2nd place ? of my personal Cody highlights 

I would go so far as to say Cody wrapping the MJF scarf around his fist to punch out a window to get to the Inner Circle is the highlight of AEW television as a whole. To me, it was such a radical departure from WWE standards and teased a move towards something unique and compelling. It really didn't pan out that way as being this turning point in the promotion, but if I was putting together the AEW highlight reel, it would be 1A.

I don't understand why they would go to Cassidy right after strapping Cody again. Why would you not just go from Brody to Cassidy with Cody costing Lee to continue that feud without the title? As it stands, they blew off an angle to get to a cold match with two face participants. I would argue booking at least 2 of your top 4 faces (with Moxley and Darby being the other two) on television seems so odd.

It won't happen, but if Cody turned heel by cheating to beat OC and every opponent after that, and cutting the exact same promo as last week to louder and louder boos, I'd be into it. 

On the other hand, an OC win followed by a triple threat with Brodie and OC on PPV works too.

A clean Cody win with no turn and... Let's say I'd def be willing to revisit the HHH conversation with you guys. 

• Like 3

If they move towards Cody turning heel and Jericho eventually becoming a face (after MJF takes over or whatever) then the alignment scale is still somewhat balanced - eventually, anyway.

Doing the Cody turn 1) on Orange Cassidy and 2) at the 1 year anniversary show makes a ton of sense to me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Casey said:

If they move towards Cody turning heel and Jericho eventually becoming a face (after MJF takes over or whatever) then the alignment scale is still somewhat balanced - eventually, anyway.

Doing the Cody turn 1) on Orange Cassidy and 2) at the 1 year anniversary show makes a ton of sense to me.

This works. The Jericho heel-act doesn't work well in the mid-card. Good Face-story to explore with Jericho being supplanted by the younger MJF. A lot of Jericho in MJF to be honest (far more than The Rock, which is a comparison I think has been made before - maybe by Meltzer?).