DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Disagree. At the time, Storm was as hot as he'd ever been. He should have won the Bound For Glory series, beat Angle for the title, then had a long run as the top babyface in TNA. But instead of going with the hot hand, they cut him off at the knees, and he never fully recovered. 

Half right and half wrong. It did fuck up Storm and that could have been handled better, but Roode winning the belt did elevate them both, the problem was that they didn't follow through with Storm regaining the title! Godammit, I booked a year's worth of programming for my Wrestling RPG around this feud and I hadn't touched it for a decade!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Sheik defended the title during that time, they normally just had whatever match he was booked in converted to a title match. I saw Sheiky Baby vs. Chief Jay Strongbow for the belt in Pittsburgh a few days before Hogan beat him at MSG. 

Didn't Sheik also have a defence against Tito, too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

With the benefit of hindsight we could say Bret Hart’s 4th reign, which lasted from the Final Four PPV to the next night on Raw when he lost to Sid, ended up being the right booking since Bret’s bitter rant after losing including tussling with Vince was the catalyst for the WM13 heel turn and the beginning of the VKM character. I’m only half convinced any of it happened on purpose but it worked out pretty well until Survivor Series.

Considering he was originally supposed to win RR 97, they were obviously building towards Shawn vs Bret at WrestleMania 13. Shawn gave up the belt because of "knee" problems anyway so Bret probably would've gotten a title match at Mania and Austin wouldn't have had his breakout match unless they figured him into the title picture somehow based off his feud with Bret

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Didn't Sheik also have a defence against Tito, too?

Yes! I saw it a couple of years ago the youtubes.

It was pretty good from what I remember.  But I could have sworn that the match was on Spectrum in Philly.  Can’t find it on YouTube.  Boo.

Edited by Brandon Bones

Going back to Ben Carter for a second, regardless of one's feelings about WWE or AEW if one offers to pay you and the other offers to let you work for free... that's a pretty easy choice to make if one isn't independently wealthy. I can see a larger point about where one should want to work but in this particular case I don't see an argument for him making the wrong choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peck said:

NXT UK isn't a massive step back from AEW Dark.

I mean, it really is. The lack of interest in NXT-UK means that it's a step down from any random promotion on IWTV at this point.

6 hours ago, username said:

Going back to Ben Carter for a second, regardless of one's feelings about WWE or AEW if one offers to pay you and the other offers to let you work for free... that's a pretty easy choice to make if one isn't independently wealthy. I can see a larger point about where one should want to work but in this particular case I don't see an argument for him making the wrong choice.

Maybe whoever argues otherwise are the people venting at artists asking prices for commissions, wanting to pay for their work with "exposure"... 

• Like 2

Presumably if AEW signed him, they would be able to actually sort out a USA Work Visa. But for a one-shot booking, it's not worth it. Also, there's this:

It's a post-match interview following his final College Soccer game.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Considering he was originally supposed to win RR 97, they were obviously building towards Shawn vs Bret at WrestleMania 13. Shawn gave up the belt because of "knee" problems anyway so Bret probably would've gotten a title match at Mania and Austin wouldn't have had his breakout match unless they figured him into the title picture somehow based off his feud with Bret

That's an interesting idea. Who could have Austin had his break out match with at that show if not Bret? If it's Bret/Shawn for the world title that leaves Undertaker and Sid to either face each other or Steve. There's also Ken Shamrock, it was a little early in his WWF career but he'd been wrestling on and off since '88. But more importantly there was that odd heel/heel tag match with Owen Hart and Bulldog against Vader and Mankind so if you bust up that match you have four of the best workers in the company at the time.

