DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 17: Holm vs. Aldana (10/3/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

EiTIyG3XkAgoBii.jpeg?1600544008

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 17: Holm vs. Aldana 
October 3, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island) 

Holly Holm (136) vs. Irene Aldana (136) - Holm, DEC (unanimous)
Yorgan de Castro (261) vs. Carlos Felipe (263) - Felipe, DEC (unanimous)
Germaine de Randamie (136) vs. Julianna Peña (135.5) - De Randamie, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (3:25)
Kyler Phillips (136) vs. Cameron Else (136) - Phillips, TKO (punches), R2 (0:44)
Dequan Townsend (186) vs. Duško Todorović (186) - Todorović, TKO (punches), R2 (3:15)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Carlos Condit (171) vs. Court McGee (170.5) - Condit, DEC (unanimous)
Charles Jourdain (145) vs. Joshua Culibao (145.5) - DRAW (split)
Jordan Williams (182) vs. Nassourdine Imavov (185.5) - Imavov, DEC (unanimous)
Loma Lookboonmee (116) vs. Jinh Yu Frey (116) - Lookboonmee, DEC (unanimous)
Casey Kenney (136) vs. Heili Alateng (136) - Kenney, DEC (unanimous)
Luigi Vendramini (156) vs. Jessin Ayari (156) - Vendramini, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:12)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Luigi Vendramini
Performance of the Night: Duško Todorović
Performance of the Night: Kyler Phillips
Performance of the Night: Germaine de Randamie

Rating: 1.01 million viewers    

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Update to UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Aldana

Due to a positive COVID-19 test, Roman Kopylov has been removed from his middleweight bout with Tom Breese. Replacing him is undefeated Canadian UFC newcomer KB Bhullar, who has finished an impressive six of his eight wins in the first round. This bout will be moved to UFC Fight Night: Moraes vs. Sandhagen on October 10.

UFC Fight Night headlined by top women’s bantamweight contenders Holly Holm and Irene Aldana, takes place this Saturday, October 3, from UFC FIGHT ISLAND on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island. The main card will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET / 7:30 p.m. PT on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+, with the prelims exclusively on ESPN+ at 7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT. 

https://www.ufc.com/news/statement-fight-island-cards

I was a little surprised to see Bhullar is from Edmonton. Obviously the Sikh community in Canada is not a monolith but I live in one of the major pockets just outside of Vancouver, taught at a school with a 90% Indo-Canadian student body for a few years, and thought he'd be from Surrey/Vancouver or Toronto, maybe Montreal.  Neato.

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

I was a little surprised to see Bhullar is from Edmonton. Obviously the Sikh community in Canada is not a monolith but I live in one of the major pockets just outside of Vancouver, taught at a school with a 90% Indo-Canadian student body for a few years, and thought he'd be from Surrey/Vancouver or Toronto, maybe Montreal.  Neato.

I guess Bhullar is pretty common surname because I thought he was somehow related to Arjan Bhullar who was in the UFC not all that long ago.

• jaedmc pinned this topic

Yeah, clearly levels above JYF. Love seeing a Muay Thai fighter enter MMA because they throw everything they have into their strikes. It's refreshing. Frey's counter striking looked promising in her debut despite the loss, but it was nothing in comparison to Lookboonmee's striking. 

• Like 1

That was such a great performance from Holly. Amateur shit from Aldana and her corner with that fucked up strategy for 25 minutes. I enjoyed seeing Holm that aggressive. Perhaps the most aggressive she's been to date?

The ads for Gaethje/Khabib remind me of when I thought, based on his WSOF zombie shuffle, Gaethje couldn't beat like 30 of UFC's lightweights. He's made it work but improved so much of his game in terms of movement and defending himself just enough. And his chin is still going strong but yeah huge improvements defensively.

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That was such a great performance from Holly. Amateur shit from Aldana and her corner with that fucked up strategy for 25 minutes. I enjoyed seeing Holm that aggressive. Perhaps the most aggressive she's been to date?

I think a lot of that aggression was because Aldana was just following her around. That's like part of the Holly Holm path to victory flow chart.  Is she just walking towards you? No -> Keeping circling Yes -> Counter counter then circle.

I wonder if Aldana's team ever watched footage of Holly Holm because outside of Nunes (part of that is Nunes' strategy to always meet you head on unless it's GdR after rounds 1 and 2 of their second fight), Holm doesn't let people just get inside on her. If they do, she's just gonna clinch and probably try to take you down. Moreover, Aldana is coming into a fight for the first time where she isn't the better boxer. She could cook everyone else on the feet minus GdR, Holly Holm, and probably Nunes as well. Unfortunately, that's the elite of the division. We saw what Aldana's ceiling is tonight.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only watched the main and holy hell Holly Holm just devoured Aldana. She DOUBLED her previous best sig strike number. She fought like her family was held hostage somewhere and needed the win to set them free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This show averaged 1.01 million viewers, which is pretty impressive.

I think Holm is still grandfathering in eyeballs, even if it is just people who watch her fights because she is "the girl who knocked out Ronda Rousey."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AA484 said:

I think Holm is still grandfathering in eyeballs, even if it is just people who watch her fights because she is "the girl who knocked out Ronda Rousey."

That itself is amazing because next month, that would have been half a decade ago.

• Like 1

• jaedmc unpinned this topic