DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

Spoiler

nightcrawler

18) NIGHTCRAWLER (2014)

Director: Dan Gilroy

655 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Broken Lamp, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Caley, EVA, KLOS, New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95/85%) : METACRITIC (76/8.6)

@Technico Supportwrote

Spoiler

I'm pretty much late to the party on everything but I highly recommend Nightcrawler to anyone who hasn't seen it.  Great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal  that brought to mind Travis Bickle and other weird loner types who are just a little off on the human interaction front.  A very good film and a fun little indictment of TV news' "if it bleeds it leads" culture.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3241-february-2015-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=321794

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Yes we had a tie this high that I had to break. Yes it was completely determined by Broken Lamp's placement of the movies on his ballot. (This was funnier when it actually was BL's fault. Stupid everything)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler
br2049

17) BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

659 Points (10 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: The Z (#4) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Broken Lamp, Andy in Kansas, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Caley, EVA, KLOS, New Blood, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (88/81%) : METACRITIC (81/8.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Also had a 6th place vote from Control

• Like 1

Blade Runner is interesting because I love the original, and I love Villenueve, but I always feel like I have to put off watching movies when I feel over hyped. Sometimes I let myself go years before I watch a movie I actually want to watch. So yeah, I still haven't seen it.

I had no idea people even liked it that much. I can't remember what any of the response was other than it didn't do as well as the studio had hoped(which I may be making up).

Spoiler
scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world

16) SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (2010)

Director: Edgar Wright

663 Points (9 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, RIPPA, BP, Natural, EVA, Control, New Blood, Octopus - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82/84%) : METACRITIC (69/8.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Also had a 9th place vote from EVA. #146 on the GOAT list

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I had no idea people even liked it that much. I can't remember what any of the response was other than it didn't do as well as the studio had hoped(which I may be making up).

This is from indiewire so take it for what it is worth

Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” was an unfortunate flop for Warner Bros. during its theatrical release last year. Despite earning critical acclaim (IndieWire gave the film an A- review), the long-awaited sequel just couldn’t catch on in theaters. “2049” tapped out with just $92 million in the U.S. and $259 million worldwide, well below the estimated $300 million the studio spent on production and marketing. But it turns out the sequel is still making money.

According to the industry data and research outlet The Numbers, “2049” has pulled in an impressive $21 million and counting from home video sales just in 2018. The movie was released December 26, 2017 on DVD, followed by a Blu-ra release January 16, 2018. The home video gross is inching “2049” closer to matching its $300 budget. The total 2018 gross is split between $3.8 million worth of DVDs sold and nearly $18 million worth of Blu-ray copies.

With $21 million earned as of April 2018, “2049” is the third highest-grossing home video release of 2018, trailing only the horror blockbuster “It” and the family box office surprise “Wonder.” Villeneuve’s movie pulls ahead of “Wonder” on the Blu-ray chart and sits in the #2 position behind “It.” Overall, “2049” has sold just under one million DVD and Blu-rays in 2018.

The film’s huge home video sales are surprising given its disappointing theatrical run and the fact”2049″ opened all the way back in October. Positive reviews and the film’s five Oscar nominations and two wins in January and February seem to have kept the title in rotation. IndieWire has reached out to Warner Bros. for comment.

• Thanks 1

I will do 15-11 tomorrow and the Top 10 Friday.

I need to catch up on the Master list and do some admin so I can get out some "stats" to y'all ASAP over the weekend.

• Like 3

Blade Runner finishing this high is a definite surprise.  I’d almost forgotten it and assumed maybe it just didn’t make the  list.  I think it’s going to have an afterlife very similar to the original film, in terms of people discovering it’s awesomeness over time.

Phantom Thread was the last thing I watched for this project, thanks to Peacock.  (It remains the only thing I have ever watched on Peacock.)

Edited by EVA

Pretty sure 5 of my top 15 films will make the remaining top 15, so pretty happy if that's true. Even if my #1 (Revenant) dropped lower than I expected. 

I guess Ragnarok got voted highly because it's very easy to watch compared to the Avengers movies which need more time and energy invested into them. Ragnarok is almost stand-alone which is rare for a Marvel movie.

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

So excited to see Phantom Thread and then Thor Ragnarok came after to ruin it. On paper, it feels like that one should be my favorite of all the MCU stuff but it just didn't vibe with me. It was just a long MCU SNL Sketch and nothing really mattered except for the rapid fire jokes. I didn't give a shit what happened neither did anyone else. At least I cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm just a big party pooper today. Ignore me.

I dunno I feel like Ragnarok while turning one of the most boring MCU characters (Thor) into one of the most entertaining is a major achievement, what is most fascinating is how they also made Thor (especially in The two Led Zep montages) more badass than they had managed to do in his previous four films!

• Like 2

Man, Kieran Culkin steals every scene he’s in as Wallace in PILGRIM.  I was always shocked that he didn’t make the jump to bigger things for a long time afterwards, until some very smart person cast him to basically play an R-rated version of Wallace on SUCCESSION.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jaedmc said:

So excited to see Phantom Thread and then Thor Ragnarok came after to ruin it. On paper, it feels like that one should be my favorite of all the MCU stuff but it just didn't vibe with me. It was just a long MCU SNL Sketch and nothing really mattered except for the rapid fire jokes. I didn't give a shit what happened neither did anyone else. At least I cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm just a big party pooper today. Ignore me.

