Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK


Recommended Posts

Man, what will Twitter do without racist, code-switching, MAGA Road Dogg tweeting about dumbass conspiracies? I guess the countless others will just do the work for him. I'd like to imagine Bronson Reed beat the fuck out of him, but I give that a 0% chance of happening.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Matt D said:

C.O.P.S was my fav cartoon as a kid. I have all the comics still in mint condition!!!  Long arm, turbo 2 tone, Dr. Badvibes, Berzurko, Ms. Deamenor.   What a great show. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I just remembered...

It should be noted that I thought Bash 91 was so bad that I forgot about the outdoor WWE show in Frederick, MD that was rained out after maybe two matches.  It was an hour drive each way and Bash 91 still felt like a bigger waste of my time in hindsight.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

C.O.P.S was my fav cartoon as a kid. I have all the comics still in mint condition!!!  Long arm, turbo 2 tone, Dr. Badvibes, Berzurko, Ms. Deamenor.   What a great show. 

It's the hat:
 

Spoiler


ボード「pro wrestling from the 1970s and 1980s」のピンLouie the Plumber - C.O.P.S. N Crooks - Series 2 - Crooks - Hasbro Action  Figure

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Something I just remembered...

It should be noted that I thought Bash 91 was so bad that I forgot about the outdoor WWE show in Frederick, MD that was rained out after maybe two matches.  It was an hour drive each way and Bash 91 still felt like a bigger waste of my time in hindsight.

was this the one in 2003? I think we chatted briefly about this before.  I was playing soccer in MD at this time and went to this show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

My worst show would be the Smackdown with the Brock/Kurt iron man match.  Most of the shows I’ve been to have been fun, but that match was such a let down live.

Man, that was a repetitive letdown. Best Angle/Lesnar match was at WrestleMania XIX. WrestleMania XIX is a top three or five WrestleMania for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

was this the one in 2003? I think we chatted briefly about this before.  I was playing soccer in MD at this time and went to this show.

I want to say it would have been 2005 maybe.  I remember the show the year before was headlined by Benoit defending the world title against HHH and he won that in 2004.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man, that was a repetitive letdown. Best Angle/Lesnar match was at WrestleMania XIX. WrestleMania XIX is a top three or five WrestleMania for me.

The story of the match was good, even creative (Brock takes a DQ in order to beat Kurt’s ass with a chair and build a big lead) but maybe the last person in the world I want to see sell for almost an hour while they slowly mount a comeback is Kurt Angle.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, Eoae said:

Speaking of Richard Morton, is there anyone that put less effort into making a gimmick work?  I mean, Ricky refused to cut his hair, would't wear a suit for promos or to the ring, wore the same ring attire he had been wearing: those awful jean chaps or old R&R tights - neither of which fit the gimmick.  I've never been sure if Ricky didn't want to turn heel and tanked the gimmick or creative was just that bad or Ricky somehow thought he was giving his all to the act.  Anyone know?  

I say this as someone who thinks the R&R are at least a top 5 tag team of all time - maybe top 1, and also thinks Morton is one of the greatest tag team wrestlers ever.  Morton was a great pure babyface.  He should never have turned heel anywhere.   

The Red Rooster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had a good time at all do the shows I’ve gone to. When I was 9 or 10, I went to a marathon Superstars taping. It was cool, though. It was the taping that started the angle with Rude trying to kiss Jake the Snake’s wife. 
 

I went to Survivor Series 98. That wasn’t a great show, but my friends and I were so drunk, it ended up being fun for us. 
 

I did go to a couple Nitros that weren’t great. Not good or bad enough to be memorable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

My worst show would be the Smackdown with the Brock/Kurt iron man match.  Most of the shows I’ve been to have been fun, but that match was such a let down live.

I was there live and loved it, but probably because I was a huge Brock fan and I was happy to see Angle lose. I remember there being a fun Los Guerreros tag match too. 

It might go down as the worst show I've been to solely on the fact that my seats were floor level towards the back corner so I couldn't see some of the big spots. I'm sure I went to a way worse Southern Championship Wrestling show before then that I can't remember.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume I've been to bad indy shows but none stands out. I also don't remember anything about the RAW/SD tapings I went to in DC and Norfolk. Giving where I was sitting, part of me wants to say WM 8 in the Hoosier Dome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

worst show? not counting the single solitary shitty indy that came around here, would be a WWE Raw-brand house show in 2003. My memory says that the faces won every match (except HHH, of course), but i don't know if that's completely accurate. Definitely just a by-the-numbers show. 

here's the results, according to TheHistoryOfWWE:
WWE (Raw) @ Moline, IL - Mark of the Quad - March 14, 2003
Jeff Hardy pinned Christian with the Swanton at 11:27
Maven pinned Rico with a missile dropkick at 8:01
The Hurricane pinned Rodney Mack at 5:54

D-Von & Spike Dudley (sub. for Bubba Ray) defeated Chief Morley & WWE Raw Tag Team Champion Lance Storm in a tables match at 12:24 following a 3D on Storm through a table
WWE Women’s Champion Victoria defeated Trish Stratus and Jazz at 4:42 by pinning Trish with a roll up and using the tights for leverage
Rob Van Dam & Kane defeated Rosey & Jamal at 15:05 following the chokeslam / Five Star Frog Splash combo
Goldust pinned Steven Richards with a powerslam at 5:07
World Heavyweight Champion Triple H pinned Booker T with a chair shot after the Pedigree

 

1 hour ago, Log said:

I went to Survivor Series 98. That wasn’t a great show, but my friends and I were so drunk, it ended up being fun for us. 

??  the Deadly Game tournament was fantastic booking! the matches were mostly solid. if that is among the worst shows you've been to, that's a hell of a resume.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Come on. He had a red mowhawk. And strutted around like a bantam rooster. And cockadoddledooed alot!

Yeah, it was a terrible gimmick, but I don't see how one could accuse Taylor of not putting work into it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, it was a terrible gimmick, but I don't see how one could accuse Taylor of not putting work into it.

I may have been listening to too much Bruce Pritchard. But he shits on Terry Taylor every chance he gets for not embracing The Red Rooster.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twiztor said:

??  the Deadly Game tournament was fantastic booking! the matches were mostly solid. if that is among the worst shows you've been to, that's a hell of a resume.

I just watched that show like a couple weeks ago. The show long angle was excellent...the actual tournament matches and the other matches on the show are a mixed bag at best.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I was there live and loved it, but probably because I was a huge Brock fan and I was happy to see Angle lose. I remember there being a fun Los Guerreros tag match too. 

It might go down as the worst show I've been to solely on the fact that my seats were floor level towards the back corner so I couldn't see some of the big spots. I'm sure I went to a way worse Southern Championship Wrestling show before then that I can't remember.

Yep. Los Guerreros regained the WWE Tag Team Titles from Charlie Hass and Shelton Benjamin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Surreal seeing Mean Mark Callous on WWE much like The Undertaker out of character like never before this year through Undertaker: The Last Ride and interviews talking about his career.

Edited by The Natural
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I'm kind of surprised they never paired Koko with Rooster. 

I don't think a team of Koko and the most racist man in wrestling would have ended up lasting too long. I think Koko would have straight up murdered him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...