DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

Just now, odessasteps said:

Presumably, Uncle Tony could cut anyone at any time he wanted except probably the EVPs. 

This is true, as is the preceeding post. It's just not all that often that people get re-signed for big money and then relatively soon afterwards, get released.

• Like 1

Can you think of any examples of a world champion losing the title in the first defence, where that title reign was actually good booking? Any promotion, any major title.

Edited by Control

6 minutes ago, Control said:

Can you think of any examples of a world champion losing the title in the first defence, where that title reign was actually good booking? Any promotion, any major title.

Does the Impact title from James Storm to Bobby Roode count? I mean that was a good idea, Storm's booking just went to shit afterwards. Roode did ok. I thought it built both Storm and Roode at the time. If the MAJOR title clause isn't fulfilled, then nevermind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Pretty much. Now if you just mean WWE is more likely to do it I could get it. I just find it odd people are talking like no other promotion could do that.

OK: NOBODY is saying that there are guaranteed contracts in non WWE promotions, that's not what's being argued. What IS being argued is that WWE has a very long and established track record of treating it's talent like complete dogshit. They literally fired a bunch of people (including people they conned into signing big money deals and then fucked over) not to stop losses but to keep profits high. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

OK: NOBODY is saying that there are guaranteed contracts in non WWE promotions, that's not what's being argued.

Its what people are implying with their comments even if unintentional.

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

They literally fired a bunch of people (including people they conned into signing big money deals and then fucked over) not to stop losses but to keep profits high. 

This is literally the reason they were firing people for even before the pandemic. There was a reason there were annual releases for the longest time. It just so happened that they usually were also dropping people who were basically dead weight at that point. It was only shitty this time because of the pandemic. Also please don't pretend with the con bs. The people they "conned" basically tried to get themselves sweetheart deals by threatening to go to AEW while being pretty sure WWE would budge and give them the deals. They played hardball and it backfired on them in the end as they were the first go when it came time for releases.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Control said:

Are you including when a short term title reign was bought? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Control said:

Can you think of any examples of a world champion losing the title in the first defence, where that title reign was actually good booking? Any, any major title.

With the benefit of hindsight we could say Bret Hart’s 4th reign, which lasted from the Final Four PPV to the next night on Raw when he lost to Sid, ended up being the right booking since Bret’s bitter rant after losing including tussling with Vince was the catalyst for the WM13 heel turn and the beginning of the VKM character. I’m only half convinced any of it happened on purpose but it worked out pretty well until Survivor Series.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Does the Impact title from James Storm to Bobby Roode count? I mean that was a good idea, Storm's booking just went to shit afterwards. Roode did ok. I thought it built both Storm and Roode at the time. If the MAJOR title clause isn't fulfilled, then nevermind.

Disagree. At the time, Storm was as hot as he'd ever been. He should have won the Bound For Glory series, beat Angle for the title, then had a long run as the top babyface in TNA. But instead of going with the hot hand, they cut him off at the knees, and he never fully recovered. 

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its what people are implying with their comments even if unintentional.

This is literally the reason they were firing people for even before the pandemic. There was a reason there were annual releases for the longest time. It just so happened that they usually were also dropping people who were basically dead weight at that point. It was only shitty this time because of the pandemic. Also please don't pretend with the con bs. The people they "conned" basically tried to get themselves sweetheart deals by threatening to go to AEW while being pretty sure WWE would budge and give them the deals. They played hardball and it backfired on them in the end as they were the first go when it came time for releases.

If you think they have behaved in an honorable manner despite all evidence to the contrary then I don't know what else to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

Kawada's first two Triple Crown reigns saw him losing on his second defence (with his first defence being a time limit draw), and then on his first defence.

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Kawada's first two Triple Crown reigns saw him losing on his second defence (with his first defence being a time limit draw), and then on his first defence.

But that wasn’t good booking. Was it? 

7 minutes ago, Control said:

But that wasn’t good booking. Was it? 

The story they were telling was about how Kawada was going from being not top level, to being barely top level. So his first reigns were cut short to show that he had progressed to where he could push himself to win the big one, but couldn't maintain that level. His third reign was going to be an epic one, but he broke his arm winning the title, Giant Baba died, Kawada came back and got an eye injury, and then the Noah split happened and the story they were telling had to change. It would have been good booking if circumstances hadn't derailed the long term plan.

42 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If you think they have behaved in an honorable manner despite all evidence to the contrary then I don't know what else to say.

Never said that or implied it. I just dislike this mindset that only WWE would ever do that or the wrestlers released were these innocent victims. I actually thought it was pretty shitty of them timing wise, but honestly I was far less bothered by wrestlers getting released than I was by actual employees who weren't making 6 figures during their tenure there getting furloughed and/or fired.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Disagree. At the time, Storm was as hot as he'd ever been. He should have won the Bound For Glory series, beat Angle for the title, then had a long run as the top babyface in TNA. But instead of going with the hot hand, they cut him off at the knees, and he never fully recovered. 

IIRC, they kept momentum for both guys and appetite for the blow-off pretty high until Lockdown. And then, in what seems like a crazy move in hindsight but sort of made sense at the time, the pivoted to Austin Aries as champ. After that, Roode and Storm kinda dragged ass all the way to Bound For Glory where their big blow-off was a street fight with King Mo as the enforcer. Very TNA.

And of course Aries was so unlikable they'd switched him heel by the time he dropped the belt to Jeff Hardy at Bound For Glory. Very Austin Aries. 

Jay White beating Tanahashi at New Beginning 2019? Tanahashi just defeated Kenny Omega at the Tokyo Dome while Jay White cleanly beat Okada. Tanahashi got a nice big win possibly one last time. White is elevated to main heel status. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Wasn't Sheik's first defense the famous match vs Hogan at MSG? If so I'd say that would qualify.

Sheik defended the title during that time, they normally just had whatever match he was booked in converted to a title match. I saw Sheiky Baby vs. Chief Jay Strongbow for the belt in Pittsburgh a few days before Hogan beat him at MSG. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

IIRC, they kept momentum for both guys and appetite for the blow-off pretty high until Lockdown. And then, in what seems like a crazy move in hindsight but sort of made sense at the time, the pivoted to Austin Aries as champ. After that, Roode and Storm kinda dragged ass all the way to Bound For Glory where their big blow-off was a street fight with King Mo as the enforcer. Very TNA.

And of course Aries was so unlikable they'd switched him heel by the time he dropped the belt to Jeff Hardy at Bound For Glory. Very Austin Aries. 

This!