DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

4 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

21:14, but I was eating soup at the same time. And I spent way too long trying to work out what Rachel Ellering's birthname could be...

Leanne Sotan? Joanne Sotan?

Who names their kid Minne?

I had exactly the same experience. In the end I was missing only one letter. I did piss-break and a fresh look at the word helped. Also I was puzzled which AEW wrestler was referred to as a shooter by Mox, whose name is full of vowels.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

Is anyone here familiar with the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series? I've been a fan of them for quite a while, and came across a chapter about wrestling I just had to share due to it's hilarious inaccuracy.

The chapter is entitled "Weird Wrestlers". It lists 17 characters and they only got five and a half correct. First, the wrong ones:

"El Gigante - A failed NBA basketball player, El Gigante was a lanky 7'7 and not muscular enough to wrestle. Solution: He wore a rubber suit covered with fake hair and painted muscles.

The Genius - Coming to the ring wearing a graduation cap and gown, the Genius appeared to be highly intelligent, speaking in a haughty accent and peppering his sentences with big words....and then he beat people up.

Isaac Yankem, DDS - An evil dentist, dressed in white smock and face mask, who threatens to remove his opponents' teeth.

Irwin R. Scheister - Somebody everybody could fear: an IRS agent. He wore glasses, a shirt, and a skinny tie, and hit people with his briefcase. As sportswritter Mike Stokes put it, the tax collector came across as "a cranky math teacher."

The Poet(?!) - He read poetry at the beginning of fights...and then he beat people up.

Roadblock - He looked like a road. He had a yellow "dead end" sign painted on his stomach, hit opponents with a barricade, and dressed in a black bodysuit (to look like pavement).

Goldust - He wore a sparkly robe and a long blond wig and intimidated opponents by licking their faces. His skin was spray-painted gold and he'd stop matches to cry about how his father didn't love him enough.

Brother Love - A stereotypical Southern evangelist who preached "the word of love"....and then beat people up.

Sexual Chocolate - A deep-voiced, smooth-talking ladies' man, like 1970s soul singer Barry White. The character was based on South Park's Chef - a parody of deep-voiced, smooth-talking 1970s soul singers.

The Booty Man - On his way to the ring, he dropped his pants and shook his bare buttocks. (He was actually wearing a flesh-colored prosthesis.)

Amish Roadkill - Inspired by the 1996 Amish-themed movie Kingpin, Amish Roadkill wore plain black Amish clothing, a black hat, and a long beard. He usually lost matches, because the Amish don't believe in fighting."

The characters they got (fully) correct were The Gobbledy Gooker, Doink, The Juicer, Red Rooster, and Akeem. Sgt. Slaughter was half-correct.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

He's probably the former these days but 10 years ago very likely the latter, he has matured in some ways and it seems like he's settled into his comfortable life and his upper class bully-jerk-jock younger days seem to be behind him. I don't watch WWE but Orton's twitter is pretty solidly entertaining these days when I check it out.

• Like 1

I used to have some of those Uncle John's books at my mom's house.  They were amusing enough but I don't remember a wrestling section.  Must have been in a different book.  But it doesn't surprise me that they would get all that wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Seems Raw Underground is finished. And Cinematic matches too probably.

Apparently Revolution or Redemption or whatever their antifa stand-in group was called is pretty much done, too -- treated like jobbers last night.  This is what happens when your booker is an elderly dude with a history of coke and steroid use who has the attention span of a goldfish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I have no idea why, but Randy Orton has always come across to me as a guy who doesn't watch wrestling. Does that make sense to anyone else? He's a pro for sure, but him watching Pete Dunne blows me away. Tito's night or not.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:43 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

Speaking of, I would like to see Victoria Coren Mitchell cut a promo on someone at a wrestling show. She would have totally got Dean Douglas over as his mouthpiece. 

Not quite the same thing, but I know she’s a competitive poker player so presumably she has some televised trash talking somewhere. 

So, Jake Hager's never going back to WWE:

I mean, he probably neither wanted to go back, nor would have been wanted back by them anyway. But it's always nice to see someone burning their bridge.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Custos said:

Not quite the same thing, but I know she’s a competitive poker player so presumably she has some televised trash talking somewhere. 

I've seen her play, and she's actually just often surprisingly honest about what she's holding in her hand and isn't particularly trash-talky. She's just smarter than everyone else at the table, I gather. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I've seen her play, and she's actually just often surprisingly honest about what she's holding in her hand and isn't particularly trash-talky. She's just smarter than everyone else at the table, I gather. 

She is also very wise to know she is likely underestimated because she is an attractive woman. Not that she plays dumb blonde or anything, but prob knew early on it was an subconscious advantage.