DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/30/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I don’t think there is any match that makes sense to replace Luther Vs. Jericho as an anniversary match. This match was destined to take place.

Edit: Fuck it... Just hire Billy Mitchell as an onscreen manager of Sabian, and Miro. This is the role he was born to play.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Anyone who says that are hyped for Dr Luther vs Jericho is a damn liar and is not to be trusted.

Why? Just let Jericho have a vanity match on a show that’s built entirely around his 30 year career. He’s done plenty for AEW, I don’t see why people are complaining about this. It’s not even going to be a feud, it’ll be a two week program (at best) just like the Private Party stuff - and it furthers the story of Jericho/Hager climbing the ranks since Chaos Project are undefeated right now.

It’s really not a big deal.

• Like 4

Decent show.  Nothing bad at all.

Darby vs Starks was very good!  It 's exciting to see young midcard dudes going at it and knowing they'll be the uppercard one day.  It reminds me of HHH vs Rock back in the day where both guys were just coming up.  It's refreshing to have a national wrestling company where it's not just this upper echelon of a few guys and everyone else is meaningless and trading inconsequential wins.

Speaking of "nice to see," we got mentions of Dave Meltzer and Kris Zellner on the show.  It's cool to see a wrestling company that acknowledges there's a real world outside of it.

The sudden Luther involvement was whatever, but it's clear Jericho just wants to wrestle a friend of his on his 3oth anniversary show, so it's cool.  

MJF/Inner Circle SCUMBAGS COLLIDE segments are just tremendous.  I was really hoping he would get Santana and Ortiz mixed up.  

Bryce Remsburg was not bad on the mic!

I'm really lukewarm on FTR's Tully and Arn cosplay act.  I saw the Warrior/Rude finish coming a mile away and I'm not sure they needed to cheat to win their first match in this new gimmick.  But their gimmick is they're old timey heels so that's what we got.

AEW needs to tighten it up with their angles.  We had Scorpio going single for weeks and Kaz watching from the sidelines.  Now they're teaming again with barely any lip service paid to why.

Cody's promo was fine.  His entrance is getting longer and more ostentatious.  The "wrestling has more than one royal family" thing is so cringe and notice me senpai.  Didn't need the "will he or won't he" tease.  But again, all that being said, it was okay.

Britt Baker was really good!  What is it about women's matches that brings out the worst in JR?  His only compliment for Red Velvet (aside from saying she's his favorite cake????) was that she's a great athlete.  Because of course he would.  If you don't know what I mean, look up articles analyzing typical commentary on black QBs vs white QBs.  And then Baker is having a tremendous match and instead of saying, "wow, she's been working on her skills in her time off," he talks about how good her arms look and how she must have been working out.  Jesus.  I shudder to think what got edited off.  Funny how he made fun of Excalibur correctly calling a Fisherman's Neckbreaker but not a peep when Taz properly called a jujigatame.

THE BUTCHER!  Man, nice clubbering match there.  He was getting a but gassed but screw it. I'm ready to throw BIG ANDY into the group of guys who can be the next wave.  Digging Mox getting the bulldog choke over.

Love the fake Nick Jackson stunt foot.

Please sign Kilynn King thank you

Billy Mitchell's tie changed between shots.  Continuity error or some David Lynch shit?

Fun promo with Best Friends and Orange Cassidy.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I really liked the Moxley vs Butcher match, but I'm also used to seeing Butcher get gassed in tag matches. Moxley worked well around Butcher's tank being empty.

Also, man, the Butcher is great. Great look, everything he does looks like it hurts because he has big clubbering arms, and he's not bad in the ring. He adds to the argument that AEW needs a hoss tournament or something fun like that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of "nice to see," we got mentions of Dave Meltzer and Kris Zellner on the show.  It's cool to see a wrestling company that acknowledges there's a real world outside of it.

I totally missed the Zellner remark. What did they say? 

Butcher is perfectly decent for someone who only, in the past year, started to have more than 12 matches in a calendar year. 2016-2018 his matches were pretty sporadic, it wasn’t until 2019 that his wrestling schedule really picked up.

• Like 3

Not everybody is doing it, but I’m a fan of these enhancement matches not ending on finishers. 

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Funny how he made fun of Excalibur correctly calling a Fisherman's Neckbreaker but not a peep when Taz properly called a jujigatame.

Well he did jump on Taz for calling the la magistral a “la magistral“. It’s not the fucking Oklahoma Roll, JR. Like maybe it originally had a different name at one point, but for the last three decades it’s been either La Casita, or La Magistral. As soon as Taz backed off you could hear JR uncock his pistol.

Another thing... For all the JR talk about him being happy that Vince isn’t his ear. He sure does come across like an onscreen Vince in Gorilla sometimes.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Yeah, Butcher definitley struggled in parts of this match.  The submission work didn’t play to his strengths and he was clearly gassed by the end.  But the match was fine!  He by no means embarrassed himself in the biggest spot of his career to this point.  He showed enough to validate he’s somebody worth investing in for down the line (even if, at 42, there’s probably not a lot of line left for him).  I’m curious to see how he develops now that he’s wrestling full-time while his band is off the road.  His body is definitley changing.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not everybody is doing it, but I’m a fan of these enhancement matches not ending on finishers. 

Well he did jump on Taz for calling the la magistral a “la magistral“. It’s not the fucking Oklahoma Roll, JR. Like maybe it originally had a different name at one point, but for the last three decades it’s been either La Casita, or La Magistral. As soon as Taz backed off you could hear JR uncock his pistol.

Another thing... For all the JR talk about him being happy that Vince isn’t his ear. He sure does come across like an onscreen Vince in Gorilla sometimes.

Isn't the Oklahoma Roll a totally different thing?

