DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2020

Flair’s Shadow

Have they ever given a look at people like Solo Darling, the Sea Stars, Nicole Savoy, etc? Gimme Darling as a pint sized powerhouse out-muscling Nyla. Priscilla Kelly made a couple appearances and was on the JeriCruise, so obviously there is some interest there. There's lots of talented female wrestlers in the US that would go a long way to filling out the roster, but they seem content on waiting it out for the joshi wrestlers and partnering up with Billy Corgan (which would be fine if they also manage to get Allysin Kay and Marti Belle in).

• Like 4

Savoy, yeah. She was in the tag tournament on YouTube. I only check out the very occasional episode of Dark, so not sure on the others but I don't think I've heard their names connected to AEW. They did bring Heather Monroe in and I thought she looked impressive. I distinctly remember stiff elbow shots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, they should go after Heather Monroe and her opponent on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood a week or two back. They're an NWA affiliate, it'd work out.

Lacey Ryan!

• Like 2

I like that they brought in Layla Hirsch. I ordered the replay of Bloodsport over the weekend and was rooting for her to win her match. I think she's got some potential if they can mold her. 

As much as I love Riho, they did make a mistake building the title around her right off the bat. AEW was her second priority with Stardom always being number one. You would think hopefully if a partnership with New Japan can happen, maybe one can with Stardom as well. It would help to send a few of the rough diamonds AEW has over to Japan.

7 hours ago, elizium said:

Have they ever given a look at people like Solo Darling, the Sea Stars, Nicole Savoy, etc?

You would think with Hirsch getting two big matches Sea Stars can't be far behind seeing that one is her girlfriend, and they are her stablemates in general. They even made a little vid about looking for a new fourth member with Leyla debuting on Dark.

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

As much as I love Riho, they did make a mistake building the title around her right off the bat. AEW was her second priority with Stardom always being number one. You would think hopefully if a partnership with New Japan can happen, maybe one can with Stardom as well. It would help to send a few of the rough diamonds AEW has over to Japan.

Not even remotely true. She works Stardom as a mid carder, and in respect to her position with AEW has yet to even take a direct loss in Stardom. 

Also AEW's relationship with DDT/TJPW is still a thing despite COVID. I doubt anything happens with Stardom while that is ongoing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elizium said:

Have they ever given a look at people like Solo Darling, the Sea Stars, Nicole Savoy, etc? Gimme Darling as a pint sized powerhouse out-muscling Nyla. Priscilla Kelly made a couple appearances and was on the JeriCruise, so obviously there is some interest there. There's lots of talented female wrestlers in the US that would go a long way to filling out the roster, but they seem content on waiting it out for the joshi wrestlers and partnering up with Billy Corgan (which would be fine if they also manage to get Allysin Kay and Marti Belle in).

I would love to see Savoy signed whether she's teaming with Swole or by her self.  But Priscilla and Darby are divorced so I can't see her being brought in anytime soon.  But with Rosa unfortunately likely WWE bound I sure hope they bring Kay and Marti in.

FWIW Meltzer has walked back the Rosa to WWE certainty.  Allegedly she’s under contract with NWA through 2021, so whoever wants her would have to buy her contract out.  Which is not to say that someone hasn’t/won’t, but it is a potential roadblock.

With respect to the (completely legit) complaints about aew’s women’s division, I think it’s pretty apparent that they were planning on Kris Statlander being a significant player, and her and Britt suffering knee injuries around the same time set them way the fuck back. There’s still no excuse for them not to have signed some veterans full time, but TK and co. could just be waiting for their future linchpins to return from injury. 

• Like 3

There's two issues. They don't have the talent for an entire division like NXT does. Second, they aren't using the talent they do have. You cannot hire your way out of the second problem. They had one women's feud with Baker and Swole that was pretty terrible and now they don't have any. I think Shida has loads of potential and good look, but we don't know anything about her as a person and she's the champion of the promotion. They need to fix that before they deal with the dearth of talent.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But Priscilla and Darby are divorced so I can't see her being brought in anytime soon. 

To be fair they are still friends so its likely just some early awkwardness neither wants to deal with right now. She could easily end up there some time next year.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

To be fair they are still friends so its likely just some early awkwardness neither wants to deal with right now. She could easily end up there some time next year.

I can see that.  It kind of reminds me of Janela and Penelope after they split so I'm sure it's just a matter of time for Priscilla.

Lance Hoyt Archer showed up on Dark this week, and I still don't get what people see in him. He doesn't carry himself like a scary monster (hell, Nick Comoroto did that better and he was the enhancement talent in the subsequent match), he has a crummy looking weave/ponytail haircut, and "The Murderhawk" is the sort of try-hard nickname Michael Scott would have given himself on the Office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Make sure you check out the Jake Hager fight from tonight, pretty entertaining.

Spoiler

Hager wins the split decision in a slightly bloodly affair over former Pittsburgh Steelers training camp guy Brandon Calton. Close R1, Hager got rocked late in R2 and came back strong in the final round. Actually showed some grit. Not super-high level stuff, but definitely better than your average Bellator prelim Heavyweight fight (why was this a prelim?). Highlights include Hager's diabolical dick punch, Calton's corner's accents being as thick as Ken-tucky mo-lasses, and the completely sincere use of a Limp Bizkit song before the decision was read.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Lance Hoyt Archer showed up on Dark this week, and I still don't get what people see in him. He doesn't carry himself like a scary monster (hell, Nick Comoroto did that better and he was the enhancement talent in the subsequent match), he has a crummy looking weave/ponytail haircut, and "The Murderhawk" is the sort of try-hard nickname Michael Scott would have given himself on the Office.

LOOOOOOL

I've said before that he has a really non-intimidating baby face.  Look up old WWE pics of him clean shaven and with short hair.  He looks like a middle manager.

EDIT: I'll save you the effort

12514464.jpg

Did you get those TPS reports filed yet?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

Question from Dark. So they finally blew off the Brandon Cutler-Librarian angle and I just have to ask. Why were the Young Bucks there? Like I know that they're friends with Cutler, but really did they need to do a cameo to inspire him to his first win? Is the heel turn over? If so, why did they do it at all?

18 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I find Archer to be very performative in that I don't believe he's really beating up a rando before every match. He doesn't have the air of believability that someone like Eddie Kingston has.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Question from Dark. So they finally blew off the Brandon Cutler-Librarian angle and I just have to ask. Why were the Young Bucks there? Like I know that they're friends with Cutler, but really did they need to do a cameo to inspire him to his first win? Is the heel turn over? If so, why did they do it at all?

He's asked them to be there before and they haven't turned up, so it turned out all he needed was his friends (whether they're baddies or not, they're his pals).

8 minutes ago, Goodear said:

It’s part of the angle that played out on BTE.  They stopped showing up in the crowd for his Dark matches, so he specifically asked them to corner him in the precious match with Avalon, but they no-showed.  All the while, Hangman was telling Cutler they didn’t really care about him, just like they didn’t care about him.  I think Cutler finally told them off on the BTE before this, and that kind of snapped the Bucks out of their funk a little.