DVDVR Message Board

I created a Discord chat server for political and other discussions

NikoBaltimore

So I initially had a lovely and long post about this but basically I created a Discord.  Now the idea came about before the debate but considering how things went it drove home the idea that this might be something useful so poor @jaedmcdoesn't keep having to post friendly and not-so-friendly reminders in the "..What's going on?" topic.

So the long-term reason is so we can have a place for things from wrestling watch-alongs to discussing live sports.  Considering political discussions are a no-no here (sorry again for adding to that) I believe Discord is the way to go.  I'm willing to take suggestions for things to add/edit/remove and if there's anybody willing to assist with moderation please send me a message.  I'm cool with moderating this as I trust you all to not be a jerk but help would always be appreciated.

Anyway, the link is https://discord.gg/7u3hySK and I hope you all get good use out of this.  Oh, and for those curious I did get the blessing from the admins so while we did call it DxVxD Discord it's all good on their end.

EDIT:  I updated the initial post to clarify that the Discord chat is a general catch-all place to discuss politics.  So please check the link if you wish to do so.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Is this a safe space to show my age and admit I don't really know what a Discord is?

FWIW I didn't know/care about it either until a few months ago when checking Fire Pro stuff.

But basically it's a chat room.  I consider it IRC but with more bells and whistles.  So if that sounds to your liking then you should be fine if/when you join.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Apparently I've joined the channel twice. thisisfine.gif

Are you pogo_pete?  If so I don't know if I can consolidate the accounts but if not whichever one you want to stick with I can just remove the other one.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

FWIW I didn't know/care about it either until a few months ago when checking Fire Pro stuff.

But basically it's a chat room.  I consider it IRC but with more bells and whistles.  So if that sounds to your liking then you should be fine if/when you join.

Thanks, I appreciate you saving me the embarrassment of having to ask one of my nephews.

I'll sign up when I get off work.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Please never let us use Voice chat...

Unless it's for a game.  Maybe we can really blow it up and get a 10 player Among Us game going.

Shit, I knew I forgot to add a gaming section.  That would be pretty useful now that you mention it.

EDIT:  I renamed the general voice chat for video games.  Not sure if I'll need to splinter that off but we'll see how things go.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Is this a safe space to show my age and admit I don't really know what a Discord is?

Not gonna lie, I figured somebody was was doing an OSJ style apology for upsetting folks when I first saw that.  

Also, I have actually told kids to get off my lawn in the past, so I'm confirmed to be roughly a billion years old.

• NikoBaltimore changed the title to I created a Discord chat server

Come one and all, use my lawn, it's just grass, who gives a shit. Also, Discord is like mIRC in 2020 with wacky features like GIFs and streaming if you do that sort of thing.

Can't see how the name would be an issue. But if it doesn't work after putting the whole thing then I'll have to look into that. 

EDIT: Nevermind, saw you got in. Awesome. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Can't see how the name would be an issue. But if it doesn't work after putting the whole thing then I'll have to look into that. 

EDIT: Nevermind, saw you got in. Awesome. 

I don't know what you mean by that. I'm still stuck at the birthday question. I can click on the different options but they don't stay there and just remain Month/Day/Year.

It won't let me refresh the page either, every time it just brings me back to the birthday question.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't know what you mean by that. I'm still stuck at the birthday question. I can click on the different options but they don't stay there and just remain Month/Day/Year.

It won't let me refresh the page either, every time it just brings me back to the birthday question.

Shit, I'm sorry. I saw somebody named Curt and mistakenly thought that was you. I'll look into it tomorrow. 

EDIT: So it is a bug that people are complaining about. So it's not just you. I'll look into it when I'm... a bit more sober. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, RIPPA said:

I am just gonna bump this for... reasons

I think I see why but thank you kindly.  With respect to the board I try to not advertise it much except for if people wanna chat during a big PPV.  Or when political shit gets out of hand and people start talking about it here.

But I'm happy with it being used and glad that some newcomers had fun chatting Sunday.  I won't push about it but if you ever want to do anything with the chat I'm always open to any ideas.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic
  • NikoBaltimore changed the title to I created a Discord chat server for political and other discussions