DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2020

Flair’s Shadow

7 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I've seen him in person a bunch, five foot four sounds right on. I'm only 5'6ish and the first few indie shows I went to blew my mind when it came to being almost the same height as the majority of wrestlers - taller than some as well. WILD. 

I'm about 5'6 too and had the same experience in the last indy show I went to back in 2017. Also, due to me confusing the actual ratio of an inch to cm, so I thought I was actually 5'8 at the time (so I was unknowingly padding my own height as well).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Do you think Fenix maybe tones down his crazy shit just a bit?

It would be wise to. Do not want him to end up having a crazy injury like Hiromu and it taking that type of injury to reign Hiromu back in a bit.

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

I don't watch NWA Power but while Starks is really good wrestler and promos is really good but man when he was in commentary a couple weeks ago he was almost a mute out there and seemed awful.  

Yeah, I don't know why they're putting him out on commentary constantly, it's not like he's spectacular at it. Especially to have him doing it for multiple matches - it just overexposes him.

I'm glad they were smart enough to book him as a heel right from the jump, though. In Powerr he seemed miscast as a babyface.

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

This might be way too obvious from that video, but the teasing of a Fenix turn intrigues me.

Was always going to happen. I want Lucha Underground badass Pentagon back. Give me full evil skeleton ninja who breaks people's arms.

edit: Ooooh, I see Dragon Lee and Rush's contracts with ROH are up in December. YES, PLEASE. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A real shame as Fenix/Omega was the match I was most anticipating. Not to say that Penta will be a downgrade. But yeah Fenix could tone down to like 85% and still be spectacular without risking another Hiromu situation (I assume, as a non-wrestler).

• Like 1

A couple of months ago (or maybe half a year ago, who knows anymore) I caught myself poring over AEW's Youtube data to figure out who the most over people in the company were. I settled firmly on the idea that the top three were Moxley, Orange Cassidy, and Jericho, with a large gap between those three and everyone else.

I've been mulling over an AEW t-shirt order the last few weeks and I've been noticing patterns in the "Weekly" category of best-sellers. The top t-shirt movers seem to be... Orange Cassidy, by a mile, with Best Friends included. Three of the top four shirts, currently. And this is a few weeks removed from the Sue's Minivan shirt.  A pretty obvious top five is completed by Moxley, Darby Allin, Jericho, and Adam Page. Kenny Omega has a lot of shirts in the top 50 and might be undersold by my observations due to the sheer volume of shirts he has available. This is great news for figuring out who's actually over - data points to putting a belt on one member of Best Friends + OC as a fucking necessity once crowds come back, for instance, but also tells a pretty worrying tale about other acts.

The Young Bucks, Masters of Merch, just aren't there. And they haven't been, at all, for at least three or four weeks. The other half of their current feud, FTR, have nothing in the current or monthly Top 40 either, which is damning.  Quarter-hour ratings and fan response to matches have led me to believe that FTR are not nearly as over as the AEW office presents them as, but it would also seem that this feud is outright cold. Youtube numbers seem to back this up. Other things Youtube  might be telling me - John Silver is more over than Jim Ross, Ricky Starks is more over than Miro (who's views have instantly fallen off a cliff), and that matches based on doofy BTE storylines (Sydal/Nakazawa, Avalon/Cutler) = Youtube ratings.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As far as merch goes, is it also possible that some people are buying non-AEW merch for the stars in question? Since a lot of the wrestlers had established merch before signing, and some still have their own PWTees stores that sell stuff not available from the AEW shop.

Bored at work yesterday, I decided to scroll through the WWE roster page and see how many folks I'd like to see jump to AEW. I didn't keep count but it was WAY less than I expected when I started. There's the obvious, like Cesaro and D-Bry, maybe Owens or Sami, and a lot of "lifers" that would be VERY interesting to see elsewhere - Kofi jumps to mind immediately. Andrade would be awesome.

I'd probably have a higher percentage of women changing teams. Imagine Asuka, Bayley, Sasha, Io, Martinez, Yim, etc adding a ton to the AEW Women's Division. 

