DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2020 WRESTLING TALK

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There is a part of me that wants to say Robert Gibson, but that may just be because Morton is so great. 

Morton's great for sure, but I don't think it's fair to Gibson. I've always considered him to be a pretty wild-eyed guy, so I wouldn't say nondescript.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Stevie Ray has a lot of charisma, IMO. Love that dude even if he wasn't the greatest wrestler. His facial expressions, mugging, shit-talking, and goofy commentary are all aces. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't call D'Von nondescript...at least not in ECW. His oversells were hilarious. 

The Dudleys (the Bubba/D'Von version) were a more Southern style tag team. By the time they got to WWF, a lot of stuff they could do in ECW in terms of getting heat they couldn't really do anymore.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Morton's great for sure, but I don't think it's fair to Gibson. I've always considered him to be a pretty wild-eyed guy, so I wouldn't say nondescript.

Dave Chappelle Boo This Man GIF - DaveChappelle BooThisMan HalfBaked -  Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Eoae
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Stevie Ray has a lot of charisma, IMO. Love that dude even if he wasn't the greatest wrestler. His facial expressions, mugging, shit-talking, and goofy commentary are all aces. 

He worked as a manager in Booker's Reality Of Wrestling for a while, and he was tremendous. He would spend most of his time on the outside talking shit to the little kids in the audience, which would end up getting him big heat when it was time to interfere in the matches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There is a part of me that wants to say Robert Gibson, but that may just be because Morton is so great. 

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Dave Chappelle Boo This Man GIF - DaveChappelle BooThisMan HalfBaked -  Discover & Share GIFs

Hey, I believe this is my first meme response! I'm so excited I can hardly see straight!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't know if I've ever seen a good Stevie Ray singles match but I though he was very good as the "big man " half of Harlem Heat. Those tags in WCW fun just because of Booker

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

I think the idea is that Omega considers himself a great dramatic artist on par with someline like Olivier even though he clearly isn't. So the insult is not that Omega actually resembles Olivier in any way, but rather that Omega fancies himself that sort of figure when he's actually a ridiculous scenery-chewer. Kinda like calling an arrogant dumb guy "Einstein". (Not endorsing Cornette's opinion btw.)

I thought the Olivier nickname came because Kenny did an interview where he said something to the effect of he doesn't consider himself a wrestler but a performance artist 

• Like 2

I think the issues with Mero were also:

- they tried replicating Savage and Liz with him and Sable after the IC title tourney and no one bought it.

- Perfect leaving HHH mid angle with Mero and it was never really cared to be resolved as a result.

- his stuff in early 97 before he blew his knee out just as he was becoming a heel was pretty cool. That was actually kinda Savage like. Then he came back as lame boxer guy. Wasnt going to work in that era.

• Thanks 1

When you rewatch the Goldust/Hall stuff, its difficult to work out under today's lens.

- were they setting him up for a heel turn and to be Shawn's challenger after Mania?

- burying him on the way out

- putting over Goldust at decent lengths while just being super homophobic.

There was an interesting Cape Fear element to it I thought. But yeah definitely faces acting unjustifiably dickish personified.

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don't know if I've ever seen a good Stevie Ray singles match but I though he was very good as the "big man " half of Harlem Heat. Those tags in WCW fun just because of Booker

Hey, you like what you like, but I don’t think Stevie Ray was even a good big man in a tag team. I can’t even think of one power spot he had that looked good.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Jumping in on the tag discussion. D'Von wasn't non-descript, especially in ECW where he was really the glue that carried that act until Bubba developed his act fully and became the promo he became. He did great work with the early Dudley angle that turned them from the comedy act into the top heels. 

I'm also partial to the Dudley Southern oversell formula. Some of the heat stuff was annoying (and it's a big turnoff with the Bully Ray act in that he'll bump and sell for the babyface but the heel act is SO obnoxious that it's a turnoff) but them flopping and selling for babyfaces was always pretty fun. 

• Like 3

D'Von was always my favorite between the two in WWE, he was the one who did all the hard work. He got whooped on the whole match until the hot tag, had to jump off the top rope for the headbutt, and did all the heavy lifting for the 3D. Looking back on that time in tag team wrestling I guess I always liked the less showy partner. Didn't like Jeff Hardy but liked Matt. Liked Edge but loved Christian so much more. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

D'Von was always my favorite between the two in WWE, he was the one who did all the hard work. He got whooped on the whole match until the hot tag, had to jump off the top rope for the headbutt, and did all the heavy lifting for the 3D. Looking back on that time in tag team wrestling I guess I always liked the less showy partner. Didn't like Jeff Hardy but liked Matt. Liked Edge but loved Christian so much more. 

Shawn or Marty, Ricky or Robert?

Collective update: Two shows down, ten to go, and it's all been really good. Makabe vs Moriarty is MOTWeekend so far. Atticus Cogar was going for a Burton era Pengiun look for his deathmatch, and missed:

Ej69MYBXsAEYzqZ?format=jpg&name=large

The Lime Green is his team colour (like the Dark Order wear purple or the NWO Hollywood wear Black and White), but still. It did show the blood really well, so it wasn't a total failure. Never understood why guys would wear all black to a deathmatch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Collective update: Two shows down, ten to go, and it's all been really good. Makabe vs Moriarty is MOTWeekend so far. Atticus Cogar was going for a Burton era Pengiun look for his deathmatch, and missed:

Ej69MYBXsAEYzqZ?format=jpg&name=large

The Lime Green is his team colour (like the Dark Order wear purple or the NWO Hollywood wear Black and White), but still. It did show the blood really well, so it wasn't a total failure. Never understood why guys would wear all black to a deathmatch.

Weird. I had a back and forth here a month or two ago with a poster who swore Atticus Cogar's career was over. Are you sure you aren't mistaken? /sarcasm

I'm a petty man lol.

• Haha 1