DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Too bad hardly anyone here gives that space to anyone who wants to discuss anything that's not in vogue with the majority. That's the point of my original post. Give others the space you want for yourselves. 

You're using the present tense in "gives," so I assume that's what we're talking about. Activity in the weekly Raw and SmackDown threads are circling the drain. Nobody cares. People have moved on. I'd posit there's space for people to do anything they want in those threads. Whether anyone wants to fill that space is up to them. You've been participating in the SmackDown threads the past few months and I don't think I've seen anyone stifling discussion that isn't in vogue.

I have no interest in re-litigating things that have happened on the board in years past. But for now, and maybe I'm mistaken in this assessment, there sure appears to be a lot of space. 

I dunno. I just don't see the people who want to come at those who enjoy what WWE produces. Not here at least. Not anymore. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

You're using the present tense in "gives," so I assume that's what we're talking about. Activity in the weekly Raw and SmackDown threads are circling the drain. Nobody cares. People have moved on. I'd posit there's space for people to do anything they want in those threads. Whether anyone wants to fill that space is up to them. You've been participating in the SmackDown threads the past few months and I don't think I've seen anyone stifling discussion that isn't in vogue.

I have no interest in re-litigating things that have happened on the board in years past. But for now, and maybe I'm mistaken in this assessment, there sure appears to be a lot of space. 

I dunno. I just don't see the people who want to come at those who enjoy what WWE produces. Not here at least. Not anymore. 

I don't post regularly anymore. These past few comments are the most I've said on DVDVR in probably close to a year. SmackDown threads have always been better in maintaining civility over RAW, so I say a few things in there when I visit. RAW threads got to the point that I stopped going into them. That wasn't long ago. Hopefully, they're more harmonious.

To me "Not anymore" sounds like "They probably found sound other kids to beat up, so you're off the hook!"

I'm not looking to argue about it. Just pointing out what has (or had) been several cycles of that sort of behavior. This place tends to be tone-deaf on certain topics.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No one hate-watches WWE, it's worse - it's hope-watching. Hope they push your guy, hope they don't fuck up so and so on the main roster, hope they don't punish someone for getting over without permission, hope the right guys go over, hope Vince doesn't get bored with your favorite, hope the creative gets better, hope the finishes make sense... 

I've always likened it to continuing to be a fan of a sports team that's consistently sucked for years in the hopes that they might win at some point, or at least put up an entertaining performance.

Personally I unsubbed from the network over a year ago. I think it's a good product, but just don't make enough use of it to justify paying when I can see all the new stuff I want elsewhere. Raw and PPVs come on during my work shift, so they're background noise more than anything else. I still watch NXT every week and will occasionally watch NXT-UK if I hear enough buzz about a match. Since Smackdown moved to Fridays I rarely watch it but I like putting on wrestling when I'm working out, so sometimes I'll catch up with it then.

• Like 3

WWE since 2019 experimented with very short tv matches here and there but I noticed recently WWE reduced booking those very short matches.

Anyway WWE seems to want to bring back more old PPV names for NXT.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

What is some things that happened in the past in pro wrestling that you totally forgot about?

I totally forgot Harley Race managed Vinnie Vegas in WCW.

I have no memory of a Harley/Vinnie Vegas pairing, so I've apparently forgotten it as well.

• Like 1

I have a weird relationship with the WWE that similar to my fandom of the Minnesota Vikings. I’ll be interested and start to really buy into it. Then right when I’m invested again they find a way to lose me. Season ends in a missed field goal or a dumb angle kills my enjoyment. So I check out. Then I hear about Roman Reigns killing it right now and I start to check out YouTube clips. Great matches, I’m in. The gimmick is great. The moment I do? Goldberg will return and squash him. It’ll happen and I just accept my place in this cycle. 

I hear you on finding certain threads annoying, @Burgundy LaRue. I’ll post my thoughts on casually liking something that is maybe not cool or easy to dislike and it can be eye rolling to get quoted with a “no, that wasn’t good” but not in an attempt of a discussion, just to express negativity. People feel more comfortable being abrasive online than they would act with a person their talking to in person. Hopefully your fun for posting isn’t sucked out, I’d love to read more of your and other people’s opinions. Especially when they are different.

As for what I enjoy, right now I’ve just been following AEW. I was diving through older YouTube matches of Bockwinkel and Hokuto and others through the many threads on here, but took a temporary back seat. So I’ve just been enjoying the weekly tv angles. Maybe as things chill out I should find another wrestler to focus on.

• Like 2