Undertaker seems the likely choice, he has the right combination of main event status and unstoppability that Austin could rally against. Owen Hart seems possible although he may not have had the upper card cache necessary and you couldn't do the same finish unless Owen had been massively upgraded in the run up (like, clean pin on Undertaker upgrade). Vader could get the same effect by mauling Austin, the bloom was a little off the rose for him at that point but not so much that he couldn't be heated up again. He would have to be WCW Vader though if he still had it in him. Mankind is an interesting option. He's coming off a feud with Taker and that incredible match with Shawn at Mind Games then gets somewhat lost in the shuffle in early '97, I think he and Austin could have had a great dynamic even if the turn wouldn't have been as powerful. Bret was so goody goody that made it Austin a rebel and Foley doesn't have that.

My question is would a break out Austin match at WM13 worked as well without the double turn? He would either have to turn face in the match, which would mean going in heel/heel against someone like Vader or trying to turn while fighting a full on face like Taker, or he would have to turn in the lead up. Turning Stone Cold at that time wouldn't have taken a big push, one Stunner at the right time and he'd be the man. I think Bret made Austin in that match and he would have made it anyway given his career trajectory but it was that specific angle that got him over to the extent it did, and cemented Bret as the top heel in 1997 (suck it, Hogan).

• Like 1

Does anyone know the reason why women wear stockings when they wrestle? Would it not look as good with bare legs? Protection? Sometimes it's jarring if the stockings are that much different color-wise from their bare skin. I remember an Alexa Bliss/Lacey Evans match from a month or so ago and I couldn't figure out of Alexa had a bad bruise or what until I realized it was the top of her stockings.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Does anyone know the reason why women wear stockings when they wrestle? Would it not look as good with bare legs? Protection? Sometimes it's jarring if the stockings are that much different color-wise from their bare skin. I remember an Alexa Bliss/Lacey Evans match from a month or so ago and I couldn't figure out of Alexa had a bad bruise or what until I realized it was the top of her stockings.

I've also wondered that. Without knowing, comfort and better on camera? Bare arms would match bare legs while the colour of some stockings don't match the skin tone.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This isn't a gif so I won't post it in that thread. Is this the new Kaz/Raven splat spot to capture our morbid fascination? 

"Is he... Brother." perfect. 

Bloody hell. You've reminded me of:

07:32 mark.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Does anyone know the reason why women wear stockings when they wrestle? Would it not look as good with bare legs? Protection?

Cellulite?

4 hours ago, Godfrey said:

My question is would a break out Austin match at WM13 worked as well without the double turn? He would either have to turn face in the match, which would mean going in heel/heel against someone like Vader or trying to turn while fighting a full on face like Taker, or he would have to turn in the lead up. Turning Stone Cold at that time wouldn't have taken a big push, one Stunner at the right time and he'd be the man. I think Bret made Austin in that match and he would have made it anyway given his career trajectory but it was that specific angle that got him over to the extent it did, and cemented Bret as the top heel in 1997 (suck it, Hogan).

Bret vs Austin at Mania 13 was unique in that it achieved two things, both cementing Austin as on the same level as the main eventers, and turning him face simultaneously. But you have to bear in mind that going into that match, the audience had basically turned Austin face already, several months earlier.  So if Austin wasn't going to be working Bret, having him turn during his match at Mania doesn't necessarily have to be the plan. He could have just wrestled Taker and won, then turned babyface after the match or something... which does end the streak before it ever starts to be significant, but never mind about that.

4 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I've wondered this too, they already fake tan so it's really jarring when their tights are even more orange. Always wondered why male wrestlers wax/shave their whole bodies too, chest I can maybe understand, but guys like HHH, Orton don't even have leg hair.

The shaving comes from bodybuilding. There's a belief that having body hair obscures the muscle tone, and just looks unsightly in general. There aren't many wrestlers who've been on TV with body hair, who weren't doing some sort of ugly person gimmick.

Anyway, you know how sometimes people who do livestreaming get to the end of the stream and say goodbye, they accidentally turn off the monitor but not the stream or the camera? So they keep broadcasting but they think they've stopped? Caristico did that today. Took his mask off on cam and everything.