DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sticking to Survivor Series I went ahead and watched Survivor Series 1987 once again as I do every year,  man those Young Stallions really are the 19-13 12th seed in March Madness that just continue to get hot at the right time.  I forgot they went on a Cinderella run basically two years in a row.  

Andre's team is still probably my personal favorite Survivor Series team.  Just a bunch of huge monsters and the best part is Hogan being an idiot and costing himself the match.  

Jumping Bomb Angels totally awesome as always.  

Gorilla and Jesse on commentary,  hit it out of the park again but please.. Gorilla said "it's a happening" like ten times.  I'm glad he chilled out on that in later events. 

Young Stallions on a Cinderella run two years in a row? Or did you mean Survivor Series tag team elimination match having such a thing two years in a row? Bees and Stallions in '87 and Conquistadors in '88?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Nobody appreciates practical effects anymore.

It annoys me to no end watching something with say a shoot out and it's all computerized blood. It's just not the same.

Who would have guessed Paige could end up being the new Jesse Ventura in the company. I really hope she does get a bunch of them want to unionize. At the very least they should be able to join SAG. 

Personally, after seeing Edge come back I do have hope Paige would be able to wrestle again someday. Medical science is advancing and she's still quite young. Even if it's ten years from now she would only be in her mid 30's. So who knows what is possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh man. Dropping "Matt" from "Matt Riddle" because they don't want people searching for "Matt Riddle" and seeing what he may have done instead of just, you know, taking him off of TV. And then finally following through with making wrestlers drop their additional revenue streams.

Fuck WWE. Fuck Vince McMahon. He's a dumb, out of touch, despicable old man.

QFT.

41 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I bet that's not what the Netflix docu will say ?~!

His Netflix documentary is going to be the equivalent of the video Marty watches of Biff outside of Biff's Pleasure Palace in alternate 1985.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

It annoys me to no end watching something with say a shoot out and it's all computerized blood. It's just not the same.

I'm tolerant of a lot of middling to bad computer effects but CGI blood always like complete ass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Young Stallions on a Cinderella run two years in a row? Or did you mean Survivor Series tag team elimination match having such a thing two years in a row? Bees and Stallions in '87 and Conquistadors in '88?

That Conquistadors victory is even more impressive when you consider the fact that Edge and Christian were only 15 years old at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

That Conquistadors victory is even more impressive when you consider the fact that Edge and Christian were only 15 years old at the time.

Well, they didn't actually win, and that's probably why! Powers of Pain are lucky they weren't arrested for beating up minors! (I had to take a while find the proper wording so that this isn't confused with what Velveteen Dream was up to). 

• Haha 3

How many people here have stopped watching WWE altogether? Stopped subscribing to the network? I'm curious.

Deleting Facebook has done me wonders mentally, and I'm sure not watching WWE anymore has helped as well. That sounds self-righteous, I know. It is true, though. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

How many people here have stopped watching WWE altogether? Stopped subscribing to the network? I'm curious.

Deleting Facebook has done me wonders mentally, and I'm sure not watching WWE anymore has helped as well. That sounds self-righteous, I know. It is true, though. 

I unsubscribed from the Network, but Mondays is one of the nights I'll play Valorant. I have a dual monitor setup and since I spend plenty of time dead, I'll usually have YouTube or YouTube TV on my other monitor. Since it's Monday, sometimes I'll turn on Raw until I'm like, "what the fuck is this bullshit?!" and then I'll watch woodworking videos on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I cancelled the network last may (day 1 subscriber) and never even think about renewing. For awhile I would dvr raw and smackdown and read the spoilers to see if there was anything good but I stopped that a very long time ago. I still read most of the spoilers though just to have an idea of what’s going on. There’s no way I could name all the champions off the top of my head. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

WWE will get what they deserve in the long run. You have to keep the employees happy.  AEW roster seems to be happy, WWE seems to not be. But instead of trying to make them happy WWE goes and does the opposite and takes more from them.  Japan and AEW are starting to look more appealing. AJ and Daniels are good friends and I can see AJ doing well for AEW.  Paige and Brit are friends and I could easily see Paige in AEW (especially if they are willing to clear her to compete).  Within 2 years I can see the WWE landscape changing drastically and not for the better

The bucks talked to AJ before aew was officially announced and he was like good luck but I’m really happy here. Obviously things change over time but didn’t he also sign a new deal in the past year? He’s not going anywhere. 

13 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I stopped subscribing and got a login from a friend which helps if I want to check out some stuff once in awhile.  As for the weekly shows I tend to check out highlights on Youtube and if needed speed through the show on Youtube TV to fill in the gaps.  The highlights normally do the job and I breeze through them in little time.  Though SD with Roman and Jey has gotten my attention so I watch all that play out.

