DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

7 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Does anyone know the reason why women wear stockings when they wrestle? Would it not look as good with bare legs? Protection? Sometimes it's jarring if the stockings are that much different color-wise from their bare skin. I remember an Alexa Bliss/Lacey Evans match from a month or so ago and I couldn't figure out of Alexa had a bad bruise or what until I realized it was the top of her stockings.

If I had to guess, it's to give them an extra layer of clothing in case of a malfunction. The only recent woman who wore shorts and not stockings was Ronda, who came from a sport where she wouldn't have been in the habit of doing so.

The first woman I recall wearing stocking/hose was wendi Richter in the wwf. A quick youtube search though shows her wrestling on Mid South TV vs Velvet McIntyre and both are bare legged. 

So, maybe it was a Vince thing first? 

On 10/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

IIRC, they kept momentum for both guys and appetite for the blow-off pretty high until Lockdown. And then, in what seems like a crazy move in hindsight but sort of made sense at the time, the pivoted to Austin Aries as champ. After that, Roode and Storm kinda dragged ass all the way to Bound For Glory where their big blow-off was a street fight with King Mo as the enforcer. Very TNA.

Agreed, the build up to Lockdown as a steel cage blowoff was perfect and Storm would've been set if he went over there.

That said, I did love the finish and Roode's reign in general, how he always had different chickenshit heel ways of retaining the title like that. And then of course Aries winning the title is maybe my all time favorite match/moment from TNA. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

There aren't many wrestlers who've been on TV with body hair, who weren't doing some sort of ugly person gimmick.

Yeah, for sure! Take a gander (if you dare) at these hideous icons of physical repulsiveness:

front.jpg

3d8cc-15623265012758-800.jpg

8a4f358675f6caabef2ce3e102be18aa.jpg

Added:

Cesaro_in_September_2016.jpg

RVD_6-239x300.jpg

Although, admittedly, RVD seems to have done the full bodybuilder shave pretty often as well.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I will defer to people who've actually worn stockings/etc. to give an answer to that as I have no idea.

Hey, don't interfere with our marksplaining!

The bodybuilder angle is spot on for the shaving, but both the shaving and ladies tights have a lot to do with convention, in the sense that that's just what wrestlers do so to look like a wrestler, you do it. Any after-the-fact reasonings are just conjecture.

- my conjecturing about thee conjecting,

RAF

Scott Hall and Magnum TA were both doing "I look like Tom Selleck" gimmicks. But they both shaved their shoulders, backs and arms.

I never understood the stockings thing myself, but I think most women wear them simply because they help cover up bruising and the dreaded cellulitis. 

I always assumed the men having clean chests must have been a Vince thing maybe for television. Rick Rude ended up growing quite the manly hairy chest in WCW. Maybe it's a better aesthetic having a smooth waxed chest to a natural one? I'm still convinced Vince took one look at Killian Dain and his body hair and that was that for Sanity before they even got to Smackdown. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

vlcsnap-00308.jpg

One for my fellow UK posters.

Aw, you assume that there aren't a few game-show obsessed Americans who watch as many of them as possible from across the pond.

With the exception of Bullseye.

Speaking of, I would like to see Victoria Coren Mitchell cut a promo on someone at a wrestling show. She would have totally got Dean Douglas over as his mouthpiece. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2