As for Ross still acting like Vince is in his ear...Stockholm Syndrome, baby.  He still makes poop and pee jokes, too.  And, just like every old timer out there (hi Prichard!), he's just biding his time, slumming it, and longing for one more run in New York, brother.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Isn't the Oklahoma Roll a totally different thing?

Pretty sure a majistral is an Oklahoma roll with the extra arm trap at the start so yes. To be fair to JR, he's been calling that move an Oklahoma roll since at least the 90s and he'll never stop because it has the word Oklahoma in it.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Why? Just let Jericho have a vanity match on a show that’s built entirely around his 30 year career. He’s done plenty for AEW, I don’t see why people are complaining about this. It’s not even going to be a feud, it’ll be a two week program (at best) just like the Private Party stuff - and it furthers the story of Jericho/Hager climbing the ranks since Chaos Project are undefeated right now.

AEW can book whatever their little hearts desire. Please don't pretend anyone gives two cents about Luther (lower midcard heel) taking on Chris Jericho (main event heel). Who could possibly be invested in that other than super duper hardcores who would know their history but hadn't bothered to watch any of Luther's recent bad performances? That's a pretty small niche of a niche. 

Speaking of "nice to see," we got mentions of Dave Meltzer and Kris Zellner on the show.  It's cool to see a wrestling company that acknowledges there's a real world outside of it.

Speaking of an infinitesimal audience, way to reach for the people who may know who Dave Metzler much less Kris Zellner actually is. Maybe they can bring up Parv and Johnny Sorrow next week!  

Edited by Goodear
  • Thanks 1

Ricky Starks is really making a Taka Michinoku out of his chance here.  It seemed like he was brought in to feed Darby and he's killing it.  Dude's all over Dark going from the ring right to the announce table. He's gotten to stand over the World Champion and made that really made that beatdown about him. He's just got to work in some mid match signature stuff and not be so giving in enhancement matches as he's going to be all over the show for years.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Ricky Starks is really making a Taka Michinoku out of his chance here.  It seemed like he was brought in to feed Darby and he's killing it.  Dude's all over Dark going from the ring right to the announce table. He's gotten to stand over the World Champion and made that really made that beatdown about him. He's just got to work in some mid match signature stuff and not be so giving in enhancement matches as he's going to be all over the show for years.

Love Starks. Only other suggestion I’d have is he needs to tone down his rehearsed ring entrance body movement shtick. Way too WWE-like. Just walk and be a cocky asshole.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Speaking of an infinitesimal audience, way to reach for the people who may know who Dave Metzler much less Kris Zellner actually is. Maybe they can bring up Parv and Johnny Sorrow next week!  

Um okay.  I didn't point that out because I thought mentioning Meltzer would reach people or whatever snarky point you're trying to make.  I was just contrasting those mentions with WWE, who treats their show as if it happens in a fictional universe where nothing not-WWE exists, including Covid.  It's nice to see a wrestling show that takes place in the real world is what I was trying to get across.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Love Starks. Only other suggestion I’d have is he needs to tone down his rehearsed ring entrance body movement shtick. Way too WWE-like. Just walk and be a cocky asshole.

If agree the pose is very performance center ‘move in a way no human has ever moved before’ and could be moved to something a lot more natural.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Um okay.  I didn't point that out because I thought mentioning Meltzer would reach people or whatever snarky point you're trying to make.  I was just contrasting those mentions with WWE, who treats their show as if it happens in a fictional universe where nothing not-WWE exists, including Covid.  It's nice to see a wrestling show that takes place in the real world is what I was trying to get across.

It’s one thing to bring up the NBA Finals or COVID or the Election. It’s quite another to bring up dirt sheet writers no one outside of your hardcore wrestling bubble is going to know exist. Let’s say Moxley is on the cover of Sports illustrated. That’s worth mentioning because people know what SI is (even if they haven’t read it in 20 years). You wouldn’t mention Mox being on the cover of the fanzine I printed out at Kinkos after work because no one has any idea what it is. It’s one thing to be George Clooney’s favorite wrestler and another to be George Monet’s. Who is George Monet? No one, I just made him up.

Edited by Goodear

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Kingston introduced Butcher as "Kris Zellner's favorite wrestler."

Just a clarification, it turned out he said "Griselda's favorite wrestler", a rapper that has a new album out this week with a song called "The Butcher and The Blade".

I heard "Kris Zellner" first also, and so did a lot of other people on the Twitter timeline. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darby and Ricky have like ten different matches left in them. That is a hell of a pair right there. We already knew Darby was great but Ricky is a star. 

Cody, you're in a wide-open state, go get a haircut... a better one, anyway. Whoever did that to you should be punished. 

"Glorified backyarders, participation trophy guys" is a great diss. The reaction might be better than Tony's -- Ex saying "I hate it, I HATE IT" and Taz saying "I feel bad for Tony, ya know, but I get it" ? The match itself was awesome but they lost me after the powerbomb/Dragon suplex combo, I was already worried about bloat and then they just went over the top. Tully steals a great finish though. He needs to start slipping them invisible knuckle dusters. 

Jericho/Cassidy was really good. Jericho/Hager vs. Luther/Serpentico should be a DEATH MATCH! Speaking of gimmick matches, looks they're gonna have Best Friends and Cody (and maybe Mox?) vs. Dark Order for a War Games. 

Taz again: "Free dental gimmick" haha. Where has this Britt Baker been? 

Eddie wrapping his chain around his fist was fucking GREAT. It's the little things. I feel bad for Butcher watching this again, he's just sucking air. The announcers are even trying to cover for him. He also can't sell for shit. But it wasn't really that bad of a match honestly, and this was a really good show overall. 

• Like 2