And deleting Facebook is the best.  I can't see going back and am happy keeping Messenger while having the main page deactivated.  Life's too short to waste my time on pointless posts with a billion FB memes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'll say this right now, Vince McMahon makes me sick, but there is pretty much no fucking way on this earth I will unsubscribe to the WWE Network, due to the older stuff it contains now and in the future. Now, I could find a way to watch French Catch or AEW on TNT, but I still would probably not give this up. I've got more than 30 years of my life riding on this bullshit, and it still gives me a special feeling in my tummy. The main roster may be pretty much dead to me, but for a wrestling fan from Finland the deal of WWE Network is simply too good to pass up, and this is how I feel about this issue.

And I've made it clear before that I'm not on social media. This is the only place I frequent in. Everyone should GTFO Facebook and go to Niko's Discord!

Edited by Shartnado
F the F-book
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I finally quit watching about a year-ish ago. I kept my subscription for a bit longer, but I got a new credit card and forgot to renew it and just... didn't miss it. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

In the Plague Times, I have a whole lot of time to spend watching pro wrestling. I watch New Japan. I binged on the G1, and loved it. I watch AEW. I have time to keep up with BTE, skim Dark and follow some of their other assorted web content. All of that helps me enjoy Dynamite and the PPVs even more, and it helps the various story lines make more sense. I just love AEW and New Japan. It makes me happy to watch their stuff.

There's also an endless amount of stuff to watch online, and there are some excellent curated lists on this very site such as the Wrestling Machines, Blood Sucking Freaks, and Clubberin' threads.

There is more good stuff out there from current NOAH, All Japan, DDT etc etc... French Catch, '89 All Japan, various indies... a bottomless cornucopia of classic matches... even with my Covid-mandated extra free time, I can't possibly keep up with it all.

You want self-righteous? How about this: Why, oh why, does anyone still bother watching WWE? Troll-style booking, asinine stories, that unbearably manic in-house editing style, and the knowledge that you are supporting that absolute soulless monster Vince McMahon? There are SO MANY far better options. Even though Bryan Danielson still works there, I can't even be bothered to hate watch current WWE.

I will check out the very very very occasional YouTube clip (such as the El Gran Gordo thing) if a friend specifically recommends it. I'll enjoy a classic WWF match or two on YouTube or dailymotion from time to time if I get the itch. You couldn't pay me to sit through an entire hour of their current programming. Not even RumbleMania season can draw me back in any more. 

I also sincerely believe I am much happier for it.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

In the Plague Times, I have a whole lot of time to spend watching pro wrestling. I watch New Japan. I binged on the G1, and loved it. I watch AEW. I have time to keep up with BTE, skim Dark and follow some of their other assorted web content. All of that helps me enjoy Dynamite and the PPVs even more, and it helps the various story lines make more sense. I just love AEW and New Japan. It makes me happy to watch their stuff.

There's also an endless amount of stuff to watch online, and there are some excellent curated lists on this very site such as the Wrestling Machines, Blood Sucking Freaks, and Clubberin' threads.

There is more good stuff out there from current NOAH, All Japan, DDT etc etc... French Catch, '89 All Japan, various indies... a bottomless cornucopia of classic matches... even with my Covid-mandated extra free time, I can't possibly keep up with it all.

You want self-righteous? How about this: Why, oh why, does anyone still bother watching WWE? Troll-style booking, asinine stories, that unbearably manic in-house editing style, and the knowledge that you are supporting that absolute soulless monster Vince McMahon? There are SO MANY far better options. Even though Bryan Danielson still works there, I can't even be bothered to hate watch current WWE.

I will check out the very very very occasional YouTube clip (such as the El Gran Gordo thing) if a friend specifically recommends it. I'll enjoy a classic WWF match or two on YouTube or dailymotion from time to time if I get the itch. You couldn't pay me to sit through an entire hour of their current programming. Not even RumbleMania season can draw me back in any more. 

I also sincerely believe I am much happier for it.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate it, but I'll just watch some Young Stallions' matches, freak out over both of their physiques and Paul Roma's dropkicks, have another sip of my quadruple Gin and Tonic and not be bothered with the awful stuff!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This was the first Rumble I skipped since the 90s. Even when I quit from 07-11 I'd still stream it somewhere (pre-Network)

Yeah, I used to love the Rumble, and I may one day learn to love it again. Kana and Shinsuke winning at the '18 Rumble was the last time that watching WWE made me feel really happy. Before that... maybe Bryan coming out on top at WM XXX?? 

I guess over the years there has been a lot to enjoy, it's just not for me any more. 

@ShartnadoI can absolutely see keeping a Network subscription for easy access to high-quality vids of all the older stuff. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

Just now, El Gran Gordi said:

Yeah, I used to love the Rumble, and I may one day learn to love it again. Kana and Shinsuke winning at the '18 Rumble was the last time that watching WWE made me feel really happy. Before that... maybe Bryan coming out on top at WM XXX?? 

I guess over the years there has been a lot to enjoy, it's just not for me any more. 

It's too much shit to wade through for the few bright spots. 

On the real though, I will 100% sign up for the Network again if they put up the old WCW C-shows and WWF syndicated/weekend shows I want to see. 

• Like 1