DVDVR Message Board

Raw is a Riott - 10/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Braun & Lee beating the crap out of each other was neat. Hopefully they deliver in a real match later on.

The 6-women tag was decent. Lana was put through a table by Nia again. I like that it happened with her trying to protect Nattie this time.

Riott Squad vs. Nia/Shayna was good. This is the best Riot Squad has looked in the ring and Nia/Shayna have made a decent team. I still have no idea what the end game is for the two as team.

Ali being revealed as Retribution's leader is something. I'm honestly not sure what to think. I kind of like him being involved in a big angle. At the same time its Retribution, and I would rather he not be saddled with this shit. On the other hand he makes them feel ever so slightly less shitty as the leader.

Took a while, but it was good to see Murphy finally turn on Seth.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Ali being revealed as Retribution's leader is something. I'm honestly not sure what to think. I kind of like him being involved in a big angle. At the same time its Retribution, and I would rather he not be saddled with this shit. On the other hand he makes them feel ever so slightly less shitty as the leader.

Two questions regarding this -

1) Does this make Retribution de facto faces now?
2) Byron saying Ali was the leader all along is verrrry problematic. Like, where is he getting this from exactly? Joe was correct in saying he had joined, then (when it was apparent) asked how long he had been involved. Byron going all-out and announcing the he had been leading from the beginning was reckless.

Edited by The Green Meanie

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I definitely caught MVP calling T-Bar "T-Bag" tonight. *chef's kiss* 

Lee and Strowman steamrolling each other was pretty fucking cool. 

Well, someone WAS going to use that eventually, so good on MVP to get ahead of the pack, because that was a low hanging fruit, right there!

12 hours ago, Casey said:

They really had a Muslim wrestler join a faction that's based on "Antifa".

Okay, I'll bite. What do Muslims have to do with Antifa one way or the other?

• Like 1

Bad faith arguments by American conservatives/reactionary right wing, which makes terrorists muslims and/or members of the highly organized organization which definitely exists Antifa. 

Vince isn't exactly known for his or his family's liberal views on things.   

So, this guy who's made a BIG deal about his career not having anything to do with his religious beliefs and the stereotypes (WRONGLY) attributed thereto, is now the leader of a faction of anti-authoritarian, anarchistic heels.  

It's not exactly horrible yet, but you know if past performance is any kind of indicator...  this is not going to go well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

2) Byron saying Ali was the leader all along is verrrry problematic. Like, where is he getting this from exactly? Joe was correct in saying he had joined, then (when it was apparent) asked how long he had been involved. Byron going all-out and announcing the he had been leading from the beginning was reckless.

I'm assuming Ali is the leader because he seemingly gave the signal to attack the Hurt Business and he's the only unmasked wrestler in the faction.  Not really logical, I know,but that's how wrestling works.

I'm wondering if Ali was supposed to be the leader (?) all along?  Knowing Vince, he just came up with this angle yesterday afternoon, but who knows.  There were a couple bigger names rumored to be leader (Keith Lee).  The afternoon they taped the first Retribution segment, WWE put out a statement saying it was just going to be a wrestling angle, not a political statement, so maybe they planned Antifa association from the start.  Honestly, their statement gave the idea Retribution were probably going to be African-American heels who shouted BLM slogans.  Vince doesn't do subtlety well.

59 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Honestly, their statement gave the idea Retribution were probably going to be African-American heels who shouted BLM slogans.  Vince doesn't do subtlety well.

I remember this was about the same time they supposedly were going to bring back the NOD, which may have morphed into what The Hurt Business is now. The statement that they had released about it not being political didn't give a BLM vibe off at all, but rather an Antifa one.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I'm assuming Ali is the leader because he seemingly gave the signal to attack the Hurt Business and he's the only unmasked wrestler in the faction.  Not really logical, I know,but that's how wrestling works.

I'm wondering if Ali was supposed to be the leader (?) all along?  Knowing Vince, he just came up with this angle yesterday afternoon, but who knows.  There were a couple bigger names rumored to be leader (Keith Lee).  The afternoon they taped the first Retribution segment, WWE put out a statement saying it was just going to be a wrestling angle, not a political statement, so maybe they planned Antifa association from the start.  Honestly, their statement gave the idea Retribution were probably going to be African-American heels who shouted BLM slogans.  Vince doesn't do subtlety well.

I could be wrong, but wasn’t Bruce Pritchard on the Smackdown staff when the hacker stuff started? Now that he’s on the Raw staff, I don’t know that it’s as much as stretch as usual to wonder if Ali was the plan from the beginning.

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

From the little bit of start and stop pushes he's gotten over the past few years Ali seemed like he could've been a great career long babyface. Really same for Keith Lee. Both guys should be really over babyfaces right now especially Lee. Like you really have to put in some effort for Keith Lee not to be At least second to the top baby face right now.

I hope Ali makes this work because at least he'll be more than just a guy that can pull out an awesome match.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

From the little bit of start and stop pushes he's gotten over the past few years Ali seemed like he could've been a great career long babyface. Really same for Keith Lee. Both guys should be really over babyfaces right now especially Lee. Like you really have to put in some effort for Keith Lee not to be At least second to the top baby face right now.

I hope Ali makes this work because at least he'll be more than just a guy that can pull out an awesome match.

I'm just hoping this doesn't change his Twitter feed at all. Be a real jolt to switch over to DOOM N GLOOM after all the stuff off him with his wife and kids being super-wholesome and adorable.

• Like 2