DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2020

Flair’s Shadow

Yeah, I don't have a huge problem with Allie going back to the Blade so long as they have a little follow up and don't just drop the QT thing cold. It did seem like it was all leading to a turn but to be honest sometimes it's refreshing that a wrestler's personal life doesn't always develop in the ring in front of cameras and fans. But a man's wife did go with another man for a solid half a year, that has to be addressed somehow, even if it's just Eddie hand waving it away by saying it's a 'modern relationship, be cool'.

• Like 1

I feel like Brandi just doesn’t know what her strengths are.  She keeps trying to force herself into this heel role, and it doesn’t suit her.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being the modern Miss Elizabeth, and she does that very well.  If she would just commit to it for more than a couple months at a time, it would pay off huge down the line.

• Like 5

Thinking Brandi's storylines were anything more than abominations now joins looking forward to Luther vs. Jericho as a sign you're way too far in the tank for AEW.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I feel like Brandi just doesn’t know what her strengths are.  She keeps trying to force herself into this heel role, and it doesn’t suit her.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being the modern Miss Elizabeth, and she does that very well.  If she would just commit to it for more than a couple months at a time, it would pay off huge down the line.

I was thinking, at first, that this wouldn't work because Cody is ostensibly a face.  But if they go all the way with the idea that Cody is a delusional heel who thinks he's a babyface (is that too close to real life?) and he's just a dick to everyone including Brandi, that would be fun. 

Edited by Technico Support

Brandi suffers from a lot of fans genuinely liking her public persona. She’s great in everything that isn’t Dynamite, A shot of Brandi, her PR appearances, she’s fantastic.  So when she has tried something out of the box on the show a lot of fans just wont buy it.

I think the Bucks are having similar problems with their turn, they have been presented as nothing but babyfaces since the beginning of the company both on and off TV.  

The one person they have the balance with is Kenny, his turn is coming slower and is way more subtle.  I suppose getting the balance is difficult.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Brandi suffers from a lot of fans genuinely liking her public persona. She’s great in everything that isn’t Dynamite, A shot of Brandi, her PR appearances, she’s fantastic.  So when she has tried something out of the box on the show a lot of fans just wont buy it.

I think the Bucks are having similar problems with their turn, they have been presented as nothing but babyfaces since the beginning of the company both on and off TV.  

The one person they have the balance with is Kenny, his turn is coming slower and is way more subtle.  I suppose getting the balance is difficult.  

Definitely not sold that the Bucks are actually turning (at least yet). They may be planting the seeds to turn down the road, but they will not be heels in the FTR feud.

That being said, AEW fans have been willing to boo them in the right situations. By the end of All Out, the fans were pulling for the Lucha Brothers in the ladder match against the Bucks (and AEW making and keeping Lucha Brothers as heels is one of their rare major missteps). At Revolution, the fans were openly hostile against the Bucks in cheering for Omega and especially Hangman. I think that they will be heels in AEW, but expect that will happen in 2021 or later.

• Like 2

See how they just celebrated their first Anniversary last week (even though the first Dynamite was on October 2nd)? They also did an Anniversary special on January 1st, to celebrate One year since the promotion was founded. So most likely we have two anniversary specials to look forward to next year as well, and one of them is only in like nine weeks time.

Tazz's inability to say "Stark Remark" popped me several times. They have good chemistry, and Starks is fantastic in the ring. What a signing for them, picking up a future cornerstone during a global pandemic.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, kafkonia said:

I wish they'd do more with Ricky Starks on Dynamite. Because I only get to watch Dark regularly, and he's on there too much. ? 

I don't watch NWA Power but while Starks is really good wrestler and promos is really good but man when he was in commentary a couple weeks ago he was almost a mute out there and seemed awful.  

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I don't watch NWA Power but while Starks is really good wrestler and promos is really good but man when he was in commentary a couple weeks ago he was almost a mute out there and seemed awful.  

When it comes to his commentary he was great when Veda was there and can stay for however long.  But then he was there a couple times for most of the show and even Taz had to correct him a few times.  He still commentates for a few matches and doesn't seem too bad but he might be best doing one match for when Darby or whichever rival is out there.

28 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Speaking of Silver, you ever notice when short dudes get jacked it just makes them look shorter?

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Well yeah when you look almost as wide as you are tall it has that effect ?

I just looked up his height and he's listed as 5'4 which seems actually honest, shocking for a professional wrestler to not pad his or her height.

Edited by christopher.annino

57 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Well yeah when you look almost as wide as you are tall it has that effect ?

I just looked up his height and he's listed as 5'4 which seems actually honest, shocking for a professional wrestler to not pad his or her height.

What if he still does pad it a little bit? He's actually 5'1 or 5'2, or something?

Edited by Shartnado
pad, not bad!

15 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

What if he still does pad it a little bit? He's actually 5'1 or 5'2, or something?

I've seen him in person a bunch, five foot four sounds right on. I'm only 5'6ish and the first few indie shows I went to blew my mind when it came to being almost the same height as the majority of wrestlers - taller than some as well. WILD.