DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING PHOTOS

I actually just watched the Sting/Jake match with my buddy on our weekly Zoom watch along. It's funny but the match itself wasn't completely awful up until the finish. It was chugging along ok and then I think they must've been running out of time or something b/c Sting sold Jake's ddt for about 3 seconds before popping up to climb the pole for the glove while Cactus ran into give Jake the cobra. We all know what happened from there.

The inventor of the match, Dutch Savage, did not foresee the use of the pole - the ref just woulda tossed it up, basketball-stylee. He was representing the coal mines of his home town, bragging that the miners were tougher than the lumberjacks of the Pacific Northwest, who had their own specialty matches. I think Don  Owen came up with the use of the pole for the first one (early '70s). In a box in my basement on a VHS tape there is a copy a great doc called Savage about DS, Portland wrestling and the CMG match, spotlighting the feud between Dutch Savage and the Iron Sheik and really breaking down the psychology of the Coal Miner's Glove gimmick. I think there were other "on a pole" matches before that, but more of a battle royal, grab a check/bag of cash thing.

I dig those IWA-Japan kendo stick matches where the rasslers start out at the top of opposite aisles and after a countdown gotta race into the ring where there is a lone kendo stick laying on the mat to use as a weapon. A couple years later that would be extraordinarily sparse compared to the over gimmicked coffin/glass/barbed wire net/scorpion/thumbtack/piranha/whatnot matches that were also fun in a nothing succeeds like excess manner.

Scranton PA,

RAF

p.s. - no need to cratedive in my cellar thanks to thee miracle of thee YouTubes (highly recommended):

• Like 4