DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Four corners sucks. The only time it's cool is in PR where you know everyone is gonna bleed to death. 

Every time I see Greg Valentine all I can think of is the picture of him shirtless with Beefcake and a loaded bowl sitting between them. 

EDIT: Oh god Beefcake's nipple rings. I did not need to see that today. 

Spoiler

Greg+Valentine+and+Brutus+Beefcake+now+o

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

We haven’t seen brackets yet, but while the #1 contender tourney is building to Kenny/Hangman, I think the one tournament match I desperately want to see is Kenny vs. Jungle Boy.

If you want to really solidify a Kenny heel turn, Kenny being an absolute piece of shit to Jungle Boy would probably help more than beating Hangman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

The TNT title situation is pretty frustrating at the moment. If Cody loses to OC next week, I'm not sure who is supposed to get over in this three way mess since it's a wash.

Cassidy wins next week, then a triple threat on the PPV to resolve the quagmire?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Four corners sucks. The only time it's cool is in PR where you know everyone is gonna bleed to death. 

Yes!  "Touch all four corners" more often than not devolves into some too cute bullshit where the babyface secretly touches all corners behind the heel and it's just fucking dumb.

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cody vs OC in a strap match obviously

Three way dog collar match where the guys are linked to a big metal ring in the middle.

I think the big issue is that Cody is allowed to do his own booking and the problem is Cody actually doesn't know shit about wrestling.  I kind of alluded to it earlier but it really feels more to me as time goes on that Cody knows what old school wrestling looks like but doesn't understand the logic of it.  Like I feel that he knew a dog collar match was something wrestlers did back in the day in a feud, but didn't understand why this type of match got booked. 

I mean come on.  Find any promoter or booker from the old days and run the "Cody wins belt, gets cocky, and gets demolished" scenario by them and ask what the next step in the program is.   If they say "babyface cuts a promo about hosting a game show, comes back completely unchanged except for some Nice and Easy #5 Black, HEEL demands a dog collar match, Cody regains the belt right away," I'll eat your hat.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I just can't get past his clothes.  Shit, the most bougie thing Dusty wore was a fur coat and even then, he just looked like a mechanic, landscaper, or factory worker who maybe hit the number or got a good tax return.  Only a heel should dress the way Cody dresses.  ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Surprised at the heat towards Cody's win. That's pretty classic old-school booking in every way. I have a hunch that the feud with Lee isn't over as they could come back and do another gimmick for the final blow off. 

You can go two ways with the Cassidy deal. He could simply just win a hard fought match or the story could be that he comes in over-confident and loses and THAT sets Cody down the way to the inevitable heel turn. 

• Like 3

If Cody loses and turns heel, it's an easy justification that he just got done having a war with Brodie Lee, and regardless of what he said about being a fighting champion, he should have never granted an attention-seeking jackass like Orange Cassidy a match in the first place. It's only after he gets upset by the goofball, that he'll insist he was nowhere near recovered from the dog collar match. He'll also point out that Cassidy was a nobody and a weasel that was very shrewd in picking his spot to ask for a title shot.  Classic Bret Hart bitter loser bullshit.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The two times the WWF did it, they did it with the four corners rule. 

Rock and Triple H had a strap match with pinfall rules at Fully Loaded 1999. 

Seems like this is one of those either or situations. 

Sometimes cage matches have escape only, or they also have pinfall/submission and/or escape added in as well.

Thought the Moxley promo was aces. That dude is so effortlessly cool. Like, everything about him.

And then there's Kenny Omega. I still have no idea why so many clamor for him to have a run with the AEW title. There's not a single thing about him that says "star" to any audience member who isn't extensively familiar with his Japan work. He's not a good promo. He comes off forced and aloof. I can't imagine him coming off well in outside interviews the way Mox does. 

I wonder if there's some network influence with the TNT title. I'm sure Cody is the wrestler that deals the most with their network reps. They may want that title on him as that show starts...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EVA said:

Re: their first match, I think a couple of key story points that you’re leaving out is that they were selling the idea Cody had both A) run himself ragged with the constant title defenses, and B) also gotten high on his own supply, thinking he was unbeatable.  He was mentally and physically primed to suffer an unexpected colossal defeat.

Now, he’s physically rejuvenated (JR even mentioned that he had added like 15 pounds of muscle or something like that) after taking over a month off and mentally refocused, which allows him to be more competitive against Brodie.

Anyway, I thought the match was pretty good!  Despite the triple juice, I would’ve liked it to be more focus d on violence than cute chain spots.  The package piledriver through the table from Cody was super random.

Ok, still exceptionally weak story-telling:

• He was overwhelmed in the first bout because he went hell-for-leather against a guy about 25 kg & 5 inches bigger than him. Hubris hurts. Adding more muscle and being even slower is not the way to overcome someone so colossally bigger (Esp. with narrative of Lee as the strongest big-man in the company). If anything it shows he learned nothing and thinks he can just out-gun anyone in his way.
  • The build for the second bout had foundations as sturdy as a sandcastle. No introspectiveness from Rhodes. No meaningful anxiety from his group at the permanent damage that could be weaked. No "PTSD" at having been utterly annihilated previously. Nope, just right back on the horse. Zero believability.

To clarify I have no real issue with Rhodes taking the title back (although in of itself its completely unnecessary). There should have been a long build however, and certainly not in this epitome-of-vanity gimmick match. It would be akin to Kurt Angle having a chain match with The Big Show or something and trying to out-brawn him.

Beyond all else however it just completely buries the Dark Order. I never liked the group, but after actually giving them a meaningful momentum before they've just swiped the rug clean out from under them. How utterly short-sighted. Lee's qualities -- his brawniness -- have been exposed against a man far smaller than him. What is his possible purpose or upside as a character now?

EDIT: As for the Rhodes / Triple H comparison further up page, to this point Rhodes is way worse. It took a number of years for Triple H to get to the really irksome booking point by which time he had a great backlogue of work sort-of-justifiying it behind him. Rhodes has kinda nailed it in year 1 with a pretty "meh" performance front-to-back outside some cool MJF work.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1