DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Okay based on yesterday Twitter I am confused on this Ospreay thing.  Has it been found out that Ospreay didn't actually blackball Pollyanna from shows and the promoter made the shit up? Or was he still involved in some way that the IWL promoter is such a mess up that it made him look guilty?   

https://www.facebook.com/DirtSheetRadio/posts/381102736589514

Maybe folks shouldn't always rush to judgment on this stuff.

On the other hand, it is wrestling, so who knows who is being scummy and carny, who is just being scummy, and who is just being a carny.

• Like 4

Well, he said we (presumably meaning AEW) lost Ben Carter because he went to the dark side. Hopefully they get him a visa and put him in NXT Florida. Wouldn't want him to get sent to NXT UK purgatory.

Some day, hopefully, people will start to realize that sometimes just because it's your dream job doesn't mean that's the best option. No doubt in my mind he's going to waste away in NXT UK for a bit, maybe get brought to NXT proper once (if ever?) the pandemic in the US stops, and then MAYBE get a push. Maybe. Mercedes Martinez always wanted to work for WWE. Look where that got her. Shitty, nowhere angle with Robert Stone then moved to RAW in a dead-end gimmick group.

I guess it's easy for me (us) to sit here and cast judgement from behind our computers, but signings like this (and Mercedes) feels like it's just to take away from the pool of potential AEW hires.

Ultimately it's probably a good move for him right now though, since he can't get officially paid in the US for work, and at least this way I guess he can. But it's probably a long contract, and fuck you if you get hurt and we don't want you to go anywhere, we're adding time to your expiring contract.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, he said we (presumably meaning AEW) lost Ben Carter because he went to the dark side. Hopefully they get him a visa and put him in NXT Florida. Wouldn't want him to get sent to NXT UK purgatory.

Why are guys still so stupid as to sign with this company? Besides having their careers go nowhere did they not see how the company fucked over tons of guys by releasing them in the middle of a pandemic not to prevent losing money (Which every other wrestling company on Earth was facing) but to KEEP THEIR PROFITS UP. When he inevitably gets screwed by them I will have zero sympathy for him.

• Like 4

Also: We all know about Twitter and spoilers by now, which is why I don't go on it until after I watch a big show. But why in the hell did the Observer site do a separate article spoiling a huge angle from the G1 other than complete stupidity? I mean they couldn't put the item up with the headline "Major Angle/Turn at Tonight's G1 Show"?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Mercedes Martinez always wanted to work for WWE. Look where that got her. Shitty, nowhere angle with Robert Stone

The nowhere angle that saw her feud with one of the biggest stars in NXT? Not saying they didn't fuck it up with the Retribution shit, but her actual NXT time was going well before that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

The nowhere angle that saw her feud with one of the biggest stars in NXT? Not saying they didn't fuck it up with the Retribution shit, but her actual NXT time was going well before that.

Maybe she's coming back to NXT now(?) and it will work out better for her? She'd have plenty of good opponents to work with, even if Io will have her hands full with other challengers at the moment. Anyone who's not challenging Io right now has one more credible bad-ass opponent to clash against in the mean time, in Martinez. This, if it's true that Retribution is down to a single female member in Mia Yim (or Redistribution, or whatever R-word she's referred to as now)

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

it wasn't that long ago WWE was offering huge money on contracts. sometimes it's as simple as most money or most security. hard to fault someone when we don't know their situation or contract details.

It's just that for some people, even those huge money contracts didn't bring any security when shit hit the fan. In fact, they were a detriment, as WWE realized "we are paying The O.C. how much? Get rid of them, now!" 

Now, we shouldn't fault anyone for their decisions when it comes to their livelyhood, but anyone signing up with them should also be wise to consider that the WWE can kick them to the curb whenever and for whatever reason they feel like (not for sexual misconduct though, unless you confess to it).

I won't begrudge anyone signing a long term deal on locked in money given the current environment.

I'll always remember CM Punk's response when asked what he would do of WWE treated him like Shannon Moore: "I'll probably pay cash for my house like he did"

I'm paraphrasing there but if WWE is gonna pay good money for minimum dates and no need to kill yourself physically or creatively then why not cash in?

In 5 years time he can go to AEW or Impact & cut the same "Glass Ceiling/Fuck Vince/Look at me now Hunter" promo that everyone's been cutting since 2006...

• Like 4

Isn't part of the Carter issue that his visa won't let him work in America (hence working for free in AEW), whereas he can work for NXT UK, get paid, then be able to come to NXT proper when the pandemic subsides? Signing with the only company who can currently pay him doesn't feel that stupid, plus he'll be able to attend a full time training facility to improve, which AEW can't offer.

9 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Isn't part of the Carter issue that his visa won't let him work in America (hence working for free in AEW), whereas he can work for NXT UK, get paid, then be able to come to NXT proper when the pandemic subsides? Signing with the only company who can currently pay him doesn't feel that stupid, plus he'll be able to attend a full time training facility to improve, which AEW can't offer.

Well, if that's the case, then absolutely. At least get paid something, if working for free is the other option.

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

I won't begrudge anyone signing a long term deal on locked in money given the current environment.

I'll always remember CM Punk's response when asked what he would do of WWE treated him like Shannon Moore: "I'll probably pay cash for my house like he did"

I'm paraphrasing there but if WWE is gonna pay good money for minimum dates and no need to kill yourself physically or creatively then why not cash in?

In 5 years time he can go to AEW or Impact & cut the same "Glass Ceiling/Fuck Vince/Look at me now Hunter" promo that everyone's been cutting since 2006...

But as you saw a few months back those deals aren't guaranteed and you can be cut at anytime. If you somehow got a no cut contract it would be a different story. And not for nothing but AEW is a once a week gig so under normal circumstances would be less work.

If Pete Dunne returned to the USA, Ben Carter would be a candidate to jump the queue and be the top babyface there. Largely because every other halfway decent face (and some of the shit ones) has already lost to Walter, or is about to.

Ben Carter as good as he is will not get pushed much in WWE. He will look tiny next to Walter etc. Pete Dunne is fairly tall and has also worked hard in the gym. Pete Dunne needs to be one of the top stars on WWE main roster. He would be perfect as a prick heel on Smackdown.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Why are guys still so stupid as to sign with this company? 

Some people grew up watching WWE and always dreamed about working there. They think, "Even if it didn't work out for a lot of others, if they ever finally hire me, everything will go just the way I want, and I'll appear at multiple WrestleManias and eventually make it into the Hall of Fame."

Um, I guess.

37 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Pete Dunne is fairly tall 

No he isn't. They list him at 5'10" and they're exaggerating by a couple of inches. Tyler Bate is a legit 5'4"*. Does this look like a six inch height difference?

4D9E8A3400000578-0-image-a-51_1529941993

* Yes he is. I stood next to him and the top of his head was level with my chin.

• Like 1