So in the end, I think my top pics would be Cesaro for men, Asuka for women. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

As far as merch goes, is it also possible that some people are buying non-AEW merch for the stars in question? Since a lot of the wrestlers had established merch before signing, and some still have their own PWTees stores that sell stuff not available from the AEW shop.

PWTees paints a very similar picture. The Jericho 30th Anniversary shirt is the top monthly seller, then three of the next five best-sellers are Best Friends + OC. The only living, non-AEW wrestler in the monthly best-sellers page on PWTees is Jay White.

14 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A couple of months ago (or maybe half a year ago, who knows anymore) I caught myself poring over AEW's Youtube data to figure out who the most over people in the company were. I settled firmly on the idea that the top three were Moxley, Orange Cassidy, and Jericho, with a large gap between those three and everyone else.

I've been mulling over an AEW t-shirt order the last few weeks and I've been noticing patterns in the "Weekly" category of best-sellers. The top t-shirt movers seem to be... Orange Cassidy, by a mile, with Best Friends included. Three of the top four shirts, currently. And this is a few weeks removed from the Sue's Minivan shirt.  A pretty obvious top five is completed by Moxley, Darby Allin, Jericho, and Adam Page. Kenny Omega has a lot of shirts in the top 50 and might be undersold by my observations due to the sheer volume of shirts he has available. This is great news for figuring out who's actually over - data points to putting a belt on one member of Best Friends + OC as a fucking necessity once crowds come back, for instance, but also tells a pretty worrying tale about other acts.

The Young Bucks, Masters of Merch, just aren't there. And they haven't been, at all, for at least three or four weeks. The other half of their current feud, FTR, have nothing in the current or monthly Top 40 either, which is damning.  Quarter-hour ratings and fan response to matches have led me to believe that FTR are not nearly as over as the AEW office presents them as, but it would also seem that this feud is outright cold. Youtube numbers seem to back this up. Other things Youtube  might be telling me - John Silver is more over than Jim Ross, Ricky Starks is more over than Miro (who's views have instantly fallen off a cliff), and that matches based on doofy BTE storylines (Sydal/Nakazawa, Avalon/Cutler) = Youtube ratings.

I think what’s more interesting about your merchandise data is that it indicates that AEW fans are actually more likely to buy merchandise from the baby faces than the heels (with the exception of Jericho and he’s the biggest star and has become more of a comedy character recently anyway). 

Which makes the Young Bucks decision to turn heel and start attacking announcers and back stage people before one of the most highly anticipated “dream matches” all the more baffling. It’s bad booking and hurt them in the pocketbook. I don’t get it.

And I’m not at all surprised that pairing Miro with an AEW Dark jobber and having him be a video game nerd hasn’t helped him.

• Like 1

Is there anything to the theory that

1. buying a Bucks shirt was a tangible affirmative expression towards the desire for a wrestling alternative as part of the Grassroots Indy Movement (c) and, like taking down the lawn sign after an election, the t-shirt demand subsided as they got the alternative they wanted

2. The t-shirt sale was reciprocal for the overall Bucks experience which included the Elite chanting on the way in, the match itself, the super kick party show-close, and the personal interaction, and in the absence of all the other stuff, there’s not the same compulsion to get the shirt

3. All along they were more closely riding the wave of the Bullet Club merch popularity than their own thing

I’m probably way over-thinking this...

• Like 5

Miro, the Young Bucks, Sammy Guevara, Eddie Kingston, Reynolds/Silver, SCU, Cody and Hangman all have shirts on the Top Sellers of the Month page.

They're also on the weekly page.

EDIT: Actually, Miro is the only one that's not on the Top Weekly page - he's just on the top sellers for the month.

Edited by Casey

On 10/23/2020 at 9:35 PM, AxB said:

John Silver is the same height as Tyler Bate, then. Except Tyler is padding himself up to 5'7", which is bullshit.

Oh yeah, no! Tyler can't be much more than 5'3 or 5'4, if that. He stood along side Seven and Dunne behind the merch table when I bought Dunne's "Everything Is Mine" T-shirt and a DVD and if I'm not 5'7", neither is he.

• Thanks 1