Nah, it's not my favorite of the Thor movies, either. I don't like Banner's story arc, I rolled my eyes at most of the attempts at humor, and the ending was way too obviously set up for them to all get killed in the beginning of Infinity War.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

phantom_thread

20) PHANTOM THREAD (2017)

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

649 Points (8 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Bill S Preston (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Andy in Kansas, Octopus, Caley, EVA, Sublime, Hobo Joe,

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91/71%) : METACRITIC (90/7.7)

@eliziumwrote

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Movie received one other Top 10 vote. #6 from Jae

I added this to my Netflix list as recommended by @Octopus and when I got round to see it, bloody thing was removed.

Reveal hidden contents

thor_ragnarok

19) THOR: RAGNAROK (2017)

Director: Taika Waititi

655 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: BP, Natural, JL Sigman, The Z, Octopus, Sublime, Caley, KLOS, Control, RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93/87%) : METACRITIC (74/7.8)

Very surprised to find Thor: Ragnarok (2017) as the highest ranked MCU Movie. I really liked the film and it's humour placing #40 on my ballot but there's six MCU films I rate above it:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

5. Iron Man (2008).

6. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

Okay since it dropped I will now say this - and this is probably the only time I slightly spoil things

That was the last movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to drop (remember - Spiderverse doesn't count for that)

21 of the 23 movies were eligible.

12 made the list (probably one too many - I am looking at your Iron Man 3)

I would still say I more surprised at how "low" Black Panther was than Ragnarok being the highest one

The ones that did in alphabetical order:

Avengers Assemble (2012), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019), Black Panther (2018), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014),  Captain America: Civil War (2016), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Iron Man 3 (2013), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Thor (2011) and Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

Eligible but missing out in alphabetical order:

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015), Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018), Captain Marvel (2019), Doctor Strange (2016), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017),  Iron Man 2 (2010), Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) and Thor: The Dark World (2013).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

nightcrawler

18) NIGHTCRAWLER (2014)

Director: Dan Gilroy

655 Points (11 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Broken Lamp (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Natural, Andy in Kansas, The Z, Bill S Preston, Hobo Joe, Caley, EVA, KLOS, New Blood

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95/85%) : METACRITIC (76/8.6)

@Technico Supportwrote

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty much late to the party on everything but I highly recommend Nightcrawler to anyone who hasn't seen it.  Great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal  that brought to mind Travis Bickle and other weird loner types who are just a little off on the human interaction front.  A very good film and a fun little indictment of TV news' "if it bleeds it leads" culture.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3241-february-2015-movie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=321794

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Yes we had a tie this high that I had to break. Yes it was completely determined by Broken Lamp's placement of the movies on his ballot

@RIPPA, I had Nightcrawler (2014) #8. Sorry to you and @Broken Lamp. Nightcrawler is a film that looks at the media from how grisly news footage is acquired to ethics, and lack thereof. I was taken aback at how sinewy Gyllenhaal is, unlikeable too. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance wasn't even nominated by the Academy Awards for Best Actor. That's one of the worst mistakes in the history of the Academy Awards. Gyllenhaal should have won.

Reveal hidden contents

scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world

16) SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (2010)

Director: Edgar Wright

663 Points (9 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, RIPPA, BP, Natural, EVA, Control, New Blood, Octopus - HONORABLE MENTION: The Z

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (82/84%) : METACRITIC (69/8.3)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Also had a 9th place vote from EVA. #146 on the GOAT list

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) was my #16. I watched the film twice the same day on TV and bought the DVD, I rarely do either. Great story, performances and nods to video game tropes such as boss fights and extra lives. One of those films you watch and wish you did at the cinema.

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@RIPPA, I had Nightcrawler (2014) #8. Sorry to you and @Broken Lamp.

Yes you did - math is hard. I will edit

Of course I blame this on you submitting your ballot in reverse order ?

• Thanks 1

Nightcrawler is a movie that was hurt on my ballot by my not rewatching it until long after I'd submitted it. I remembered it including a pretty good Gyllenhaal performance, but I don't think I've seen it since its theatrical run. So I tacked it on near the end of my ballot knowing it deserved a spot. But rewatching it, it's an all-the-way awesome movie. The nighttime Los Angeles they create in this movie is unnerving and dirty and exploitative and you just wish all these people were at home where they belong. Every different sociopathic, transactional power dynamic Gyllenhaal gets to play with that affected, almost-alien delivery is phenomenal. Just call him Bob Dylan, because Gyllenhaal contains multitudes in this movie. This thing would have jumped at least thirty places on my ballot if I'd remembered how good it was. 

And since I brought up Succession earlier, it was fun to see some of the same principles about television news on display (spoilers for Nightcrawler?):

Spoiler

EG1xTB1VUAAuwb0.png

succ9-logan.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Man, Kieran Culkin steals every scene he’s in as Wallace in PILGRIM.  I was always shocked that he didn’t make the jump to bigger things for a long time afterwards, until some very smart person cast him to basically play an R-rated version of Wallace on SUCCESSION.

Also: One of us, one of us

Spoiler