DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Bad News and Dick Murdoch teamed in Japan, if you can believe that. 

IIRC Bad News said in his shoot that he told Murdoch something along the lines of "I don't care what you believe, just don't let me hear you saying it around me and be professional when we work together and we won't have a problem"

Murdoch wisely listened to it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

IIRC Bad News said in his shoot that he told Murdoch something along the lines of "I don't care what you believe, just don't let me hear you saying it around me and be professional when we work together and we won't have a problem"

I get the feeling that Murdoch kept most of his racist bullshit to himself when blacks were around. I never heard about him having any issues teaming with JYD and they were the most popular team in Mid-South. Plus he worked with Ernie Ladd quite a bit in Mid-South too. He seems like he was like Watts in that he had racist views but he'd keep them under wraps because his actual favorite color was green.

In terms of Rooster and Koko, Koko probably would've murdered him. Unlike Murdoch, I could see Taylor shooting off his mouth and making a dumbass joke about fried chicken and watermelon or some other stereotype. In his book, Bret says that's basically what set off the Koko/Jim Troy brawl. Troy kept telling Koko to eat chicken and Koko hit him.

As far as worst shows go, props to @odessastepsfor reminding me about TV tapings.  I went to a WWF taping in the mid 80s and it was BRUTAL.  It was somewhere between WM2 and 3 (I'm too lazy to look it up on the history site) so I would have been maybe 11 or 12 and it was the series of shows where Adonis/Orton/Muraco turn on Piper and break his leg in the Flower Shop.  We sat through what felt like 4-5 hours of short squash matches with maybe 2-3 actual name vs name matches on the show.  In retrospect, as much as I hated the show, I feel so much worse for the family members who took my brother and I to the show, as they didn't even like wrestling and had to sit through it. 

So to keep score:

1. Bash 91
  2. Frederick MD minor league stadium show that was rained out after two matches (1 hour drive each way)
  3. 80s Superstars/Challenge taping that was like one of the circles of hell
  4. NYC ROH show that wasn't bad -- Danielson & Joe vs KENTA & Marufuji -- but we were too tired to enjoy it (long drive + sightseeing) and the people near us smelled like ass
Edited by Technico Support

Worst show I've ever been to had Tom Brandi working triple duty as Sal Sincere, the Patriot, and a legally-distinct-from-Doink clown.

This was just after 9/11 so the main event was Honky Tonk Man vs. a terrorist gimmick guy. We at least got to hear him sing twice and not take a single bump.

After the show, my buddies and I decide: this is it. We've got a direct line to a WWF legend. No time like the present to grab that brass ring. 

We wait around our high school gym locker room for him to come out, we give him our elevator pitch. Honky tells us: guys, I love it. You're gonna start just like I started, on the ring crew. Do that, and we'll start training next time we come through. We call our parents, and let them know we'll be 5 hours late coming home because we're breaking down and loading the ring truck. Honky says we're getting ring time and taking some bumps next time they're in town, so obviously this is the chance of a lifetime. We've gotta do it.

Five hours of child labor later, they never came back to town. Fuck you Honky.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
  • Haha 14

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Bad News called out Andre over his racism, I wouldn't mess with anyone with those kind of balls.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

and the people near us smelled like ass

This will probably take the enjoyment out of the event, no matter what the quality. At the very least it would be quite the distraction, nevermind the other distractions that you also mentioned.

• Like 1

WWE business news from their website :

"Revenue was $221.6 million, an increase of 19% or $35.3 million

Operating income was $63.4 million, an increase of nearly 9x or $57.0 million

Adjusted OIBDA1 was $84.3 million, an increase of more than 2x or $58.9 million

WWE ThunderDome debuted at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida. It provides an interactive virtual experience for WWE fans and recreates the in-arena atmosphere (WWE has not performed an event with ticketed fans since mid-March 2020)

WWE Network average paid subscribers2 were 1.6 million, an increase of 6%

Digital video views were 9.2 billion, an increase of 3%, and hours consumed were 342 million, an increase of 3%, across digital and social media platforms3

eCommerce revenue was $9.1 million, an increase of 60%, offsetting the loss of venue merchandise sales due to 74 fewer events in the quarter."

The rest in the link below

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2020/10-29-2020-201032116

• Sad 1

Article by Bix for Business Insider about Mel Phillips and I'm sure other stuff. I threw it in PasteBin because it's paywalled.

"WWE cofounder Linda McMahon, who runs Trump's biggest super PAC, once hired a suspected child molester on the condition that he 'stop chasing after kids.' He didn't."

https://pastebin.com/nYBfGagc

Edited by Ryan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This will probably take the enjoyment out of the event, no matter what the quality. At the very least it would be quite the distraction, nevermind the other distractions that you also mentioned.

I once went to a Harlem Globetrotters game in Green Bay about 8 years ago or so and while it was mildly entertaining if a bit dull, also I think they technically lost before they screwed with the scorekeeper's machine. Anyway, the two guys next to me literally smelled like they had bathed in a pile of cow manure and just came to the arena. It was almost unbearable.

• Sad 1

If only they had changed his first name to Jimmy instead. He could have been named after what fans do during his matches.

(That is a reference that is both very dated and specifically regionally English. But hopefully someone gets it)

Rampage Brown to NXT UK, that's good for him.

• Haha 3

I got it.

It's just the forced nature of never referring to him as Matt Riddle that will contribute to WWE programming having that contrived feel it really suffers from. Athough JR says some silly shit from time to time, generally the AEW commentary is entertaining because it feels vaguely natural more often than not.

• Like 2